TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 rebel 550 convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djaws24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 rebel 550 convertible
    Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 7:34pm
I managed to locate a 1968 rebel 550 convertible for my son and I to restore. I’m from De. And found this car in Vir. on EBay. I made the guy an offer and he accepted it, so my son and I went down and picked it up with a trailer. I was told this car was a 1 owner car. The last time it saw the road was back in 1986. When we got down there the guy told me the story on the car. An old lady owned it and had passed recently. She gave this car to him to restore or sell. He did a little bit of work to it and lost interest. This car has a six cyl. in it and he got it running with some fresh gas and a tune up, and a new starter. We drove it up on the trailer, very carefully, because it had no brakes. He gave me all the paperwork with it, which included everything the dealer gave the woman when she ordered it brand new in 1968. It even had a little bronze plate in the glove box stating the car was specially ordered for this person. It has everything in it from the build sheet to the receipt when she picked it up. I actually had one of these when I was younger, which I should have held on to but you know how that goes, that car was a 1967 rebel SST 343 v8 car. Now the 68 is driving down the road and almost ready for the paint shop. I can’t wait to take this car to some car shows in my area this summer. It definitely will be the only one there.

Edited by Djaws24 - Feb/21/2019 at 7:37pm
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 7:48pm
Welcome to the forum and keep posting until you get enough points to post pictures. That way we can keep up as your "new car" evolves !!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2019 at 12:12am
Those base 550s are rare birds. Good luck with the restoration.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2019 at 7:31pm
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the AMC group. You are correct in that you will have the only Rebel, convertible or not, at 99 percent of the shows that you attend. Hope you and your son make lots of great memories with the car.
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 12:07am
Have a photo of the bronze plate? Congrats on the new ride.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 7:43am
that one is a keeper one owner wow enjoy the car and time you spend with your son. ramble on
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Djaws24 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djaws24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 5:15pm
Hello again and thank you for all your replies, I would love to post some pics but there is not an option for me to do so? Does any one know how I can get that working? Also, I need some help locating some parts.
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 5:44pm
Have to have a minimum number of posts to post pictures.

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 11:25pm
just welcome new members and comment on other post you need 30 post to post pictures your on your way I see that
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 3:22pm
Is this the car?

Looks like a great father and son project if it is. Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic