TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust Gaskets??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Gaskets??
    Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 3:12pm
Picked up my rebuilt engine from the builder.  I have had the stock exhaust manifolds cleaned and painted, and I am putting them on stock heads that have been rebuilt.  The builder tells me that I will not need to run exhaust gaskets (metal on metal) and I should be OK. In fact he recommended not putting them in. 
Has anyone heard of that before?

Mike
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 3:16pm
My 1983 258 came from Kenosha metal to metal. I put gaskets on during rebuild. Me personally I prefer gaskets.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 3:26pm
The White70JavelinSST V8 came from Kenosha without exhaust manifold to head gaskets. Over 50 years and 140K miles later, still no gaskets, still no trouble. I really don't see the need.  Just my two cents worth.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Bill Mitchell View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 3:29pm
I have rebuilt several AMC's and have not used gaskets.  Works fine.  Personal choice I think.
Bill Mitchell

73amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 9:03pm
Thank you all.  I appreciate the feedback!

Mike
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 9:28pm
A stiff board (Oak)and some 120 grit across the head surface and the same across the manifold if all is true your good to go
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 10:24pm
Manufacturers (AMC was not the only one) did not use exhaust gaskets because the parts were new and true. Exhaust manifolds have a tendency to warp because of the excessive heat. The leaks manifest during the removal and replacement of the manifold. That is why gasket kits include exhaust gaskets. Do all manifolds warp? No. Can the manifolds be machined true again? Yes, but gaskets are cheaper.

The answer to the question about whether to use or not use the gaskets on your engine is simple. Don't use them. If you find there are exhaust leaks, then put the gaskets on. Some will argue there is better flow without the gaskets, and they are correct. However, on a street driven car using factory exhaust manifolds, the difference will be negligible.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 10:51pm
If a non-warped manifold that would seal without a gasket is used with a gasket, it will soon become warped or pitted and require a gasket forever.

Getting a machine shop to PROPERLY reface a manifold or head to not require gaskets is near impossible. They often screw things up worse.

The bad news is a warped manifold or head without a gasket will leak, but the leak won't usually get worse unlike a gasket blowing out.

I try to get away without gaskets if possible. Otherwise, Remflex gaskets. I blow out all other kinds of gaskets with my heavy right foot.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
MagentaMan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagentaMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I try to get away without gaskets if possible. Otherwise, Remflex gaskets. I blow out all other kinds of gaskets with my heavy right foot.

Remflex are the BEST exhaust gaskets I have ever used!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 6:31pm
One Bad Rambler, you must have good oak or a place with good humidity control. I find using a piece of float glass works very well for checking flat and lapping. An old large coffee table with a piece of 5/8" glass.  My buddy uses a piece of granite from a broken kitchen counter top.

DON"T bring car parts into the kitchen. Last time I was caught with pistons in the dishwasher it was pure heck!

If you take your time with a file and then grades of paper, you can get old manifolds flat yourself. I find some machine shops not very good at setting up properly to machine the faces and you get back worse then what you send out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic