TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

High Performance Engine Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Performance Engine Oil
    Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 11:40am
I'm researching what type of oil to use in my supercharged Megastreet engine. After about 1,500 miles on the current naturally aspirated engine (about 460 HP) the distributor drive gears were nearly worn out. I was using Mobil1 synthetic. My assumption is since new engines don't use the old school distributor drive that oil isn't formulated to protect it. It was repaired and now running 10W 30 Brad Penn Grade 1. Now I'm finding out that doesn't protect as well as originally thought.

Looking for the best oil for a 650 hp street car with a distributor driven oil pump. Found a rather long blog on many different oils and test results for them. From what I can tell Valvoline's 10W 30 VR1 conventional racing or VR1 Synthetic racing oils would suit this engine well.

This is going to be my last AMC performance engine as it is simply cost prohibitive for me to go beyond or even repeat. I'd like it to be reliable and as low-maintenance as possible.

Anyone have any real-world experience or results with oils in a similar engine?

Thanks,
-Steve-

wheelz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 11:56am
I only use Schaeffer Oils in ALL my cars (and the lawn tractor). In the race cars I use Micron moly 30w and buy it in the 5 gallon bucket. Schaeffer IMO is simply the highest grade motor oil with superior base stocks and additive packages
wheelz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 12:57pm
Oh and one of the only oil mods I do is the small line from the sender tee to a hole above the gear in the TC for added insurance at 65psi
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 2:42pm
It doesn't sound like an oil quality issue. Many run Mobile 1 with no issues & I have run Brad Penn in my own race motors with no oil related issues. Might look into timing chain oil hole alignment & distributor/cam gear engagement?
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 2:51pm
The best oil is the one that keeps everything lubricated and satisfies your peace of mind.   For some, that means a conventional oil with lots of ZDDP.   For others, it's a synthetic of latest technology.

Lots of things get blamed on oil that aren't the oil at all.  Select a grade based on your assembled clearances and operating temperatures.   For me, I try to select an Acea A3/B4 spec oil.  Many of the popular OEM grades don't satisfy this spec.  If the oil meets spec, you have good flow and proper operating temperatures, it should be good.

Hope this helps, RD
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 4:56pm
Just a repeat of an old thread, but the Valvoline VR1 10W40 has better cold point pour and the same additives your engine needs. The VR1 10W30 is good also but the VR1 10W40, specification wise, is a better oil for your build.
wheelz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 5:23pm
I was a huge Valvoline fan since the 80s. Sadly it is not the same  even in VR form. Schaefer is far superior in every way. Buy a quart and just look at it. Btw when I assemble a new engine I coat the dist/cam gear with dry Film CRC moly and then douse it in moly graphite paste. This ensures lube when a new engine is getting the oil to the top. Honestly I have never lost a dist/cam gear and have hard time understanding why folks are shredding  gears
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 5:24pm
Seems like you had underlying issues with gears and clearances.

Mobil 1 is a good oil, and i use it in my engines.

If concerned about your new build, give Joe Gibbs oil a try. There has been a lot of discussion on Honda threads back in 2011, when full synthetic was becoming the norm from the factory. Plus the myth of high lithium break in oil being a full term break in process beyond 3k. Many drove it a full year until maintanence minder kicked in.

None the less, a racing engineer had a break down of the best oils and why. At one time Penzoil was the best over the counter oil for performance use, and kept up over the well known performance names.

Joe Gibbs has great qaulities, and his testing shows ZDDP additives not being best for high loads and heat stress.

I will search for the link, it is very informative and covers just about every oil known, and would be impossible to figure out key differences on your own or here say.

Should have a link soon.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 6:25pm
This is a long oil list with specs, which is linked at the bottom of Drew's main page of his thread, created way back on one of the Honda threads. Haven't looked at it in years, so i expect it to be either updated or poof!

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/338442-drews-quest-toughest-motor-oil-something-like.html

I did a quick look... if your planning to run 0w-30, Gulf Competition oil ranks pretty high on heat drop off. Which is key on good oils. Once you get into the high oil temps, great oils fall short. If you are running 40w you options are limited in the better and more afforable options.

Oddly enough for thoughs running 40w, Mobil 1 euro spec is pretty impressive. Great ranking for over the counter oil, if available in your location. If not online shops should carry it.

0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SN, synthetic = 127,221 psi

Edited by 304-dude - Feb/10/2019 at 6:56pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
wheelz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 7:21pm
Mobil 1 is a good oil and I have used it in my 2 GM LS3 powered race cars a C6 Vette and a 2001 Trans Am  but I switched to 5/30 Schaeffer. Gibbs oil is repackaged and he hangs his name on it to sell it and it might be good oil but I aint buying it cause I doubt there is any engineering behind it beyond his name  The Schaeffer oils have not only superior base stocks and PAOs but added soluble moly MoS2 and penetro 90. No comparison to any other race type oils on the market and the paraffinic 30w in the AMCs clings with a green film that is very noticeable and sexy I might add.

Does the OP say if they used an aftermarket TC?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic