TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 AMX seat covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 AMX seat covers
    Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 9:15pm
Jerry....Seat Backs on my wife's '74 Javelin:

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
MR291 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 2:46pm
My clips are black and so far they are ok. I just can't seem to get the circular push-on retaining clip off the back of them. As you said they are like hen's teeth to find so I don't want to torque on them too hard.

Edited by MR291 - Feb/08/2019 at 5:18pm
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 2:41pm
You are in the unique club of having to deal with these wonderful 74 seats!!  If the pin or clip is rusty...sorry you are screwed, the pin WILL break.  All my Matador X's with buckets (3 of them) have this exact same cover and buttons as Javelin...the back itself is actually identical.   I have broken so many to get a set it is not funny...the toughest part is the buttons are in color too.....so you have to have that right.  There are NO replacements and in 40 years of buying out dealer inventories, I have never found even one.   I have bought many seats just to rob the buttons........never though about it much years ago, but a razor knife with get them out of a junk yard seat very quick.   This rectangular button was only used in 1974 and 1975, 1976 up the button went to a round design.   Don't want to sound like a "Debbie Downer" just lived this issue for a lot of years.  Maybe someone on here has some junk seats you can get the buttons from....what color are you looking for?   I have a few tan ones somewhere...all my cars are black or white interiors.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
MR291 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 12:59pm
Recovering the front seats in vinyl and there are the three rectangular buttons on the covers near the top that are held in place by a round push on clip on the inside. Question it how to remove these without breaking them. Too easy to cut them off but I can not seem to find replacement clips. Any suggestions? Thanks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic