TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - anyone install an American Power Train Hydromax?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

anyone install an American Power Train Hydromax?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone install an American Power Train Hydromax?
    Posted: Feb/07/2019 at 6:01am
Looking to replace my stock mechanical Z bar clutch throwout setup on my 69 AMX with the Hydromax hydraulic setup.  Has anyone done this?  It seems simple enough and promises to be a vast improvement over the Z bar.  If you have done this I would appreciate any feedback or tips that you may have.  I intend to keep the stock bell housing and T-10 trans.  Also, if you installed one, did you stay with the stock type clutch or did you have to go to a diaphragm clutch?  Thanks in advance.
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 3:01pm
I installed a Ram HD hydraulic throw out bearing when I converted my 70 AMX from auto to T10.  American Power Train wasn't doing an AMC kit at that time, however I purchased their firewall mount for the clutch master cylinder, and it works great.  I used a Ram clutch.  I fabbed a rod with a rod end bolted to the pedal and a union to connect to the MC rod.  The Ram hydraulic TO bearing would not fit the larger diameter T10 front bearing retainer, so I used the newer, smaller diameter bearing retainer.  It was too small, so I called Ram's tech people and the tech said that I could either shim it or let it rattle.  I shimmed it.  Took me quite a while to get it working, later I realized that it would have worked right away if I had bled the master cylinder, Duh. 

I did the install 4 years ago, and it has worked OK, however I never really liked the angle of the clutch rod/MC thru the firewall, so this winter I fabbed a lever system to connect the MC rod to the clutch pedal, orienting the MC 90 degrees from the firewall.  I like my lever system, but have only tested once due to winter/salt on roads. 
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 9:56am
Thanks for the input and to those that PM'ed me.  I'm trying to convince myself to go with silver sports kit for AMC that has everything for a 5 speed setup, TKO 500 trans, bell housing, hydraulic bearing and master, shifter in the "correct" spot, clutch and diaphram type pressure plate.  Of course that's pretty expensive especially considering I just rebuilt my t-10 2 years ago...   LOL
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 10:15am
GreyhoundsAMX did a custom hydraulic clutch setup, and looks good, and works. You may ask him about it. He has posted a few pictures, but not sure if any discussion was done, as I recall the clutch setup was not tge main topic.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by 390amx1 390amx1 wrote:

... Of course that's pretty expensive especially considering I just rebuilt my t-10 2 years ago...   LOL

i bet you can laugh your way to the bank though -- a rebuilt T10 with some miles on it to shake it out is probably worth a few bucks. they seem scarce these days!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2019 at 5:54am
If anyone might want a T-10 close with just under 1,000 miles on it and a Lakewood scatter proof bell housing, excellent Hurst shifter, nicely painted and rebuilt Z bar and throw out arm with new rubber pieces let me know, it might push me over the edge on the 5 speed!  Jimmy Snyder rebuilt it in march 2017 and the only miles on it are to Auburn and back this last summer....
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2019 at 6:17am
After long debate I am going with the Silver Sports Transmission "perfect fit" trans kit for my 69 AMX.  It is a TKO600 5 speed trans with case modified to fit w/o tunnel enlargement, diaphragm clutch, hydraulic throw out, wilwood master, shifter with "exact fit" in existing shifter hole, GM Muncie to AMC bell, output yoke, speedo gear, roller pilot bearing, mounts and bolts....  They claim that I will reuse my cross member, driveshaft w/o cutting and steel flywheel.  I will attempt to document the install and final for anyone interested.  Engine is currently out for rebuild so the summary wont be available for a few months.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 7:32am
I run the TKO600 in my 70 Javelin from SST. I really like the guys at Silver Sport, in my application I needed something to stand up to over 600 lbs of torque so they sent all the internals of my 600 out to have them cryo treated. In my application I went from auto with center console to the TKO so I didn't need the offset and instead went with the center shift that is standard on the TKO. I didn't have to modify the tunnel but where I had to go with a double disk clutch I had to use the .250" spacer to get enough clearance between the pressure plate and hydraulic throw out. I did wind up having to modify my transmission crossmember. My application is a bit different than most but it still wasn't that bad and I did not need to modify my tunnel aside from pulling out the old auto shifter and making a new shift plate for the tunnel and that was really simple.

I think you made a great choice you will love it. Cruising the interstate at 70-75 MPH turning 2000-2500 RPM is pretty sweet.
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 5:32pm
I am also looking to install the American Powertrain Hydromax Clutch on my 1969 SC Rambler but keeping the T-10. Have any installed on their AMX or Rambler this setup with T-10? Any problems or suggestions with clutch or pressure plate. Wanted to use Centerforce clutch and pressure plate. Any help is appreciated!!!
Thanks Larry    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic