TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mandatory oil system mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 7:32am
Interesting use of the Mopar windage tray, I actually have one of them in my small block Mopar powered BMW that is a dedicated track day car. Other oiling mods on that one are a high volume oil pump and a baffled truck oil pan that holds a bit more oil, so far so good (touch wood) and had been on the track for quite a few years now.

I don't think you will ever get a consensus answer on the valley oil line mod, my view is that there is only so much oil to go around in a pressurized system with controlled leakage (i.e. bearing clearances), so adding an extra pipe to the same location isn't going to deliver any more oil and possibly introduce addition points where you can have a failure. You will of course get other opinions on the subject.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 2:52pm
Use an Aviaid, or that style, road race pan. This is the most important item you can possibly do- if you do this you can pretty much forget all the other tips and tricks else less proper assy clearances, quality parts... which you must do anyway.

Doing any type of autocross or even light road racing with a stock pan is begging for a spun bearing.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 6:47am
the oil line in the valley is a fix for the starvation of oil to the crank and rods in that area if your not looking into sustained high rpm use its really not necessary 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 8:08am
Is that fix for all 3 engines 290 343 390 , the valley oiler ?
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 8:31am
The only thing I can really see the valley oil line doing, is possibly supplying less aerated oil to the rear of the engine under "spirited driving" or racing conditions.

That is of course, if the oil moving from the beginning to the end of the lifter gallery actually gets aerated as it passes by the lifters, or aerated enough to make a difference. 

The oil line would not stop aerated oil to the rear of the engine, but it would introduce non, or less aerated oil into the mix. Now, the rest of the mains and rods would still see more aerated oil if that is indeed happening. 

There is a large enough hole in the factory oil gallery to support a lot of oil flow around the lifters. That is why I have my doubts concerning the addition of the oil line having any real benefits. As a fix for starvation, I would not think the line would have any real benefits because I do not think starvation is an AMC issue if the oil in the pan does not go below the pickup. 

The oil factory gallery is narrowed substantially when lifter bushings are installed so that is a case where it probably would be warranted. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 10:28am
The oil system in an AMC v8 is pretty adequate when
everything is in top shape.

I agree with eliminating the plastic button in the oil pick up.
welding or riveting in a spacer is preferred.
I have seen a few engines destroyed by that plastic
button dislodging cutting off all oil pressure.

Eliminating the umbrella valve seals is a BIG improvement.
This is another engine killer when they break up and clog the returns.

Opening and or polishing the returns in the heads
seems like a good idea, but be warned, you can
weaken the head bolt boss that is in CLOSE proximity
to the passage.

More oil in the pan using a Milodon or other pans is a good idea.

More oil alone just makes for excessive oil airation.

AMC copied one of the worst oil systems ever in a American V8
The Buick... but with the above minor improvements they will be
as reliable as any.

leave ther internal bypass and external drains to the racers.

Gremlin Dreams
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 10:30am
X2. I plumbed oil pressure gauges on both sides of the galley on an engine without the added line for dyno testing. I could measure no significant difference in oil pressure through 7000 rpm. At least on that engine there was absolutely no need. The only reason I can come up with is to maintain oil supply (not pressure) to the rear of the crank if you have valvetrain failure and pitch a lifter. That's a possible reason, but pretty feeble hope.

I did have a Ford 460 that broke a rocker and pitched a lifter. It probably drove 20 miles at highway speed with no oil pressure (would have had flow) and did not blow up. Sort of amazed at that one.

It may be a different story on a bushed lifter engine.

I think that mod came from a real race application where due to other mods it was a good thing. Not applicable to a stockist engine.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 9:43pm
I believe John is on the right track for the valley line and spirited driving. But the issue would be aerated oil releasing air in the gallery and forming air pockets. These could move, when formed, to the channel of most flow in the engine when formed.
In an AMC V8, from failures experienced, the rear.
As pressure drops flow increases in a hydraulic system. The line therefor would not increase either pressure or flow unless a new leak path is introduced as Ken pointed out.
It must either provide an alternate path for aerated oil to break into smaller air pockets or displace air pockets at the rear of the gallery. Air would then travel up into the lifters and cause little if any short term problems.

Agree, it is not needed for an average street engine.

There are other proven oil aeration solutions at the bottom of the engine that performance people are using.

73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 10:48pm
The only known "madatory" oil system mods, all involve the use of aftermarket timing sets, and needing to mod them just to make them work properly and supply oil to the distributor gears.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:19am
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

The only known "madatory" oil system mods, all involve the use of aftermarket timing sets, and needing to mod them just to make them work properly and supply oil to the distributor gears.
I just bought a Comp Cams (part# 3118) double roller timing chain for my 401 build... do I need to modify something for it to work properly?

"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic