TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mandatory oil system mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

Originally posted by wheelz wheelz wrote:

I have also used this to adjust oil pressure if there is too much after a new build before starting

ADJ OIL PRESSURE REGULATOR
Anyone sell this in a kit form?

T/A performance. Its a Buick part and the bolt is a different size so I transfer the adjuster to an AMC bolt by drilling the same size hole and using an AMC spring
Is there a link to the parts used? Thanks

Here's the link you were asking about

http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1502

looks like they cost about $20

I was wondering, cause T/A Performance sells oil pump gears for Buicks, if the Buick gears are a bit larger than AMC gears, and if so, could the oil pump housing on an AMC timing cover be bored to fit these larger gears, thus making all those used housing with grooves in the oil pump bores, much more re-useable?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

I have also used this to adjust oil pressure if there is too much after a new build before starting

ADJ OIL PRESSURE REGULATOR
Anyone sell this in a kit form?

T/A performance. Its a Buick part and the bolt is a different size so I transfer the adjuster to an AMC bolt by drilling the same size hole and using an AMC spring
Is there a link to the parts used? Thanks

Here's the link you were asking about

looks like they cost about $20

I was wondering, cause T/A Performance sells oil pump gears for Buicks, if the Buick gears are a bit larger than AMC gears, and if so, could the oil pump housing on an AMC timing cover be bored to fit these larger gears, thus making all those used housing with grooves in the oil pump bores, much more re-useable?
The problem would probably be the center to center dimensions for the gears? I would guess that larger diameter gears would dictate farther spacing?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 6:25pm
AMC Oil Pump Gears are already Longer and deliver more Volume than Buick Oil Pump Gears.

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 12:17pm
Yeah, I was kinda excited at first, but of course larger gear diameter means different shaft spacing, should thought of that myself. Too much wishful thinking....
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 1:29pm
Revised long AMC Oil System "info" List on Page 4
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 2:49pm
Regarding filter bypass, and after a fair amount of reading on this forum and others, I've concluded there is no reason to retain the factory bypass in the filter housing.  But now I'm down to two options:

1. Run 100% filtration.  Not sure I'm there yet.  Yes, the housing bypass was eliminated with late engines because it was unreliable.  But did they concurrently switch to a filter with integral bypass?  If so how did the filter's integral bypass pressure compare to the one eliminated from the housing?  Maybe the same.  Lots of modern filter have an integral bypass that opens at single-digit psid.  Hardly any modern filters open at pressures less than 20 psid.  But this is differential pressure, not absolute pressure.  So if your gauge reads 60 psi you may still only have 5 psid across the filter bypass valve (so still closed).

2. Eliminate the housing bypass, use a modern filter with integral bypass.  Which filter should I choose?  What bypass psid is best?  Unless I'm using a high volume pump (I'm not), or starting with a filter that is restrictive when new (I hope not) then I dont think it matters much.  If your filter differential pressure increases significantly then your bearings already lost the battle.  Effectively maintaining oil flow while collecting all of the bearing bronze and lead probably isnt a winning strategy.  The important thing (my opinion) is that you KNOW your bypass hasnt been blocked open by chunk of rogue RTV for the last three oil changes.  Unless your engine is shedding massive bits of itself a little bypassing here and there wont hurt anything.

3. Here's what I think I'll actually do.  Block the bypass in the housing.  For initial break-in, and for a series of rapid succession filter changes (like four in the first day) I'll run filters with NO internal bypass so I provide maximum flow of 100% filtered oil because my engine WILL be shedding bits of break-in debris.  After that I'll switch to a high quality filter with internal bypass.Perhaps I'll compare my measured pressure at the gage for each style of filter so see if it seems like my filter is bypassing at high RPMs. 

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 10:52am
No longer having anything myself to build I'm unsure just what I'd do.
But after reading a Smokey Yunik article in a 1980 Hot Rod Magazine
I'd probably look into a remote oil filter mounting with 2 filters
to reduce oil flow restriction / back pressure through the filter(s).
An I'm unclear on what Filter the "new" late model Mopar Filter Fitting fits...
The "new" double threaded piece that the filter screws to.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 2:23pm
The Mopar adapter fits the Motorcraft FL-1A filter and others as well, anything that matches to the FL-1A.
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 2:46pm
there ya go. Ford filter. Built in bypass. Big capacity. I like the Royal Purple. Good media, thick can. Purple. Can’t help that. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 4:43am
Sure you can... just a little spray paint...

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic