TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 turbo install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 5:27pm
I ran a Clifford 4v intake with a piece of 5/8" copper pipe screwed to the bottom for a little heat in winter. Just used metal straps and self-driving screws with a dab of sealant as they did penetrate the intake floor. Ran heater hose on each end, only heated much when heated valve was opened a bit. Carb motors are always cold natured, but I think it helped reduce warm-up time on really cold days. Still had to give it 5 minutes or so once I  started driving to be very responsive.
Frank Swygert
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 6:16pm
That is not a bad idea with the pipe. If I can find a deal on an intake I made try it. Right now literally 2 pumps no matter temp.. Goes straight to hi idle and can take off down road with in a minute with no issues. If I knew the power gain would be worth it then be nice but right now it drives very smooth and carb is tuned very well for the intake its on.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 8:03pm
I've been talking about this to a friend of mine and he's got an HY35 off of his 2nd gen Cummins that I'm going to run. Just need some more cash to gather everything else. I can get an eBay turbo piping kit, with a small intercooler, for $130. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 5:36am
It's "cold" when you first start it no matter what, unless the electric heater is working. Mine would typically start with a couple pumps and fast idle set, no problem. Just starting to drive is when it needed to be driven a little gingerly for the first five minutes or so, depending on how cold it was. Of course it was a four speed J-10 with 2.73 gears... yes, that high! So I had to slip the clutch a bit when taking off even on a warm day. Also had 100K on it, with about 10-15K of plowing snow (before I got it) in low range. The previous owner bought it used from the Delaware Highway Dept. then put a snow plow on it and used it for plowing 2-3 apartment complex parking lots in Queens, New York, for a good many years.
Frank Swygert
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 11:52am
Awsome . I still try to find out if i want to supercharge, turbo or v8 swap my hornet Big smile
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 6:15am
A junkyard turbo is the cheapest way to go, probably easiest on the Hornet. No special manifolds required -- run pipe under oil pan or trans up to a turbo on the passenger side. Wrap the cross over pipe. you would need to get a blow-thru carb, or modify one, but that's the only special item. A small four cylinder turbo would really boost it on the low end as it would "come in" faster than a large turbo would. 4-5 psi gives a 25-30% power increase and run on pump gas (either mid or high grade though!). Over 5-6 and you may run into detonation issues and need something boost referenced to retard timing some. I've never used one, but there are several available. Or do it on the cheap. In order of costs:

Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 12:26pm
I figure it'll cost a solid $750 to turbo one of these i6 cars. $130 ebay turbo piping, $125 min for a good BOV, plus a remote wastegate, plus a used turbo of $200(?). Then there are all of the incidentals for the exhaust/fuel/ignition systems, IF you're doing your own blow through carb and spending $1000 for one.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 4:44pm
I have about or around a 1000 in my set up... been over 1000 miles with zero issues. I can have 5-6psi at 1800 rpm in 3rd and 4th.It usually runs 5-7psi wide open. This is with ebay t3/t4 turbo that came in a full kit with piping, oil drain, oil feed, bov, wastegate. I have had zero issues with an of the parts. Boost reference stock carter cheap fuel pump, 10 dollar hei module running off oem dist with a cheap hobbs switch to send ground to the 5th pin in hei to pull 5 degree at 2 plus psi.. I run around 12 initial and 30ish all in with vac unhooked. With vac advance hooked up I run kept going to no rattle at slight or part throttle load.  A good wideband is a must as tell yous everything the carb is doing and when its doing stuff right or wrong.. I can literally put my 500 4 barrel to the floor and it just goes and spot on for afr or close to it. Also had an issue with a bad surge. I had to tighten up my plug gap and took care of that as it was blowing the spark out I think. I also added an oil catch can as it started to push oil past the rear main under boost. So I plumbed the oil catch can back into in front of the turbo, New rear main and oil pan gasket with zero leaks now. I also added a msd hei manual timing retard knob. I can pull 15 degree of timing anytime I want by turning knob in glove box. I turned the timing ahead around 5 and set gauge at 5 retard.. I can advance the timing some or pull timing to my liking
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 4:47pm
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 4:53pm
1-3rd pull 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic