TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

258 turbo install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 258 turbo install
    Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 3:59pm
So I decided to turbo my 83 sx/4 258 5 speed car with a t3/t4 .57 trim .63ar. So far it has been working great. It has close to zero lag and builds boost at low rpm with ease. Using a boost referenced mechanical pump, gm hei 5 pin module using the stock dura spark dist(the 5th pin when grounded on hei module kills 10 degrees of timing) is hooked up to a pressure hobbs switch. So far I run 5-7psi with zero issues and makes it pull quite a bit harder. I am using a edelbrock 500 4 barrel that I have modified for blow thru sitting on top of the stock 2 barrel intake. I used the stock down pipe and turned it back under the stater and built the new hot side up and down for the turbo. I have not saw this done much other then one eagle so wanted to give it a shot. 

Edited by racerkilla - Jan/19/2019 at 7:24pm
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 4:02pm
Wow! Looks great man. I would love to see a video of this thing pulling!
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 4:05pm
Sorry about some of the photo orientation I tried to upload videos.. I will have to youtube them and post links.. So far have it running pretty well.. 14.7 cruise, 10.8-12 wot depending on rpm and boost level   Sorry about engine bay being dirty.. Only car I have never pulled engine to detail engine, paint, clean stuff. Never got into a full resto on this sx/4

Edited by racerkilla - Jan/19/2019 at 4:07pm
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 4:17pm
https://youtu.be/d_KABXwb9Rw

All of these videos are 5 psi off wastegate spring. Throttle less then 70 percent(running only the primary blades and not bringing on the secondaries in these videos as was tuning just the primary circuit).. Now I have 4 barrel tuned as well. It will spin 1st and 2nd anytime your in 4 barrel with boost. Pretty fun actually

Edited by racerkilla - Jan/19/2019 at 6:28pm
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 4:39pm
Awesome!!! I've been giving a lot of thought about doing this to my Rambler. Pictures of your turbo mounting? Where did you get the turbo? 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 4:47pm
Turbo was a full kit.. cheap ebay special like 480 not on sale(can get 10-20 percent off when ebay runs the sales).. turbo, wastegate, bov, cold side piping, flanges, couplers, oil feed and return(minus fitting in oil pan) and bunch of odds and ends. Figure if the turbo does go bad like 100 for a new one or buy a name brand t3/t4.. I had to make my own turbo flange as kit did not have one. Turbo just sits mounted on the pipe as shown along with one bracket from the head to turbo to help with some of the weight. I also put another hanger from spare bolt(where tranny bolts on to bell) to the cross over pipe to hold the weight off of the manifold. I have a few hundred miles with no issues on this set up so far
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 5:13pm
Cool. I've got a turbo off of a 2002 Subaru Impreza that I may try. For the fuel pump, you ran a tube from charge side to the atmosphere hole on the fuel pump?
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 6:26pm
Yea I just put a line with boost only(so anywhere from turbo to carb hat) to the vent hole in pump. The pump vent hole is to small for a normal barb fitting(most like 1/8 npt). So I think i wound end using an 8/32 machine screw. I drilled a hole all the way through the bolt and cut the head off so made my own small nipple for carb. I see alot drill a new hole and epoxy off the vent hole. My way has been working perfect.  A subaru turbo may be worth a try. I wanted something with external wastegate. I thought this turbo was going to be to large and take 3-4k to spool it but this thing spools instant. The wastegate is maxed to keep it 5psi. It will boost creep some in the higher gears.

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2019 at 6:48pm
How did you modify the carb?  From what I have read it needs Thermoquad floats, high flow needles/seats, marine accel pump and eliminate the choke flat and shaft.  Throttle shafts don't always need to be air sealed??
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2019 at 7:10pm
I did the marine pump, thermoquad floats.. Left the stock needle and seat(if i were building a higher hp v8 I think I would of did the high flow stuff).. The throttle shafts I left alone with no issues and actually left the electric choke on it and still works perfect. I don't let it get boost until I see a certain temp on the needle so I know choke is open.  I kept stock front jets and tried many different metering rods but wound up on .67x.49 I think with a sliver (8hg) set up spring. The rear jets are drilled out to 9/64 drill bit(if I remember right.. its like twice the size hole then oem) and .030 wire down the air bleeds in the secondary to keep it going lean on a long run.. Carb works good. 14.7-15.1 light cruise, 11-12ish wot and 14.5 idle all day long. Hardest part was getting tip in right. Any other spring then the sliver 8hg would keep the metering rod down in the jet to long so didn't want to pull up to go to rich mode until under 4/5 on vacuum and be to late as it goes to boost instant after that. I tired the pink spring which is 7hg but seemed longer so didnt give me what I wanted either.. The 8hg spring will stay in lean mode to about 6 on gauge lugging it in 4th and 5th gear before going rich is what I wanted.. In the first few gears will go rich soon as rpm start building and boost comes in. I would have to video wideband to show how well it works. Its seamless but took me a bunch of hours to get it. I actually unhooked the secondaries to tune the primary circuit and get that where could do full boost with just the front of the carb to tune it(would lean out a bit at wot, 5 psi high rpm in 3rd and 4th but thats a given as only using the 2 barrel part).. Then I hooked secondary up and started to tune on that..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic