TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Only original once

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only original once
    Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 4:23am
I have a 70 Hornet that is about 95% original. It has a 6 inch tear in the drivers seat area. I have NOS fabric to repair the seat but than it is not "original" - should I repair it or leave as is for now? We will be bringing the car to St. Louis and I am not sure how it will be judged in the show. Thank you, Dean
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 4:40am
Repair it.
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 6:31am
put a dummy on it to hide it
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 7:23am
repair it x2

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Craven View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 7:24am
Dean, that was once my car and I’m who sourced the fabric. I didn’t repair the seat only becuse I just didn’t get to it. Being the original fabric I would urge you to find a qualified upholsterer and make the seat as nice as the rest of the car. Enjoy!...it’s a fabulous little Hornet, isn’t it?

Hal
Hal Souers
Indiana
AMO Classified Editor

<font color=RED>In search of red Matador Barcelona sedan in EXCELLENT condition! [/COLOR]
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 7:35am
if the car was 3 years and you had the dealer replace the trim with factory seat cover its still original thus you have factory fabric its still
original I would repair it and if it a big different in appearance put a display book of the many brochures you can get for that car or something to hide it  
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 8:28am
OK - it is a fantastic, neat, clean little car - drives like new - amazing! My wife questioned me buying it until we got it and she loves the little red Hornet. Thanks all, Dean
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 8:56am
if you are selling it (since you sell so many AMC's) I would leave it and just include the fabric, let the new owner decide.

If it's your personal car I'd repair it for the same reasons everyone else noted. 

And you are right, they are only original once and nothing is better than an original car, in this case you aren't deviating from the original factory design or appearance any either.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 9:06am
Fix it.You will get more money for the car.
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 11:30am
Dean, I think the question is what do you want to do with the Hornet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic