TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 Carb Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 8:54am
What I meant is that the way you were driving wasn't putting the maximum side stress on the carb float,  and that's what causes most hesitation in hard turns. 
 The float jambs on it's pivots in the float chamber,  starving the engine for gas.

Drive a little less dramatic,  and you might experience a little carb hesitation.

I used to teach Racing 101 at the local race track for young racers.   Many of them learned less drama on turn entry resulted in quicker lap times.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jan/23/2019 at 8:58am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 1:26pm
You don't think the ONE example of how I have cornered my car is the best way to produce lateral g-forces.

Fine.

Because that's not the only method I have used, and it still has never hessitated.

So....take my word that I have cornered my car pretty darn hard and that it has done fine. Stop criticizing me for how I drive and stop criticizing my car. It is insulting and condescending. I do not appriciate it.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 5:07pm
Wow,  so sensitive.
 I never criticized your car,  I criticized your driving.
It was the method you mentioned, that according to you, had to stress the carb so much.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
RamblinMan63 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 1:30pm
Hey guys, I bought a remanufactured carter yf for my 65 rambler 232. Looks like I will have to go with a cable instead of the original linkage.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan63 RamblinMan63 wrote:

Hey guys, I bought a remanufactured carter yf for my 65 rambler 232. Looks like I will have to go with a cable instead of the original linkage.
The cable is also safer, and it works well.  (Make sure your tank is CLEAN)....you will most likely have to do some fabrication ....
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 3:21pm
I imagined Id have to do some fab work. Ill be scoping over the car to see what Ill he working with.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan63 RamblinMan63 wrote:

I imagined Id have to do some fab work. Ill be scoping over the car to see what Ill he working with.
yep. It will be fun to drive when you get it straight 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 2:45pm
I hooked up the vacuum advance to the carb spacer and not the carb itself. I got her fired up and introduced a fair amount of fuel into the insides of the engine. Going to do an oil change right about now. I realize the vacuum advance hooks up to the nipple towards the bottom of the carb. 

Whats supposed to screw into the carb spacer? Not having anything covering it is like having a wicked vacuum leak and the idle sky rockets until you cover up that hole.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 3:07pm
The nipple on the spacer is usually used for a PCV valve connection.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 5:31pm
Thank you. Other then that mis hap the refurbd carter yf is successful so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic