TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 Carb Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 2:37am
The WCD functionally works similar to the YF, just multiply everything by two.

I had a 232 with a WCD for a short while. It ran really well at high speeds but was twitchy at low speeds. It would launch harder off the line than I wanted for normal driving unless I was very gentle on the throttle. What I mean is the slightest opening of the throttle off idle would cause a great change in engine power output. I find throttle response like that fatiguing. It's harder to precisely control the engine. The tune also had to be just right or it would hesitate or try to stall off the line. The larger a carburetor is for a given engine, the more prone it will be to stall and hesitate off idle.

My YF was also far too lean in stock jetting. I have an assortment of jets and rods for it but I found that increasing the main jet size from .101" to .105" using the stock metering rod works well in most all conditions and altitudes.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 11:08pm
the WCD i had ran just great, was easy to get right and never had a bit of trouble. i ditched it because it starves out in turns. nothing you'd get in normal driving. "not a performance carb" would be my assessment, but a reliable carb.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 7:09am
As Tom says, the WCD works fine for most driving. A little aggressive is ok, but get into rally racing like he's been doing and you find the starvation point. I've hit it when I was running one, but not very often (and I had my little 63 American set up to handle very well!).

Actually, unless you just want to stay old school, I'd go with a Weber 32/36. 32mm primary, only tips into the 36mm secondary when/if you need it. It's a great economy carb for a six and will probably deliver a little more power than the WCD once set up correctly. Webers are VERY tuneable, you do need the tuning kit. TomJ  can offer some advice. At the worst it's a brand new carb that will have at least as much power as the WCD, and should deliver a little better economy when on the primary only.
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 12:30pm
Any carburator will be fine as long as its in good condition. And right there is the big problem. I worked on a 232, and it had the Rochester monojet on it. I know it fit, and its close to the YF....   MY 1974 258 has a YF, And I got lucky, I got a NOS YF for a 1979 232, everything was the same except for one vaccum fitting which I plugged. It runs very well .... I still have the correct 1974 YF...But it needs rebuilding.
RamblinMan63 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 2:39pm
Lots of great feed back. Thank you guys.

We have lots of carbs here, Ill look through the pile first before looking online. That being said Il be looking at a carter rbs, yf, wcd or a webber 32/36 as mentioned by frank to put on. Better mpg is preferred to power as the car will be a daily. 

Edit: im almost positive we have a carter yf here. Theres also a weber 2 barrel of a '86 toyota 22r on craigslist for $100 bucks locally.  It looks to be a 32/36.

Edited by RamblinMan63 - Jan/19/2019 at 2:53pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 2:31pm
My Hornet may be a base exterior 4-door sedan with the base 232, but it was ordered with the radial tire package that included wider rims and the V8 front sway bar. It corners pretty darn good until the front end plows.

I've hammed that car through corners with the front end totally washed out many times, steering with the throttle more than the wheel. Never starved for fuel or choked with the YF carbruetor.

Never starved for fuel up hill or down. I have to REALLY slam on the brakes to make it stall in a stop.

It has the fuel return line on the fuel filter and has only tried to vapor lock a couple times, and only when it was floored in temperatures over 100 degrees with the A/C on. Really extreme conditions. It's never had any hot weather drivability problems. Never hessitates. It's the closest I've ever felt a carbruetor be to EFI. Really runs good.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 6:38pm
Hammering the car through the turns may feel and look dramatic,   but you get more side force  ( G's) when your front or rear end isn't washed out.

Driving dirt track style on hardtop isn't the fastest way through a turn,   nor does it develop the most side force.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

Hammering the car through the turns may feel and look dramatic,   but you get more side force  ( G's) when your front or rear end isn't washed out.

Driving dirt track style on hardtop isn't the fastest way through a turn,   nor does it develop the most side force.
I understand.  And street driving with a stock type car wont even hit the limits.   Now when racing, and Im not going to get into specifics, Pretty much Racing will show the weak links in the car very quickly. 
RamblinMan63 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 8:27pm
I do inddeed have a froze up carter yf for 70s amc/jeep/ford. 

The accelerator is frozen up at the base of the carb. I guess Ill let it sit in an oil bath then tap at it with a hammee, maybe break it free.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 3:43am
I never said the YF was a race carburetor, that my Hornet was a race car that corners like a Lotus, or that I am a race car driver capable of extracting every last decimal point of lateral g-force from a car.

I said my YF has powered my 232 through some very demanding driving situations for a stock vehicle that has some suspension options on normal everyday roads. I have pushed that Hornet far harder than it was ever meant to be pushed and the YF has delivered fuel perfectly well through it all.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic