TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 on the dyno

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 8:31am
That little cam is not an 8K cam by any means. I expected the power band to be where it is. 

In the car 6K is no problem but 8K is way out of its power band. This engine can rev will past 6K but why, it will not be making any power there so it does not make sense.

I chose the separation angles based on the small cubes. I wanted to help it on the low end and meet the customers needs which is a very user friendly street engine for his wife in the Hornet wagon. 

This engine meets those needs very well
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 9:17am
did you test a bigger carb just out of curiosity? with the small engine and low rpm it probably didn't use all of the 600 but i'm just curious. and i'm also curious about the headers i would think a set of 1 5/8s would've provided a better torque curve and maybe more power. i know we went from a set of 1 5/8s hedmans to 1 7/8s supercomps many years ago. on 390 with the big summit cam lol and a torquer and it actually lost a little in the 1/4 mile. we dont have easy dyno access here in oklahoma. 
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 10:32am
I did not test any other carbs. Looking at the vacuum through the pull the engine likes the carb size. 

.5-1" of vacuum through the pull is a good carb size

I was told by David Vizard that 1 5/8 headers would probably pick up the torque by 20-25 and a touch on HP

I do not have a set of 1 5/8 headers ready for O2 sensors so I went with the 1 7/8 again

rbjracing.com
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 11:35am
A dream project is a 4" stroke crank in a 3.875 bore 304.

Very NICE build.
Gremlin Dreams
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 12:09pm
Dang I woulda sent you some small tube Jeep headers. Nice job. I knew it would be there, power wise. 

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 12:50pm
Going to have to mini tub that grocery getter!

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 3:17pm
This has me wondering if I should rebuild my iron 304 or go looking for an aluminum 401 block and destroke that like I've been curious about for years. The 304 is a torque monster and while I don't have any numbers to reflect that, it's spooky on the street. Your 304's numbers reflect those power jumps fairly close and I don't know how I feel about that.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 4:48pm
Nice build, would be interesting to see what it would do with a bigger cam to support more RPM and how much HP it could make up there. Bucket loads or torque is perfect for the street though.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 6:51pm
Thanks,
With a larger cam and 1 5/8 headers, I would be surprised if it didn't make 400 or more torque and HP. 

A cam and valve spring change could turn this engine into a 7K or more rpm engine no problem. There is plenty of piston to valve clearance where a pretty aggressive cam can be used and the engine has the parts and mods to that rpm without issues

More compression with a bigger cam would be better though

rbjracing.com
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

Thanks,
With a larger cam and 1 5/8 headers, I would be surprised if it didn't make 400 or more torque and HP. 

A cam and valve spring change could turn this engine into a 7K or more rpm engine no problem. There is plenty of piston to valve clearance where a pretty aggressive cam can be used and the engine has the parts and mods to that rpm without issues

More compression with a bigger cam would be better though

I can dig that.

So... When are you going to build a 232/258?? Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic