TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 on the dyno

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2019 at 3:59pm
Traco 1968 AMC 305 was an overbored 290, and the 1969 was a de-stroked 360,
I think, or it was 1969 and 1970, point being there were 2 versions of AMC 305's
because of yearly changes to the Trans Am Rules.
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2019 at 6:57pm
Something like that.  I thought I read Donahue's '71 big body T/A car was powered by a heavily modded 360 that got the cubes down to the new rules.  Still thats a lot of hurspurs out of the 304.  I wonder what the Ford guys did to upwards of 500-600 HP out of their Boss 302 blocks vs. how far you could squeeze the 304.
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2019 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

I wonder what the Ford guys did to upwards of 500-600 HP out of their Boss 302 blocks
The 69 Boss 302 heads had 2.25" intake valves and the 70 heads had 2.19" intake valves. Those Boss 302 engines ran really well above 7500 RPMS. They could have easily made another 100 HP if they hadn't had sewer pipes for runners. 

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

After seeing these numbers, can we all stop telling newbies with a 304 to use it for a boat anchor and get a 360 instead?

Some of us love seeing what can be done with small cubic inch naturally aspirated engines.

After re-reading this topic (it is worth going over again) as much as I love the results and the proof that the 304 is not a boat anchor... the difference between the 304/360 and other small blocks like the Ford 302/351, is that the bore is so small that the better flowing large valve heads will not fit like on the Ford. But other makes have the same concern like the Chevy 305 and Chrysler 318 are considered worrhless for serious power because of the small bores and restricted head choice... all of these engines are good and capable of making decent street power, it's  just when you try to make anything over 1-hp per cube that it gets pricier then building an equivalent 360/351/350. So for a performance build I would go with the extra cubes as a no brainer choice, same or less money and more power is a winning combination. The point is this AMC 304 wasn't a budget build. You can probably get the same power out of a 360 for quite a bit less. Under 300hp keep the 304, over that and get a 360 if you don't want to spend a small fortune. Imho.

Edited by JolleyGreenSST - Sep/05/2019 at 10:02pm
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 10:30pm
Have to agree with JollyGreenSST...  the small bores are a limiting factor,
but for a "driver" and if a 304 complete core engine can be had for say $50-$100, hey, it'd be fun.
On the Camaro Research Group Forum in the Trans Am Camaros area, in the Traco Fans thread,
there are post by a period Traco employee, "PigPen", where he states Traco AMC 305's broke 500 HP.
Not that it means anything or is practical or applicable, just a piece of interesting history for reference.
Jims69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jims69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 7:31pm
That’s a great combo. Nice work
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by JolleyGreenSST JolleyGreenSST wrote:

Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

After seeing these numbers, can we all stop telling newbies with a 304 to use it for a boat anchor and get a 360 instead?

Some of us love seeing what can be done with small cubic inch naturally aspirated engines.

After re-reading this topic (it is worth going over again) as much as I love the results and the proof that the 304 is not a boat anchor... the difference between the 304/360 and other small blocks like the Ford 302/351, is that the bore is so small that the better flowing large valve heads will not fit like on the Ford. But other makes have the same concern like the Chevy 305 and Chrysler 318 are considered worrhless for serious power because of the small bores and restricted head choice... all of these engines are good and capable of making decent street power, it's  just when you try to make anything over 1-hp per cube that it gets pricier then building an equivalent 360/351/350. So for a performance build I would go with the extra cubes as a no brainer choice, same or less money and more power is a winning combination. The point is this AMC 304 wasn't a budget build. You can probably get the same power out of a 360 for quite a bit less. Under 300hp keep the 304, over that and get a 360 if you don't want to spend a small fortune. Imho.

Oh.

So it's all about the bore.

So you're saying it's not a boat anchor, but really it is in your eyes.

Gotcha.

Edited by Buzzman72 - Sep/07/2019 at 7:44pm
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 7:55pm
To each his own regarding our great AMC engines.  I think it is super cool what he did with HIS 304.  Bad@$$.  I hopped up my 360 in my 69 Rambler and I used old log style exhaust manifolds as I did not want to fool with headers given engine bay space limitations and other fiddling.  I love the way it runs and really don't care if others have a different opinion about it.

Rock on with that 304, John! 😎

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Sep/07/2019 at 7:57pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 9:45pm
Considering the most expensive parts were the custom pistons (compared to off the shelf Wisecos for 360ci) everything else that was done to this 304 is what gets done to a "serious" 360. You're just not going to get the horsepower because it's a smaller air pump with smaller valves. When you get down to brass tacks, that's about it.

Yes, you could make the same power for less with a 360 (stock enternals), but, if a 360 isn't available to you (like here in East Texas) a 304 has now been proven to be a viable option. After all, most seem to want a snappy, driveable, 400hp; that seems to be the most common 360 question asked, and this particular 304 is darn close to meeting the needs of many out there. Heck, put those pistons and rods in one, with a wider lsa cam, on heads with less work then this 304, and throw some spray at it. That's my take on my it, anyway.

Oh, and before someone comments on my not finding of a 360 in E. Tex, I've only searched Craigslist and have found very little AMCs in the area. I'm sure they are out there. I just don't know where to look.
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 9:56pm
I personally don't care if an amc car has a 400hp 304 or a stock 401. Our devotion to the brand is what matters to me. So as long its its amc when the hood pops up I'm in!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic