TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rollmaster timing chain...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 1:34pm
No expert, but...
the size, number, and location of those 4 oil slinging grooves you may or may not want to "adjust"...
Have ya seen the youtube video with the cutaway timing cover
showing just how much oil hemorrhages out of those grooves ?
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 3:07pm
Yes I have..but what concernsc me is where that one groove is on the cam slot.. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Yes mine was the same way, cut right on the Distributor feed at the 6 oclock position. As You can see, I brazed up all 4 slinger grooves but also note the small brass spots at the 5 oclock and 7 oclock position to block any bleed off from the Distributor oil supply passage.

In the second picture is the block side of the gear oil feed supply notch didn't line up with the Oil supply feed hole in my aftermarket Cam.

I did this while building the engine so I had the camshaft out. I installed the Gear, fuel pump eccentric, distributor gear and bolt with washer on the Cam.   While holding the Cam I sprayed Brake cleaning fluid in the Oil feed hole in #1 Cam Journal to confirm the fluid was flowing all the way to the Distributor gear without much loss.
Jerry
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 1:04am
I gonna send it back to them.
I shouldn't have to modify a brand new timing chain and gear set to work properly. That's stinks and is B.S.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 5:19am
Nothing to worry about, run it. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 6:32am
This sort of stuff is par for the course, I had similar problems with a Milodon set, which I believe is made by SA Gear. Sadly it seems that this is just something you have to deal with in this day an age.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 10:05am
I've been waiting since late October for a Neutral Balance Dampener.  It was even sitting on the shelf, according to my supplier.  I paid for it and have been waiting since.  Time to call them directly.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2019 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by amx600rr amx600rr wrote:

Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Yes mine was the same way, cut right on the Distributor feed at the 6 oclock position. As You can see, I brazed up all 4 slinger grooves but also note the small brass spots at the 5 oclock and 7 oclock position to block any bleed off from the Distributor oil supply passage.

In the second picture is the block side of the gear oil feed supply notch didn't line up with the Oil supply feed hole in my aftermarket Cam.

I did this while building the engine so I had the camshaft out. I installed the Gear, fuel pump eccentric, distributor gear and bolt with washer on the Cam.   While holding the Cam I sprayed Brake cleaning fluid in the Oil feed hole in #1 Cam Journal to confirm the fluid was flowing all the way to the Distributor gear without much loss.
Jerry
The second picture, the gear has a 360 degree recess for the oil, the grinding you did was unnecessary.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic