TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel hose no longer boring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 11:42am
Does anyone know if Gates 5/16ths hose spec. 4219XL PCV/EEC (SAE 30R7) uses the same rubber specification as the Dayco hose above?   The Gates hose is available at my local O'Reilly's and was used on a couple of cars by club members last summer.   The hose is rated for 50 psi but specifically states that it is not for fuel injection cars.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the information Tomj,
I just looked at the underhood fuel hoses that I replaced on my Concord last summer, and they are all spongy and swollen. Ordered a couple rolls of 1/4 and 5/16 barricade line, as I've got 3 cars that are all in the same situation as the Concord. I dropped the tank on the Concord and replaced those last summer too - looks like I'm gonna be dropping the tank again - but at least now I know I'll be doing it with the right stuff.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 3:17pm
The Dayco listed is the same as the Gates SAE 30R7.

Nylon tubing is rated as excellent resistance to Ethanol.
The higher the concentration of Ethanol, the poorer most any polymer hose is going to be.

Even the Gates SAE 30R9 specification states:
  • Tube resists heat, sour gas and fuel (leaded, unleaded and alcohol based petrol, diesel, biodiesel)
Resistant, not impervious.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 8:46pm
joe, if you have hose now in-service, and a week/month? later it's not noticably soft, it's probably OK.

30R7 rating is gasoline-only as far as i can tell; not alcohol resistant. i found this page http://www.underhoodservice.com/correct-fuel-hose-installation/ that has a bit of explanation.

i think that, loosely, the common 30R7 hose is "old car" hose, and "fuel injection" is modern hose. i'm using "fuel injection" hose that has one of the low-permeability hoses. i don't know how stores ethically sell, in 2019, hose that almost immediately fails in service. it is very easy to see how this stuff could leak past under-tightened hose clamps. the short section i had from my new Tanks Inc tank to the fuel filter/pump produced about a tablespoon of an oily residue on the top of the tank. 

i need so little hose that i just bought the "fuel injection" hose from Pep Boys. nearly $5/foot! i think my 4 psi pump will be safe with 80 psi hose.

it's dismaying to have to exert so much effort over hose. it's easy to fix -- get good hose -- but i'm kinda pissed off we're offered fuel hose that literally is unsafe in the state it's sold in.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 5:55am
On this topic, that gray "marine grade" glossy hose it also total crap.  It has a clear membrane liner that turns to crunchy amber shards, after it delaminates and starves your engine.  Happened every time I tried new lines on my outboard.  Now I use automotive hose and replace every season. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 11:17pm
well that sounds like just a lot of fun. O_o

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic