TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel hose no longer boring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burnished Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 8:30pm
Be careful when you purchase any hose for gasoline use.  It could be possible that it was manufactured using the older rubber compounds.  NOS is probably NOT good.

I can not comment on what the AMC vendors are selling today.  I just don't know.
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 11:09pm
i bought the host from Summitracing.com in nov 2018. i overlooked, at that time, that Summit clearly marked it as "not suitable for alcohol...", that the markigns on the hose whatever they are, when i looked them up, pertained to pressure and other ratings, and not for permeability.

i'm quite happy with California CARB regulations on permeability. i know everone loves to hate CA, but i personally remembe being made ill by Los Angeles smog in the 1970's, just getting off a plane. its not like that any more. whatever this costs, it's fine. YMMV.

though i did just get burned by a Prop 65 ("carcinogen") regulatory problem -- it's quite hilarious, slightly OT here -- RockAuto has 12" windshield wipers for my car, but i cannot purchase them, as rockauto doesn't have Prop65 data on them (likely made 1,000,000 years ago so of course not).

i find it hard to believe that the Dayco hose was a "bad batch", especially enhanced by the explicit 'no alcohol' statement.

yeah, i don't need "FI" hose at all. but FI hose applications seem to encompass the other features (fuel resistance, permeability) that i wanted.

also, i only needed two feet of it!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2019 at 8:11am
I have had problems with gas hose cracks.Cracks at the carb from the inside out or turns hard.Takes about a year.I put extra length on and cut the end off to expose soft hose.When the hose gets short I put another new one on.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 2:00am
When I first got my Eagle in 2010 I replaced all the rubber fuel hoses on the car. For the non return hoses  I used dayco that came in a pre cut piece rolled up and shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard. Thats all they sell for fuel hose at that parts place and it was a weekend.
It was all junk and every piece I put on failed in less than a year with e10 gas. Since then I only use good year branded made in USA new stock fuel hose cut from a roll. Not an issue yet.

Edited by maximus7001 - Feb/05/2019 at 2:05am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 8:58pm
OK it's "winter" here, car's been apart doing upgrades for the coming season of (mountain, desert, tour) driving, and i found more bad hose (tank to rear fuel pump, and tank vent). finally got around to swapping it out for good hose, and took some demonstrative pics of the crap hose.

this is serious business -- i'm not making up some fuss-budget thing to worry about. the new, recently purchased hose from Summit Racing and commonly available everywhere is NOT SUITABLE FOR MODERN GASOLINE. it swells and LEAKS.

** this past fall i installed a new fuel tank ("fuel cell" from Tanks Inc) and new hose in back and up front. hose came from Summit (the 25 ft roll i bought). in Dec 2018 the hose was noticeably swollen, and very soft, as mentioned above.

** a couple weeks ago i pulled the inspection covers for the tank fuel pickup and found weird yellow oily stuff on the top of the tank, and the hose swollen there, of course. the oily stuff LEACHED THROUGH THE HOSE, it's probably hose rubber components solvented out, deposited on the tank steel. i neglected to take pics, i wasn't fully clued in to what was going on, i figured it was something that splashed up from driving.

i replaced those hoses with "fuel injection" hose. of course i don't need the PSI rating of "fuel injection" hose. it just happens to also be resistant to alcohol!

see pics below. note that this hose came off a tank of a car that hasn't been driven for 6 weeks. the gas had mostly drained back but it was at least filled with fumes.

to illustrate how swollen it is, i used this short length of 5/16" steel tube. there's a black mark about 3/16" in. i pushed each sample hose (good and bad) to that mark.

here's a piece of that 5/16" fuel hose that has never seen service. NEW hose. pushed onto the tube up to the mark and the tube held horizontal, the hose is tight on the tube.

the same test, hose that has been in service for about 3 months. it's so swollen and loose that it is about to fall off.

this is the unused hose, squeezed between thumb and finger moderately hard.

this is the used hose, squeezed the same amount (as much as subjectively possible). this stuff is soft and mushy!! it's not ambiguous at all.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 12:59pm
Thanks Tom.   I'll mention your findings in an upcoming issue of our local Rambler Club newsletter.  Good to know.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
wheelz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 5:45pm
aeroquip sstartlite nomex braided hose is all I use. With or without fittings
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:23pm
you're welcome joe. i hopeit's useful. for the record this is the soft hose:

It's Dayco 80060, 5/16" fuel hose. i could have known better if i'd read the fine print on the item page: "Not intended for fuel injected vehicles. Not suitable for gasoline/oil mixed fuels, alcohol blended fuels, or bio-diesel fuel."

All CA fuel, at least, has alcohol and additives. those are hardly rare outside of CA (i just don't know).

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:35pm
It does not help who do not know that the Q&A on that summit page says it can work with alcohol when it clearly cannot. I almost lost my Eagle to fire because of this within 1 year of putting the hose on.

Edited by maximus7001 - Feb/18/2019 at 9:37pm
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

It does not help who do not know that the Q&A on that summit page says it can work with alcohol when it clearly cannot. I almost lost my Eagle to fire because of this within 1 year of putting the hose on.

YES! i just now, AGAIN, for the SECOND TIME, rebutted those assertions, and backed it up with specs from the freakin' manufacturer. it's not like some preference thing, the hose actually leaks fuel out the black rubber!

i'm so sorry you had a fire from this. i've written Summit and pointed out that even though the disclaimer is there, it's all too easy to mis-use this hose, at best. and very likely, there is NOWHERE IN THE US that you can be guarenteed that fuel won't have alcohol etc in it.

i assume that this is another one of these "old car" parts issues -- i dont know how you'd find out, but carbureted cars are probably under 1% of the national fleet of cars on the road. no one's gonna reformulate carb fuel hose since it's a shrinking market.

i don't think Summit or anyone should even sell this stuff in 2019.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic