TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC V8 'Police' oil pan variant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC V8 'Police' oil pan variant
    Posted: Dec/31/2018 at 9:34pm
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2018 at 11:35pm
Wow that's interesting. It looks as if it holds enough oil near the pickup to avoid running dry from a quick sloshing like a hard corner.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
1970Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 12:17am
Thanks for the pics!

This has got me thinking about building a better oil pan using something like this with trap doors for keeping oil in there.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 5:43am
What's really interesting and why I call it a variant, is that it has a side drain plug like Jeep oil pans. 

I bought this from a forum member many years ago - I finally got around to cleaning it up, so I thought I'd take some pics before installing it on my engine. 

1970Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 6:17am
How tall are the walls?

Using that pan, I can see why the spec was 6qt so there is always enough oil to get over the walls.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 6:40am
The pan may be a bit better for cornering, but for drag racing its worthless.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 9:02am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

What's really interesting and why I call it a variant, is that it has a side drain plug like Jeep oil pans.

That is interesting.  All the ones I've seen have the center oil drain plug.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 1970Javelin 1970Javelin wrote:

How tall are the walls?

Using that pan, I can see why the spec was 6qt so there is always enough oil to get over the walls.

The 'walls' of the baffle are approx. 3" in height, HOWEVER, the oil doesn't need to get over them - the baffle 'leaks' through to the drain plug. I tried it by filling the pan with water and then removing the drain plug, just to confirm that any oil in the baffle would drain out.  

There are 5 factory spot welds placed in an arc around the oval cutout of the baffle attaching it to the oil pan - the 'T' shaped cutout has a 'bump' in it creating a channel between the baffle and the pan to allow it to both drain and fill up. 

It's hard to see in the photos but it's located at the bottom RH corner of the 'T' cutout of the second photo. 

Edited by sweatlock - Jan/01/2019 at 10:32am
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

The pan may be a bit better for cornering, but for drag racing its worthless.

Agreed. It was supposedly intended for cop cars - and maybe Jeeps? Lol 

Although as delicate as it is being dependent on the contour of the pan and without a skid plate, I doubt it. 

Edited by sweatlock - Jan/01/2019 at 10:33am
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 10:56am
All stock AMC pans are really 6 Qt.  The original design calls for 6 but that was one more than the other big 3 makers cars took for an oil change.  The marketing hit that AMC would have taken for the increased maintenance cost as compared to the others was deemed unacceptable.  The engines were tested at 5 qts and in most situations, they found it didn't hurt to run a qt. down.  AMC could not be found to be more costly to maintain, so all literature said 5 Qts.  In high speed driving, this lead to oil starvation.  Fill a stock pan with 6 Qts and see.  It is still below the baffle.  Now take away at least 2 Qts for the top end and galleys and see how much is left.  Always run 6 Qts in all AMC V8 G-ll/lll engines.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic