TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 360 rpm to 7k

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 8:27am
the goal is to build an engine that splits the difference between midrange and high end power. I plan on a holley 750, air gap intake and hooker headers with a cam based on what I need after this refresh/rebuild. Don’t want 7k as a regular number but plan on drag/autox and am pretty fresh to the 4 wheel world and fully expect to miss shifts/overrev as I’m in competition as a green horn. The air gap says its max suggested rpm is 6,500. That’s the max I am aiming for but like I said I want to overbuild a little to keep my green horn from costing me more green.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Amc wannabe Amc wannabe wrote:

the goal is to build an engine that splits the difference between midrange and high end power. I plan on a holley 750, air gap intake and hooker headers with a cam based on what I need after this refresh/rebuild. Don’t want 7k as a regular number but plan on drag/autox and am pretty fresh to the 4 wheel world and fully expect to miss shifts/overrev as I’m in competition as a green horn. The air gap says its max suggested rpm is 6,500. That’s the max I am aiming for but like I said I want to overbuild a little to keep my green horn from costing me more green.
If your plan is to make power in the range you have suggested in this and previous post you will want to use a Edelbrock Torker rather than a Performer RPM Air Gap. Also since you have mentioned it in several of your post about over revving the engine I would suggest that you use an MSD ignition box and install a high side chip in an appropriate rpm limit.

Tom
Amc wannabe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 10:48am
so do you think I should lower my expectations down to 6k in order to get the best use out of the air gap? It’s advertised to 6,500 and I’m looking to split the difference between race and street performance so I don’t want to overdo it and force myself into a race only setup(which I assume the torker is most likely on a 360 since it’s minimum suggested rpm I think was 3 or 4K) that won’t be as fun to daily. Really green on building so the only thing I have to go on are the advertisers suggested rpm ranges and advise. Be gentle haha
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 11:04am
Don't get stuck on that RPM number. Most street cams dont make power that high & all you would be doing is testing parts. You can build a stout bottom end with the K1 rods, Wiseco pistons & a stock crank (balanced) that will withstand the rpm your looking for. You can freshen up your heads & run the air gap till you get used to things & then do an upgrade. Just thoughts...
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
Amc wannabe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amc wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 5:30am
Steve, what are your thoughts on the limitations of a original rotating assembly? I just got my heads off and haven’t measured the cylinders just yet but it looks pretty fresh by eyeball standards. Is it de facto chango on these things if your looking for hp in the 400s? Or will it survive a while? Has me thinking of possibly just milling the heads etc to up compression and throw it back together if measurements check out. Any thoughts?
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 9:23am
You can build a reliable powerful 360 with stock components & a little love. 

If the crank is clean & within tolerance  you can just polish & reuse. The stock pistons should be fine cleaned up with new moly rings. I would resize the rods & install new rod bolts. Stock bolts are a weak spot. King engine bearings & dura bond cam bearings have shown the best performance  & reasonably priced. We have used the big summit cam for amc with really good results. We u se the Comp Cams Magnum lifters. They hold up over 6500 rpm. Milling the heads for compression isn't a bad idea. Cleaning up the sharp edges in the combustion chamber helps prevent detonation on cheap gas. You should put new springs locks & retainers. Do not cheap out on the valve locks. Make sure you get machined not stamped. There is only like a $15 difference.  Hardened pushrods. 

Always remember a good motor is a good combination. A fast car is a good combination.  

I'm sure I'm missing stuff but this should get you thinking. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 12:07pm
You should read up on John's 360 build here on the forum or even possibly buy one from him.

This is a tried and true, guaranteed combination that I think would work well for you.

Tom
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 7:00pm
There is only so much you can mill off the heads before you get into the valve seats, the easiest way to build compression in the 360 is to slap some flat top pistons in it, cast if you are game or step up to forged if you want to have a little more piece of mind. That will boost compression from factory 8.5:1 up to around 10.5:1 depending on head choice.

I'd second installing some form of rev limiter, that will give you some protection from the odd missed shift or red mist induced brain fade.

My suggestion is to run the Torker with throttle body injection, either Holley Sniper or Fitech, it takes a lot of guess work out of the tuning side of things. You can also use these systems to run the ignition and in that application, they will have built in rev limiting capabilities.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 7:36pm
You will kill it.......Amc won't sustain 7k
they call me Capt RETIRED!
amx390ssc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx390ssc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2018 at 7:49am
listen to Steve!!! 7k is not a problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic