TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pressure plate and other questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pressure plate and other questions
    Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 5:47pm
I have removed my T-10 for a rebuild.  I noticed that the pressure plate has some wear on the fingers, it is a diaphragm style pp.  Sometimes, and only sometimes, when I would depress the clutch it would make a metal on metal sound and I am assuming this is where it was coming from. The throw out bearing does not have any gouges on it. Did I have my clutch rod adjusted so that is was pushing the throw out bearing too far into the pp?  Photos below.

I took the the trans off of the bell housing to remove it.  When reinstalling could I use studs in the bell housing instead of bolts?  Or is it easier to put the bell on the trans and put it in as on unit?

The motor is tilted back as it sits in the car right now.  Should I reattach the exhaust at the manifolds?  Or will this put too much stress on the exhaust studs?  Thanks in advance.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 6:04pm
Just a thought, check the back side (engine side) of the pressure plate fingers to see if they have been contacting the hub or hub rivets.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 6:06pm
What is the history of the throw out bearing? Could it have at one time been changed out to an incorrect type? Sometimes they are flat and sometimes they are convex. I don't know what yours should be. 

I thought at first that the rust on the fingers might have come from a bad bearing but it seems to be elsewhere too so maybe just from the environment it is in.
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 5:46am
The to bearing, clutch and pp we installed brand new. The kit came from Phoenix Friction. I noticed that the little nubs on the clutch fork are slightly worn on the side facing the engine.  The to bearing is flat. Should it be convex because it is a diaphragm clutch?

Edited by kenoshakicker - Dec/07/2018 at 8:02am
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 6:57am
It may just be the picture, but the clutch fork finger looks damaged. If so, your throw out bearing is not going to release or engage properly.
Your throw out bearing sitting at an angle would scrape up your diaphragm fingers. And it would be noisy, metal scraping sound.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 8:06am
I called Phoenix and they said the bearing in the kit should be flat.  I will pull the fork and post photos. 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 8:08am
Install the bellhousing first. I have two ~4" long studs that I then thread into the bellhousing to align and guide the transmission into place. The studs are 7/16-14 bolts that I cut the heads off of. With this system and only a floor jack it's not hard for one person to do.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 8:45pm
I agree, that throw-out lever, the "finger" on the left looks like it's damaged. it should be a perfect stubby rod/cylinder. 

the release bearing surface that contacts the finger is flat. it is meant to float loosely on the transmission bearing retainer nose and "self-align" when you press the pedal. the surface gets a scuff pattern, but I've not seem much wear beyond that.

if the bearing itself was bad then it might force that flat surface to rotate, and that would sure make noise and wear. if you press the bearing flat down on a table with full body weight it ought to rotate perfectly smoothly with no crunchiness. if it's not perfectly smooth, even if it's new, it's bad.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 10:52am
What year is this on? My '70 was a bear to get the right throw out bearing. Ended up using the correct sleeve that fit the input shaft of the transmission and installed the correct bearing on the correct sleeve. The ID of the purchased throwout bearing was too big for the transmission input shaft. It wobbled  and that could be the problem that you are having...Transistion period and things changed. Most kits have the wrong throw out bearing.
SC
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 4:09pm
This on a 1973 Javelin with the T-10. I will post photos of the fork.  I believe that both nubs are not completely round.  They have flat spots on the side that faces the engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic