TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cometic MLS head gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cometic MLS head gaskets
    Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 7:40am
Would like to know who is running these and if they are having good luck.  I've got a fresh cast block/Indy Sr headed drag engine.  It is around 14.5:1 comp.  The engine was dynoed without incident and ran for 30 minutes and one awful pass at the track.  After getting the car home I figured I would run the valves before pulling the rockers off and winterizing the car, There appeared to be a little water on the oil so I did a leakdown and found #3 was putting air in the radiator.  Pulled the head and had it pressure tested and checked out at a reputable local shop and they said it looks perfect.  I checked the deck surface out the best I could and it passes the feeler gauge test which is all I know to do, it looks freshly cut and smooth.  The gasket has a small impefecrion on the lower left hand water jacket/fire ring area, which would appear to be the leak.  I'm hoping it was some sort of fluke gasket issue, my plan is to clean everything up and reassemble, just wanted to make sure I shouldnt be thinking of something else while it's apart.  Thanks, Andy.
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 9:08am
I used them when I put the new engine together for my Gremlin 
I had the standard Felpro blue gaskets before.

Haven´t had any problems with the Cometic 
Installed them dry with no copper spray or sealer on the gaskets

AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 9:21am
Ask Kevin "Stickshifter" I am sure he has used every kind of gaskets known over the years.

Since he has the same hardware as you he's one of a few here qualified to answer your question in that performance level.

Tom
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 11:22am
Hey Andy,
when i first built the 407 iron block, sr heads. it kept blowing coolant...
as it turned out the heads were not perfectly flat from INDY....  after i had the surface trued, no head gasket issue since... i have been using Rol gaskets...
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 11:26am
My first impulse is to say it was more than likely a fluke. We have built several engines using the MLS gaskets and have encountered no problems so far.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 1:38pm
I use the Cometic MLS on everything I own from my 401 to motorcycles.

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 1:42pm
Do you have the extra head bolts?   If not, might be worthwhile to add while it's apart.
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 2:45pm
The engine in my car is similar. Dome pistons and lots of compression. I could not hold a head gasket without the extra head bolts.

With the extra head bolts and ROL gaskets I have never had a problem.

I have never tried the cometic gaskets.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Dec/05/2018 at 2:47pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 3:58pm
On my new engine we'll be using the MLS head gaskets. Engine builder told me it's important to machine the surface of the block mirror smooth. A standard decking like you'd do with the Fel-Pro gaskets isn't good enough.

-Steve-
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 4:05pm
I do not have the extra headbolts.  I would add them at this point given the opportunity, but the engine is still in the car.  I will probably reassemble the way it is with a fresh gasket.  I have a stock block, Im sure Kevin F has an Indy block and likely extra headbolts, so his setup is different, but Im happy to have anyone's opinion.  Thanks, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic