TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cometic MLS head gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cometic MLS head gaskets
    Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 10:38am
Mine did seap into the engine, ruined a few cylinders

brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 6:17am
I couldn’t agree more.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2019 at 11:25pm
seeping out of the motor doesn't really bother me its when it fills the cylinder that its an issue.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2019 at 6:50pm
On mine I had better luck with the fel pro gasket, the cometics seeped just a tad, I also have the extra head bolts, 3/8th
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2019 at 7:11pm
I’m sorry to hear your issue hasn’t been resolved either.  I hope you can get it squared away quickly, personally, I just want this thing out of my garage at this point.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2019 at 10:04pm
ours is currently out of the car to get extra head bolts and oringed if it doesn't make passes this time i don't know what else to try. but our experience over the past year do what ever it takes to get it done.
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 3:08pm
I had the hardened 5/16 arp studs, machine washers and 12 point nuts that were laying around intended for a Buick build  that never got used. So I used them.

I will double check on that though, it's been awhile. I'm thinking they were 5/16 but I could be remembering wrong and they could be 3/8 ?

When you drill the block deck you will drill through into the water jacket. When it goes through you know that you are deep enough.

I don't think you will be able to use a gasket punch on a MLS gasket ?? If they are steel shim gasket you might be able to cut them with a laser, a water jet machine or a mill bit.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Jun/24/2019 at 3:21pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 2:36pm
But moving forward, why 5/16” as opposed to 3/8”, where you concerned about the amount of material there.  Do you remember how deep you went with them?  Also, there is a special punch that can be used to modify the MLS gaskets without any concern of creating an issue?  It looks like a fairly thick piece of stainless (???).  If I had a milling machine in my garage I probably wouldn’t be crying on the internet about doing the modification.  I will need to bring them to the local machine shop and have the holes drilled and washer surfaces cut.  Thanks again, Andy’s 
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 2:17pm
No sweat man, I appreciate all the comments and looking back your right.  I just can’t get over the fact that the guy who built this engine has been racing and building these engines for close to 50 years.  I didn’t just hatch up this anti-extra head bolt scheme myself, a well respected builder made the call.   I can’t even bring myself to call him again because I will be sent into a tailspin if he says again that I don’t need the extra headbolts.  He has remained adamant that they are unnecessary and even told me to try a set of fle-pro gaskets.  It probably doesn’t seem like a big hurdle to some guys, but I don’t have the time to be be pulling the engine every couple months and hope that it’s fixed, go to the track and be disappointed again.  I’m I crazy for feeling like I got f-ucked, cause I absolutely feel that way.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 12:46pm
Also, I understand how you feel from reading your posts that you are really frustrated right now and I am not cutting on you at all, but if you would listened to advice from people that have been there and done that your issues would have been long behind you and you would be having fun going down the track.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic