TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 69 amx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 9:56pm
Did you grind up a dizzy gear with this new build engine?
Greg E.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 9:56pm
In 4 degrees ? !  ...  awesome work Beer
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 8:22am
Again my thanx to grey ghost ITV just bugs me that it ran good 7 months ago , I ordered a crank bolt so that’s a start in right direction hope weather breaks soon as I can get it towed to grey ghost 
and stupid me backed car in so even with heat we had to keep opening the door . I’m wondering what could it be ..?
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
Grey Ghost View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 3:03pm
Dizzy gear was good cam gear looked good in the hole also.
Lets go racing!
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 7:23pm
what r thoughts on throwing a 390 in there
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 1:59am
It sounds like your spark quality isn't good enough. Possibly the condenser is shot. Maybe an upgraded distributor is due.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:12am
With 150 psi on each cylinder it seems like you could rule out major internal mechanical problems, like cam timing.

You could pull a plug wire and let the spark jump to ground so you can see the color. Blue white is good, orange not good.

The carb could be plugged up with rust fines. Over time I've seen the rust settle to a cake, and the fuel drained out pretty clear then. If you pull the front bowl you'll be able to tell if that could be it as some will settle there first.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:33am
carb fresh rebuild from ace
Thinking on changeing to solid state ignition 
Thoughts 

Edited by amx007 - Feb/09/2019 at 12:58pm
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
Grey Ghost View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 9:30pm
Gary we can do an electronic ignition upgrade, I have a stock Motorcraft style distributor (we will need to install your original gear on it) use a GM HEI module and a MSD blaster coil which should give you more spark output. We did this on my sons Pacer when his stock module gave out, it will be more dependable than points.
Lets go racing!
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 6:54am
Hey sonny hope all well,  wanting to get runing, paint guy want running car, ( so he can mess it up again ) lol I like the idea of up grading distributor I’m thinking there was a different distributor in there since the old owners switched parts out what if gear is wrong ? I know of a coil distributor in one for sale  your thoughts gary
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic