TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 69 amx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 4:57pm
Timing.  Assuming you got it on Top dead center on 1 on compression stroke when you redid the plug wires.  Rotate the distributor slightly each way to see if you get better results.   Also assumes you have good gas, choke closed, and solid stream of gas into the carb when setting choke.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 4:57pm
Now that plug wires are installed in the correct firing order on the distibutor and going to each cylinder, the distributor is probably 180 degrees out of time...just a guess. 

\When no.1 cylinder is on TDC does the rotor point to the boss on the distributor cap for no. 1 cylinder?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 5:15pm
I’ll try loosening the distributor and move it but what gets me is how did it run with the wires like that no wonder it was backfireing can’t trust anyone sabatogee

Edited by amx007 - Dec/19/2018 at 5:39pm
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 3:18pm
Lots of possibilities.  Might have a bad cam.  Common old car problem.  You say you rebuilt the Holley, it is very common for a Holley to backfire and blow the power valve.  Running with a blown power valve will quickly foul the spark plugs.  Newer Holley will have check valve to prevent power valve damage.  What carb is on it and is it an older carb that you rebuilt?  If you don't know, replace the power valve and spark plugs.  Next, I am surprised by your comment that the car ran with the spark plug wires wrong.  Check again.  What I would recommend is pulling number one spark plug, put your thumb over the hole, and crank it by hand until you feel pressure.  That means you are on the compression stroke.  Then turn just enough more to line up the timing mark and you will be on top dead center for number one.  Whereever the rotor points should be number one.  Then make sure the wires in order go 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and recognize that drivers side is 1-3-5-7 front to back and passengers side is 2-4-6-8 front to back.  If you have been to multiple shops it might be in your best interest to fly Phat69 into town and pay him expenses.  If you can tow it to Cincinnati, I'll show you how to do it for free.  
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 10:10pm
it nice to get the help thanx guys 
Gary merry Xmas to all
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 8:51am
Well my thanx goes out to grey ghost for coming all the way to my house to help work on my amx 
We did all the right stuff to no avail new plugs no points could not find them but it wanted to run but would not , carb getting gas to plugs,  thoughts are leaning to timing chain ( hope not )
Points were working according to dwell meter .
Now
Hope to figure this out without tearing it all the way down checked compression when cold could not warm it up to try right way still at 150 though 
Hope not cam

dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:09pm
Das bummer... Did you all happen to check to see if the Rockers were too tight or if the Push Rods were too long ?
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:27pm
no we didn’t did not get that far good points 
dream red white and blue
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 1:50pm
Can you post pictures of the engine compartment?
Grey Ghost View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 9:50pm
From what I could see Gary's wiring is not in bad shape some one wired in the electric choke near the ballast resister at the coil. I static timed the distributor of the crank thinking the balancer outer ring may have spun but that was not the case. the points were out of adjustment so set them to 28 degree dwell while cranking, did a compression test has 150 psi across the board put new spark plugs in. Some were black other looked ok not excessively wet, checked the float levels on the Holley front was low rear was good. I tried hot wiring the coil strait off the battery to eliminate any issues that might be present up stream, the best we could get out of engine was barely run at wide open throttle with priming intake with carb cleaner. Drained fuel out of the float bowl looked good smelled good so not a bad gas issue, all this done while it was 4 degrees outside. was unable to check timing chain play due to engine has wrong crank bolt and it was loose. our next plan of attack is to tow it to my house were I can dig into it deeper, only brought a limited amount of tools with me. My plan is to eliminate everything externally before the engine needs to be opened up. I think I covered everything up to this point. Just remembered pulled the fuse for the choke to try with it opened and closed.
Lets go racing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic