TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Super Jeep 304

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Super Jeep 304
    Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 2:36pm
My hippy-dippy Super Jeep as I found it.  Drove it home on four bald and rotten Power Cats, rusted away exhaust, one burned valve, cooked rings, laying thick blue smoke, no plates, no insurance (that was dumb).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/b_foster/media/SuperJeep/Sany0097.jpg. -

First task: dig out all of the racoon turds (all rescue Jeeps come with racoon turds, I have found).  It had snap-in carpet kit that is still in pretty good shape.  Perhaps racoon scat has preservative properties.  This thing had a GASOLINE HEATER under the driver's seat.  It had a spark plug for ignition and was fed from a T on the gas line, along with a small electric fuel pump.  As curious as I was to make it work I opted to discard the self-immolation device.  I could find no information about it in the entire world wide interweb.  It was made by Hunter Manufacturing.

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/b_foster/media/SuperJeep/Sany0130.jpg. -

Edited by ChillyB - Nov/15/2018 at 2:39pm
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by ChillyB ChillyB wrote:

As curious as I was to make it work I opted to discard the self-immolation device.

LoL!  A very good move in the long-run.Wink
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 4:16pm
NICE!!! VERY COOL!!!!

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 4:18pm
Sweet find!

Thanks for posting it up for us to see. Clap
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 5:02pm
VW/Porsche used eberspacher brand heaters in the same type of way. The air coolers needed extra heat. Though much maligned by mechanics and owners that didn’t have a clue, they were great. In my youth, my VW 412 provided flat flat lay down area, ‘spatcher the heat, and pioneer the tunes, when the wagoneer was apart and there was still life to be livin...

911 Porsche’s had them.

Now, in the marine world, eberspatcher(espar) and wabasto are household names in heaters. Particularly also big rig heaters, for when the rig is “sleeping”.
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 5:03pm
Could restore the heater, if you can get the control board ironed out. Or put in heated seats😎
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 5:46pm
Here is the dash, as it was when I took delivery.  Very customized with fancy ash tray.  Lost in the windshield frame was a NORML hat pin Wink.  I think the dude who owned this thing originally was an interesting fellow.  Also quite a variety of match books, golf tees, golf pencils.  Note the aluminum Hurst shifter handle, mounted fighter joystick style.  Seats were from an early 70s Trans Am, I believe.  Tiny wheel entire unsuitable for manual steering and wide tires.

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/b_foster/media/SuperJeep/Sany0122.jpg. -

Replaced the flat springs with a 2.5" lift, new wheels, 32" Swampers, then noticed a leak in the gas tank.  Seemed really hard to drop from below so this happened:

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/b_foster/media/SuperJeep/RollingChassisReduced.jpg. -

That led to a whole bunch of more work.  Completely redid the chassis, pretty much everything except body work.

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/b_foster/media/SuperJeep/Sany0574.jpg. -

72gremx401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72gremx401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 2:28pm
I hope you realize how rare a jeep you have there .  Smile
FASTNASH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FASTNASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 8:42am
Wow. Very Cool Jeep. Saw many new. When I was kid. Great project.
AMO#3040 NAMDRA#1115 AMC's are just like potato chips you just can't have one.              
steinercj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinercj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 3:34pm
I like it. So what makes it a Super Jeep? How many/few were made? One year only? I have a '75 CJ5 with the big steering wheel. Even after I went to power steering, I kept the orig wheel. That little wheel on yours looks difficult if you have manual. Looking forward to finished pics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic