TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

My 1969 AMX was a 343 4V Automatic and the original Borg Warner Flexplate did NOT have a weight on it.  Do you think maybe your Flexplate had been replaced due to a bad ring gear and someone used the wrong flexplate?  I'm pretty sure the AMC 390 Borg Warner Automatic Flexplate is the one that has the rectangular weight on it.
It appears the red oxide on the pumpkin held up well for 50 years, is it Twin-Grip ?
An old nail in the leaf spring was thinking out side of the box and most likely stopped the rattle.
There are date codes stamped on the Main Leaf near one end.
Is there a place in Australia that can re-arch and re-temper your Leaf Springs ? 
Thanks for your work taking and posting pictures and progress, I for one enjoy checking it out.

Yes, I have a spare 343 and like yours it has no weight on the flexplate. The one on this vehicle could have been from another model or a bad balance job. The white paint mark and letters CN make me think bad balance job.
390 AMC engines are rare in Australia. Aussie 70 Javelin only far as I know, and only 70 of those assembled here.
The red oxide on the diff did hold up well. Coated with black paint that came off easily with the pressure spray, was a surprise to see how good it was. Hidden away with black paint again now for someone else to find in another 50 years. It is a twin grip.
Plenty of spring places here, but in about 1983 I added a leaf and cold reset a very similar springpack on a 1979 Toyota Hi-Lux utility. Don't mind doing it again if need be.
Thanks for your input. I would be struggling but for this forum and being lucky to have a very original Aussie AMX as a template.

Edited by Mostly last. - Apr/23/2019 at 10:19pm
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2019 at 1:13pm
TSM says take the timing cover dowels out. Not sure now that I should of.
Threaded the inside of the dowel and this cheap two man tent peg 3/16. Got this one out easy. Ruined the other one.
Didn't want another 10 day to three week wait for a part from USA.
Bought a replacement dowel locally. Solid and a little too big.
Drilled it end to end with a hand drill. ( First go ran off, flipped it over and got it in the middle from the other way. ) Got a good 3/16 thread in it and then sanded it with 180 grit by hand on the end of the cheap tent peg, measuring with a micrometer until it fit.

Got under Aussie AMX#24 and did some measuring. Made a frame while waiting for a timing cover that I hope is better than the one I have on hand.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2019 at 5:40pm
Finished painting suspension parts yesterday. Running out of places to put things.

Looked inside the starter. Very dirty but brushes looked good. Cut the mica segments down. Would turn over but not pull in. Try again.
After the third time apart and sanding every earth finally had a win.
Clean the outside and paint next.

Got a surprise when I investigated the air cleaner. Factory correct for 4 barrel 343 off Aussie AMX#24 on the left.
Ring in on the right came with parts for AMX#14, suspect it's from a two barrel engine. Looks like a big air flow restriction. Cut it out.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Mostly last. Mostly last. wrote:

Got a surprise when I investigated the air cleaner. Factory correct for 4 barrel 343 off Aussie AMX#24 on the left.
Ring in on the right came with parts for AMX#14, suspect it's from a two barrel engine. Looks like a big air flow restriction. Cut it out.

John,

That is a correct 4 barrel air cleaner base, found on 290-343-390 4V engines put in Body Body cars like Ambassador and Rebel.  It was baffled to cut the noise on the "Top Level" cars.....you did good by just cutting the baffle out.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 12:39am
Thanks Ross, I'm learning plenty.

Today I found out more.
Reading a post from 2017 in V8 engine section I realised the carburetor ( M7A 4624S ) is for a 68 343 manual car.
Interesting it was first 4623S ( correct for 68 343 auto ) but the three has been overstamped with a 4.

Did some research in the parts book and I would need about seven parts to go back to what it was and about 11 parts to make it the same as a 4663S which is the correct carby for our 69 AMX 343 auto.
Aussie 69 AMX 343 auto pictured here.

If I could find a correct 4663S I got international shipping and most likely a carby overhaul kit ahead of me.

Looking today I can get a new edelbrock 1905 AVS2 650 in Australia.
I realise to keep my air cleaner housing I would have to alter the inside to suit the bigger carby mouth.
Can anyone please give me advice if other than that its a direct fit, edelbrock AVS2 to the factory 343 manifold.
I reckon if I need a spacer, adapter plate the extra height might kill making the factory air cleaner fit.

2021 edit,- I used a CFM calculator and went with the 500 CFM  edelbrock 1902 AVS2 for the 343.
      Been a good choice so far.   Went with 650CFM AVS2 on a 390 in a different AMX in 2020.

Edited by Mostly last. - Nov/29/2021 at 4:00pm
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 7:11am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

John,

That is a correct 4 barrel air cleaner base, found on 290-343-390 4V engines put in Body Body cars like Ambassador and Rebel.  It was baffled to cut the noise on the "Top Level" cars.....you did good by just cutting the baffle out.

Ross

I've seen the baffled filter housing in multiple original 1968 390 AMXs, including mine, so I think they didn't control this 100% as intended.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 7:16am

Thanks Ross, I'm learning plenty.

Today I found out more.
Reading a post from 2017 in V8 engine section I realised the carburetor ( M7A 4624S ) is for a 68 343 manual car.
Interesting it was first 4623S ( correct for 68 343 auto ) but the three has been overstamped with a 4.

Did some research in the parts book and I would need about seven parts to go back to what it was and about 11 parts to make it the same as a 4663S which is the correct carby for our 69 AMX 343 auto.
Aussie 69 AMX 343 auto pictured here.

If I could find a correct 4663S I got international shipping and most likely a carby overhaul kit ahead of me.

Looking today I can get a new edelbrock 1905 AVS2 650 in Australia.
I realise to keep my air cleaner housing I would have to alter the inside to suit the bigger carby mouth.
Can anyone please give me advice if other than that its a direct fit, edelbrock AVS2 to the factory 343 manifold.
I reckon if I need a spacer, adapter plate the extra height might kill making the factory air cleaner fit.

That date code stamping is interesting- I've never seen an M like that and I have several M7 carbs. Did they final assemble Carter carbs outside the US? It looks like they started with the basic casting and then finished them somewhere else and stamped the month portion date code and altered the PN if necessary.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 7:27am
Misc- absolutely no need to take the timing cover dowels out as you now realize.

The leaf springs had a PN ID and a date code on the shortest spring. Most people burn out the rubber bushing material with a torch; it's quick, but it makes a mess. The early Mustangs use the same leaf spring clamps but their kit includes an extra one.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

Misc- absolutely no need to take the timing cover dowels out as you now realize.

The leaf springs had a PN ID and a date code on the shortest spring. Most people burn out the rubber bushing material with a torch; it's quick, but it makes a mess. The early Mustangs use the same leaf spring clamps but their kit includes an extra one.

Steve-P, Thanks for all the information.
Regards Carter Carburetor alteration outside USA, I don't know.
The carburetor in question was altered from auto to suit a manual.
Far as I know Australian Motor Industries that did final assembly of the KCD bodies over here only sold automatic Javelins and AMX's.
I do not know if their rebel or ambassadors included manual transmissions.

By the way I replaced that steering part like you recomended in a previous post. One of your fellow countrymen generously helped out.
Super glad I joined the forum.

Edited by Mostly last. - Apr/30/2019 at 4:34pm
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 5:45am
Plan is to roll this in under the body on the hoist.

Timing cover on the right turned up yesterday. Has some corrosion and the top alternator-oil filter bracket has a broken lug. The RHD filter set up is what I was missing.
Will swap the RHD oil filter lines and base over to the cover on the left.
Been sandblasted I reckon and lost some detail. Will have to do.
It has 79 and a C on it, Crankshaft seal can go in from either way. Timing marks are different.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic