TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 8:05am
I'm thinking the balance weight on the flex plate has been welded on the wrong side, looks like those welds might be fresh like the ring gear ones. Somebody may have made one from two to repair/replace broken parts, maybe some help here http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/flex-plate-id_topic4832_page8.html

TX390AMX,  if you ever make it to Perth, look me up, there are a few AMC fans over here in the west, but it is probably just about as far away from Mostly Last as you can get on the mainland.

Edited by WesternRed - Dec/22/2018 at 8:13am
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 10:49am
Thanks for that link Darren. Much appreciated.
 Was going to take a smidgeon of metal off the weight to stop it scraping.
Did not think to question the side the weights were on. Have to take a closer look now at the spare 343 engine flex plate. Also wondering if I can get a look at the engine side of #24's flex plate through that hole in the engine-bell housing plate.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Ambassador66 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambassador66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 9:18pm
Quite an amazing project you have. Wish I had 1/10 that amount of talent. Good on you.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Ambassador66 Ambassador66 wrote:

Quite an amazing project you have. Wish I had 1/10 that amount of talent. Good on you.

Thankyou for the encouragement.
This forum is a big help.

Checked that link ( Western Red's post top of this page ) regards flexplate. Page 5 of that thread  SC397 says,-

" You are in luck, it is hellbilly proof!  No, you can not bolt the flex plate on backwards.  (I just tried it)  There is no position where all of the holes will line up when it is flipped the wrong way. 
The counter weights on the 904 & 727 are on the side that faces the transmission. 
The counter weights on the TH400 and Borg Warners face the engine side. "

Guess that means I will have to shave a little off the high side of the balancing weight.
Checked out the flex plate on our spare 343 and it has no balancing weight.

Over Christmas New Year our daughter and her partner visited. Great young bloke he helped me pull the 343 belongs to this car apart.
Found one exhaust valve different type to all the others stuck and of course a bent pushrod.
Got some spares on hand and found a valve and pushrod I think can replace it. Amusing, engine will still have an odd exhaust valve.
 That same young bloke is very patient and a good teacher. Taught dinosaur me about tig welding.
About 40 years ago I had a go brazing a catch on a WW2 ammunition box with oxy acet.
 Found tig similar and having a ball.
 Made a harmonic balancer puller first and used it on 343.

Next was a fiddly bit. One of the keepers for window seal, end was broken off. Blew holes in it first go. Turned the tig welder way down to 2 setting and got it next go.  How to make the plastic coating next.
used Devcon, went OK.

Fixed below. 
 Modern world is great. I dented that drip rail stainless you can see in the pic badly, installing it. ( Had read Scott Campbell's AMX restoration book and knew not to build up too much paint there, but moulding was twisted slightly and I stupidly used a small rubber mallet to persuade it) Watched a yotube video on how to straighten stainless, then another on how to knock it off the drip rail with a piece of hardwood. Took a full day but it's back on looking how it should.

Top part of the 1/4 window edge was broken off and dipstick tube top and bottom was separated.
Tig welder fixed them as well. Saving bigtime now, don't need so many replacement parts from USA.

Edited by Mostly last. - Jan/06/2019 at 3:33pm
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2019 at 3:04pm
Painted the grille.  Installed it and the bumper.

Moved onto the floor covering. Not sure how it's going to go.
Patched up saddles and bridles in the past. If I get it cut out right looks like a lot of edging to stitch.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 7:44am
Floor covering went okay.

Copied the covering used in the boot of Aussie AMX#24. Took a while to stitch around the edge by hand.
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
maddvector View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddvector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 8:26am
Awesome Cars!
Incredible Work!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by maddvector maddvector wrote:

Awesome Cars!
Incredible Work!

Thankyou.
Enjoying the challenge. Learning a lot.

Couldn't find a wedge that goes on the collapsible steering column bracket. Made one from a block of aluminium.

Worked ok. Got the steering column installed.

Used scrap plastic to make a cover for the light warning buzzer.

Seats next. Got a frightening quote from an upholsterer. Spent enough all ready. Have a go myself first I think.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 4:17pm
Shaping the foam for drivers seat cushion took a while and lost some blood stitching a new seat insert into the surrounding 50 year old vinyl.
Not perfect but I won't be able to see it when I'm sitting in it.

Glued up cracks in the signal switch and back of the steering wheel.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2019 at 1:53am
Used Butyl to fit the old windscreen in.
First time with butyl for me. Went pretty good.

Should bring back memories for the people who remember this car from early 1992.

Noticed this a while back. Been boundary riding it till now. Pulled the front suspension apart today. Car has had an impact sometime bottom of left side " A " pillar. Was worried the cast steel would break.

Took it round the corner to a friend who restores old stationary engines and knows more about metal than I ever will. Tried pushing the bend out in a press. At 30 ton pressure a pin in the press failed. AMC metal is tough.
Heated the knuckle pin in a vice next and pulled it around with a piece of heavy pipe over it. Cooled it with compressed air then water.
Bet I think about it every corner I turn for a while if I ever get on the road.

Edited by Mostly last. - Mar/03/2019 at 1:55am
69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic