TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anti Diesel Valve?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdarosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti Diesel Valve?
    Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 8:02pm
I just picked up an excellent '87 Eagle, all stock. Great condition, but diesels after I turn it off.

I took it in for a carb adjustment, mechanic tells me the anti diesel valve is fried and needs to be replaced, but the carb looks new so he thinks it's a wiring issue. Anyone have any experience here? I have another carb, but have no idea about this anti diesel valve.

Thanks!

1968 American 440 – 232/AT 4dr
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 8:18pm
Sounds mighty crazy to me !! 
I think you got a timing issue. I would time it with a vacuum gauge as it may have a different cam. 
Also you may have a vacuum leak as there is alot of hoses on that car. 
My guess its not a wiring issue.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

PS Nice looking car by the way
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 10:49pm
Looks real good!
Low mileage, short trips?
Lots of carbon buildup - highest, combustion cleaner and a long run.
Or take the head off and clean it.
That's if everything else looks as pristine under the hood as the exterior.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 11:26pm
The throttle position solenoid is what your mechanic may be referring to. When correctly adjusted it sets the normal hot idle speed of the engine  (holds the throttle open for normal idle) while the ignition is on.  When you turn the ignition off, the peg on the solenoid relaxes the throttle setting to the completely closed position to hopefully eliminate run-on (dieseling).   It is easy to test the solenoid.  If the solenoid is set properly, with the engine warm and idling normally, just disconnect the power to the solenoid.  The engine should die.  Get a service manual and learn how to set the carb up normally.  Joe  
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 1:19am
Actually I think the four cylinder Eagles had a dedicated anti-Diesel valve. It was similar to the PCV shutoff solenoid on the six cylinder engines. In fact, I think the anti-Diesel valve was a kind of shutoff valve on the PCV hose that the EEC computer energized when the engine was shut off to block PCV airflow that could cause Dieseling. 

The Sole-vac throttle positioner assembly has nothing to do with preventing Dieseling. It just kicks up the idle speed when electrical accessories are turned on, when the steering wheel is maxed out to one side, or when the engine is started. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 6:26am
hi, the PCV shut off solenoid was recalled by AMC, clogged up too often.  gz
george z
jdarosa View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdarosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 7:28pm
Thanks everybody. I'm going to work through these one by one and see how it goes.
1968 American 440 – 232/AT 4dr
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2018 at 7:33am
What you really need is a TSM for your car (Technical Service Manual -- what AMC called their factory repair manuals). This is especially true for one of the late model smog cars! The Chilton's and Haynes books don't give enough info. You will need an M.R. 251 manual, NOT the cheaper M.R. 254 (251 is mechanical, 254 is body). Here is one on e-bay:

ALL the missions system must work or one thing has a subtle affect on another and none of it will work exactly right. Start by replacing all the vacuum hoses, then test the systems one by one and repair as needed. IIRC they emission system is GM based, making parts easier to find, but you have to know what to replace! The TSM has all the test procedures, and it's not all that hard to do IF you have the TSM and a little patience.
Frank Swygert
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2018 at 10:40pm
hi, the late computer (84+) is FORD based, and believe it or not, still available at any auto parts place, about $200. That 84+ TSM is a piece of work! about 3" thick, I have one, it's all in there. good luck, gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic