TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2019 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Hard to believe torque drops as RPM increases past 4000. Even below 5K, which makes me think something may have been overlooked.

Did you try a simple non boosted calibration to see how the engine is responding just with the FI system, even though your cam is set for a boosted application, you may see a broader upward torque curve before it falls. Not the very narrow and light peak.

Gosh, I expected 700hp for the build.

No, didn't run it without boost. Once it's in the car and it gets more data it may improve some but probably not that much. We'll see.

-Steve-

Just a question that popped up, as some like to do a baseline comparison, to see results or help trouble shoot.

Maybe it really needs to be driven to self tune... but as of recent with another fresh build, the valve springs were just a tad too strong for the lifters. Seems it may be a possible issue, if your torque curve continues to sag after installation into your car. The nice thing is a wee adjustment to valve lash to correct, if that be the case.

Sorry to see your disappointment with the initial results, as i too would feel the same, with mixed feelings to the efforts.

I am sure, it will be sorted out without much trouble to correct.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2019 at 3:21pm
TS sent me these nice dimension drawings of both kits. They said they have not installed one on a small body yet but know of 2 installations

Edited by Phitown Hustler - Jun/17/2019 at 3:23pm
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 7:22pm
Started installing the engine in the car today. Next time I use the Canton pan I'm going to cut and slope the front sump area so it won't interfere with the stock engine cradle.

Another problem I've run into is the Doug's header collides with the spark plugs on the Edelbrock Performer heads. I'll have to pull them back out and cut the mounting flanges back a bit.

Always something......

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 5:40pm
Pulled the headers out and ground the spark plug sides down a bit. Started putting in the supercharger and ran into some fitment issues.

Air filter won't fit right on the supercharger, hits the master cylinder and upper control arm mount.

I was going to relocate it to the underside of the hood scoop but after looking at the height of the supercharger hat there's going to be a clearance problem.

Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 9:14pm
Thanks for all the pictures and hard work. It will help when I am ready to install my torgstorm on STR crossram. SC Rambler, thinking about just using one torqstorm on passenger side relocating battery to driver side connecting both fitech fi units together with torqstorm. You mention that your CR was 9.2 was that static compression. And do you know what your dynamic effective compression ratio would end up being. My static is 10.2 but with cam adjustment dynamic would be 8.5 is that to much compression for stock motor using torqstorm. Motor bottom end is totally stock except for cam and STR Crossram. Any input from anyone is appreciated. Thanks 
SC Rambler
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 10:14pm
That's a common problem I've seen with those setups and leaving the air filter there to pull all that hot air in is a bad idea - especially without knock sensors. You really should try to get cold air into it. One suggestion would be to put a hole in the inner fender, forward of the shock tower and run ductwork to the front of the car under the trough or in the trough to have the filter up beside the headlight. I'm not sure how much room you have compared to a humpster. I have my filter in the inner fender with ducting to have the air inlet beside the headlight so it gets air coming thru the grill.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 12:40pm
Mopar guy
I was going to try to get the intake. Close to or connected to where my hood scoop enters from the hood. SC Rambler, maybe with some flex tubing not sure. Also about finding a filter that fits within a canister, I have a setup on my motor home like that but it takes up too much room. I know I need a filter somewhere before air enters the torqstorm. Yes I don't like the air filter just sitting there receiving hot air from motor under hood. Would like to make hood scoop functional. Maybe some kind of factory air box would work smaller the better routing from hood scoop to box to torqstorm. Anyway Motor is still in car still working on front suppension almost done. Pulled tranny and bellhousing but thinking ahead about motor things.   
Thanks Ramzilla
SC Rambler
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 5:28pm
Here's a few pictures of my cold air intake ducting if it gives you any ideas.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 8:27pm
I think something like this could work.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 9:07pm
Had a long fan spacer cut down so I could use the mechanical fan with the Torqstorm supercharger. Got about 3/16" of clearance. Probably an inch between the fan and radiator (once I get it installed).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic