TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 1:37pm
That engine looks mighty big with the supercharger installed. I take it your going to strong arm the steering, as I dont see any room for power steering pump.

A beautiful piece it is!

I am sure they have all the issues sorted out with belt jump, one thing that may help if your romping around with sudden stabs and releases, is to use a longer throw arm (Mopar tensioner).

I have been playing on the idea... If the input shaft on the supercharger, can be machined for a hub for various adaptions of pulleys, I would try using a Police Intercepter alternator clutch pulley as an end all to any belt jumping, especially if using NOS. Though it would be 20% overdrive to make boost start just above idle. Though it would limit your RPM range for anything above 6500 or so. Just ideas from my thoughts of using one. Space has limited me on incorporating it into my plans.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

That engine looks mighty big with the supercharger installed. I take it your going to strong arm the steering, as I dont see any room for power steering pump.

A beautiful piece it is!

I am sure they have all the issues sorted out with belt jump, one thing that may help if your romping around with sudden stabs and releases, is to use a longer throw arm (Mopar tensioner).

I have been playing on the idea... If the input shaft on the supercharger, can be machined for a hub for various adaptions of pulleys, I would try using a Police Intercepter alternator clutch pulley as an end all to any belt jumping, especially if using NOS. Though it would be 20% overdrive to make boost start just above idle. Though it would limit your RPM range for anything above 6500 or so. Just ideas from my thoughts of using one. Space has limited me on incorporating it into my plans.

I took the power steering off the car when I built it. I requested the driver's side mounted supercharger specifically since there's nothing over there.

Tensioner is in a prone position right now, no spring action. It snugs up pretty good at the supercharger pulley when the belt is on.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 6:42pm
FINALLY!

Is it really that hard to get the flange welded in square?

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2019 at 3:50pm
Installing the last bits for the Torqstorm system. Some interference with the inlet and oil filler.

Shortened the oil filler tube.

Now waiting for dyno time!

-Steve-

Eazybee View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eazybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2019 at 5:55pm
Oh man. I'm as excited as you probably are to fire that up. 
My mount is on the passenger side (ps pump) but it doesn't change having to alter the oil filler tube. I'm trying to dream up alternatives.
My block went to the machine shop last Tuesday. For now I am living vicariously through you. ;)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Eazybee Eazybee wrote:

Oh man. I'm as excited as you probably are to fire that up. 
My mount is on the passenger side (ps pump) but it doesn't change having to alter the oil filler tube. I'm trying to dream up alternatives.
My block went to the machine shop last Tuesday. For now I am living vicariously through you. ;)

If there was some way to angle the filler tube that would solve the problem. Maybe I should look into that also.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 2:56pm
Found out the Sniper throttle body uses a 1/4" stud and the Torqstorm hat comes with a nice stainless nut which has a rubber seal on the underside but it's 5/16". Made a stud using a 1/4" bolt and some 5/16" all thread. Welded the all thread to the top of the bolt head and ground it down. Didn't turn out too bad!

-Steve-

Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 4:32pm
I am thinking of a Torqstorm or procharger setup on the next engine for my Spirit but not sure if its gonna fit. I would also do a driver side since I have no power accesories but have concerns it will fit in the bay and also under the hood with an air gap. Anyone else done TS on a small car?
crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 8:47pm
I second that. Looks like it would be very tight on a small body.I searched all over the internet and the only small body I found with a torquestorm has a small block Chevy too bad it was a killer car.....
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 5:17pm
Mounted on the dyno, should get numbers early next week!

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic