TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2019 at 4:07pm
I like the suggestion of that Airaid from Summit put it in My wish list. Thanks
SC Rambler
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2019 at 6:48am
This my intake set-up for a Vortech blower, it uses a cast aluminum 180° elbow made by Vortech:

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2019 at 3:09pm
Nice setup!

Got mine started and running today although it won't shut off just like the MSD 6AL system I had before. Since Holley owns MSD I'm betting the ballast resistor fix is necessary. Gonna drop Holley a note and find out.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Ramzilla Ramzilla wrote:

I like the suggestion of that Airaid from Summit put it in My wish list. Thanks

I got one of those and cut some sections. Nice tube made of solid material. Here's a word of warning though...... I cut some sections using an angle grinder and cutting wheel. When cutting the plastic turns molten then sticks to and burns exposed skin like napalm. Got a couple of good blisters from it.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Nice setup!

Got mine started and running today although it won't shut off just like the MSD 6AL system I had before. Since Holley owns MSD I'm betting the ballast resistor fix is necessary. Gonna drop Holley a note and find out.

-Steve-

Installed the dual ballast resistor as the MSD directions say to. Engine now shuts off but I'm concerned about the amount of power it consumes when running. One side is about 5 ohms and the other is about 1.5. When running it's dissipating about 28 watts and it's pretty hot.

When I first connect the battery cable there's an arc so I put an ammeter inline with it. It will draw a few milliamps and then taper off to no current draw. There's probably some capacitance in the system taking a charge when first connecting the battery. I'm guessing the dual ballast resistor is probably being used to discharge that.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2019 at 7:21pm
May have a solution for keeping things under the hood.

If I swap the 1" throttle body spacer with a 1/4" that'll buy me another 3/4" of hood clearance and if I change the orientation of the upper radiator hose it creates a dip. I may be able to run the pressure side tube in that dip. The area between the throttle body and oil filler is now open for the inlet side of the supercharger. Hope to use the hood scoop to feed it.

401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2019 at 7:27am
Are you sure your set-up won't clear the hood? When I was installing the Vortech I thought it too would hit the hood but when I closed it and checked the clearance was fine. Did you check with the hood on? It may rise in the center more than you think.
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2019 at 1:41pm
Yeah, the hood is on and the cutout I had for the previous round air filter isn't big enough. This morning I took the supercharger hat off, cut the snout off and angled it downwards. Then took it to a local welding shop to put back on. This combined with a shorter throttle body spacer should get me the clearance I need.

-Steve-

Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2019 at 5:29pm
Rebel,  looks like your upper hose is on backwards which would explain that dip in the middle currently.    
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2019 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Have2SC's Have2SC's wrote:

Rebel,  looks like your upper hose is on backwards which would explain that dip in the middle currently.    

Yes, that's intentional to make room for the pressure side tubing. You can see the radiator side isn't actually attached, got a new one on order.

Today I removed the supercharger hat and cut it such that it tilts downward a bit. It's at a welding shop right now to be reattached. Also have a 3/8" throttle body spacer on order. Hopefully I'll have the new pieces Friday.

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic