TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 5:26pm
Engine ran the dyno today, very disappointing. We think the Holley Super Sniper system is keeping things well inside the safe zone. Since it's self-learning it may not be suitable for running on an engine dyno. We'll try mapping the fuel and timing curves and see if it can be dialed in.

-Steve-

crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 9:07pm
Keep your chin up. Dyno's have a way of hurting a guy. Maybe a carb for the base line pulls would be better. The cam you chose was that a special grind for EFI and boost? Going to be ditching the cross ram and go Torque storm and EFI. Have a 420 with Indy heads. So am very interested in your progress. Good luck...Jim
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 10:25pm
how much boost?
what's the afr?
any meth injection? do you have intake air temps?
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2019 at 6:53am
Boost ran up to 10 PSI. AFR average was 12.8. No meth injection. Don't have intake temp.

Timing was set to retard 1.5 degrees/LB of boost. We changed it to 1 degree and it started popping. Seems okay at 1.3 degrees.

Steve Morris Engines offers the Super Sniper with preloaded fuel maps. Wish I had got the system from them.

-Steve-
Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2019 at 2:04pm
Cant wait to see the numbers. I am thinking of a TS in combo with the new Edelbrock manifold and a Throttle body system on my Spirit. I emailed TS a week ago to inquire about fitment on a small car but have not heard back yet.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2019 at 5:18pm
Engine shop phoned Holley. Yesterday we ran idle then made pulls. Holley says that's the wrong thing to do with the Super Sniper EFI. Their advice was to make the first pull at 1/4 throttle, then another at 1/2 throttle and then 3/4 throttle. The system has to learn as though it were in a vehicle being driven. Without those part-throttle "learn" incidents it doesn't have a base to draw from for a full pull.

Will stop by tomorrow morning and see if they had any luck with it.

-Steve-
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Phitown Hustler Phitown Hustler wrote:

Cant wait to see the numbers. I am thinking of a TS in combo with the new Edelbrock manifold and a Throttle body system on my Spirit. I emailed TS a week ago to inquire about fitment on a small car but have not heard back yet.

sorry for the hijack, i emailed TS last night and got an email this morning about putting their unit in my concord. they asked for some pics as they have not put one of these in a small body car. 
Chris Beardsley
TorqStorm Superchargers 
616-706-5580

end hihjack

glad to hear holley has a plan for you to get this to work. let us know what happens. 
thx
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 5:19pm
The part-throttle pulls got everything squared away but life still is a series of disappointments. The numbers are in. Missed our 650 HP target by a ton.

It's still a good amount of power for 93 octane pump gasoline. Doubt it'll get the AMX in the 10s which has been the goal.

The RPM Air-Gap intake and possibly the Performer RPM heads just can't flow enough air to make our target numbers. Likely the intake more so than the heads. A single plane would work better for top end power. Eventually the supercharger can't cram enough fuel/air down the engine's throat. You can blow as hard as you want through a straw but eventually the flow will top out and pressure won't matter.

I'll run it as-is for now. Maybe at some point swap in an Indy single plane intake.

We'll see.

-Steve-

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 5:43pm
Hard to believe torque drops as RPM increases past 4000. Even below 5K, which makes me think something may have been overlooked.

Did you try a simple non boosted calibration to see how the engine is responding just with the FI system, even though your cam is set for a boosted application, you may see a broader upward torque curve before it falls. Not the very narrow and light peak.

Gosh, I expected 700hp for the build.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/12/2019 at 5:46pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Hard to believe torque drops as RPM increases past 4000. Even below 5K, which makes me think something may have been overlooked.

Did you try a simple non boosted calibration to see how the engine is responding just with the FI system, even though your cam is set for a boosted application, you may see a broader upward torque curve before it falls. Not the very narrow and light peak.

Gosh, I expected 700hp for the build.

No, didn't run it without boost. Once it's in the car and it gets more data it may improve some but probably not that much. We'll see.

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic