TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mega HVAC and Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by PABLO PABLO wrote:

Hi, 
It looks great. Fantastic job I´ll keep it on my long wish list. 
bye

Just so you know, I chose the larger sized radiator to allow for cooling as a daily driver with a performance built engine along with having A/C run with out over heating issues. Its rated max of 750HP, which is plenty enough for a 550+ hp build.

Outside of cutting the opening about 1.5" larger, most of the installation is fairly simple in setting up. The only bad side is you will need to adjust the mounting to the upper radiator support struts, since the radiator is wider and taller than stock.

There are key points in my information that can be used for any setup, so nobody really needs to copy the hardware that I chose, just understand some basics in allowing for optimal air flow through the system, especialy with the A/C condenser.

Farna has created a thread on using the Contour radiator fan assembly on stock radiators. Its one item that will help, that will not need much modification to fit and do its job very well.

Once I get around to setting up the mounting for the A/C system, i will show what can be done to help keep air flow from bypassing the condensor.

I still have my oem one, so a side by side comparison can be done, to show what additional changes can be added to stock to allow better A/C cooling.

If your planing on A/C and want to move into a more modern system, try and find a Sanden compressor bracket when ever you can to purchase. They are becoming difficul to find, and their price shows for it.

Thank you for the complements, and i hope the best for your build. Its been enjoyable seeing what you have done being so limited by resources in your location.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2019 at 6:12am
After a bit of fiddling about with my 2 different styles of upper radiator hoses, and adapting the clocking of my Sanden SD pump for ease of service without complications with hose routing... I searched online for images with Sanden service ports being clocked at 12'o clock, unfortunately I locked on to seeing compressors mounting perfectly horizontal from various other makes and a few york conversions.

So by fiddling around with the clocking with the compressors mounting, I compounded my confusion with changing the head orientation. Nothing can be done as the head is located with dowls. So the issue for clearance on my line and hose is by the factory clocking built into the mounting bracket.

So, for reference into mounting orientation and removal of the head for a head swap, I recommend this service guide. It also covers many details you may have questions about.

Here is the downloaded pdf.

SD_Service_Guide_Rev_2.pdf

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/07/2019 at 6:20am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 1:17pm
Hi, 
I have a long list of more urgent work to do, put is a think that I´ll think to do in the future. 
just to give the idea, in my car i did something easer to help with the coolling.
I put a electrical fan with a termostat and put a switch which i can operate from the interior to make it work when I want.
As I did a modification to the lower center housing to take out the ashtray and put an extra temp clock and a Amper meter. I put a switch next to the ligther with a check light over it. That way went i get in a traffic jam, or i going to stop for a wile I can put the fan on.

bye
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by PABLO PABLO wrote:

Hi, 
I have a long list of more urgent work to do, put is a think that I´ll think to do in the future. 
just to give the idea, in my car i did something easer to help with the coolling.
I put a electrical fan with a termostat and put a switch which i can operate from the interior to make it work when I want.
As I did a modification to the lower center housing to take out the ashtray and put an extra temp clock and a Amper meter. I put a switch next to the ligther with a check light over it. That way went i get in a traffic jam, or i going to stop for a wile I can put the fan on.

bye

Since Spain can be as hot as some of the US, both humid and dry, depending on location... I recommend a pusher fan that mounts in front of the condenser.

Also, make sure your radiator is clean and free from any clogs. Oddly enough my radiator had a re-core of 2 rows, when it should have been 3 rows. Something i did not expect when finding out what was original for all A/C cars.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 5:42am
Since I have been wanting to have my service ports set at the 12 'o clock position, I decided to create a mounting block to raise the dropped side on the AMC mounting bracket.

It will allow my raised top service ports to clear the oil fill tube and allow for my high pressure line to clear custom valve covers. Plus keep maintenence simple, as not needed to remove one thing to get to another.

This issue is only with the AMC Sanden compresser mounting bracket, so those with a custom York to Sanden bracket, your in the clear for ease of most any type of a custom setup.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/08/2019 at 5:44am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2019 at 8:30pm
Did not get too far, but just about to finalize my radiator install. Measured 14.5" from top mounting hole (Dodge OEM location) to the mounting pad I created by mounting a 2.5" wide plate to the lower radiator support. I bent and trimmed the side facing the radiator to a 90° angle support, so 3 sides to the bottom corner of the frame sections will support the bottom isolator, perpendicular with the side of the radiator.

The right hand side will not need a hole drilled at the bottom, to mount an angled bracket for the isolator, as the oem location is perfect.

This is only on the left side, as the right side has a different floor, since it does not have a sloped channel for radiator overflow spillage.

Decided to check my high pressure line fitment with the A/C condenser, and it looks and fits very well, as it is made for a modern import.

Will need to drill out a hole, a wee down from the upper radiator support near the battery location. Since the condenser is close to 30" wide from block connection to block connection. Centering places the high pressure line very close to the new hole staight to my Sanden SD 508, with the line having a 90° bend to fit the top mounted service port.

If I were not to use top mounted service ports, as in having a different head... i would be using some other line from what ever to fit the head's high pressure port.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 6:30am
NOTE... AS AN UPDATE, I WILL REDO THE MEGA CIRCUIT TO CLARIFY AN ADDITIONAL CHANGE. AS I DECIDED TO ISOLATE THE A/C FUNCTION FROM SLOW SPEED OPERATION. THERE MAY BE ADDITIONAL TWEAKS AS I AM STILL THINKING ABOUT HOW TO BETTER THE PWM MODULE INTEGRATION AND ADD AN ADDITIONAL FUSE, SINCE I AM MAKING THE CURCUIT AS ROBUST AS I CAN FOR GENERAL PERPOSE USE.

Since i let this thread go un updated for some time, i will update further with corrections and additions. I finalized my mega circuit, with an important detail that i skipped upon when initially started. Mostly because I had to revise it greatly for ease of layout readability, and had a few questions from members. For simplicity sake and better protection, i used fuses at the motors to isolate fault better, while still allowing limited cooling to still function, whithout full shut down. Also i had not updated the main circuit breaker to be separate circuits with 30A breakers. One for each fan segment. I had confused the breaker with a fuse initially as i had a lot of editing to do and focused on layout of function over the hook up of power distribution.

Found that the fans I selected have what seems to have a dual pwm start up function, for soft start power on for each fan. There was no info on the net, outside of buying a VW service manual, which may not give the module function table, as many point it is controlled by ECU and CAN bus.

After initial testing, it seems that the motor activation trigger inputs are voltage driven, using 9v to VCC (battery voltage). So for my use i will adjust my own circuit for how i connect the oem solid state motor drive circuit.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/29/2019 at 1:16pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2019 at 7:04am
I had to revise my general perpose super circuit, since i am trying to keep with continuity of the components I have initially started with and eleminated the use of factory a/c relay, as it requires some extra wiring. So the circuit is trimmed down for a simpler installation. Also i upped the values a wee bit, but expect changes for the types of fans used.

The changes to the circuit and additional info are now seen on the opening page to this thread.

As for the build I am setting up, seen in the circuit below, i intend on using the VW fan controller as it has soft start function, which does not require heavy wiring and larger values for fuses and breakers. Because the fans are super effecient allong with my cooling system, the main fan will be used only when engine temps are above 190°F. The A/C fan will be used as a main fan and as a separate, only when temps are below 190°F.

Its more effecient since the A/C fan runs at a lower current and should be easier on the charging system.

Here are the trouble shooting steps on repairing faults.

1) Check circuit breakers for any that have reset.

If the two circuit breakers that go to the fan control module reset, most likely the fan controller is bad or a compromised wire in the circuit.

If any of the other two circuit breakers have reset, check the relay and the wiring associated with the reset circuit breaker.

To test, leave the reset circuit breaker as is, and disconnect the device connected to the reset circuit breaker. Measure the continuity between terminal 85 and the others. If 0 ohms is measured, then the relay is bad.

The module should measure around 6k to 7k ohms between heat sink and the power and also the ground connections. Thus the heat sink cannot be grounded to chassis. It may be the cause to why the failure occurred.

If a fuse blew, most likely the issue is with the fan.

The delay circuit is robust enough to survive many set reset timer cycles as it was made for commercial alarm circuits. So if delay issue arrise, check by grounding both temp switch connectors for 1 second and remove the 210°F temp connector from ground. The fan should continue to operate until timer resets or when 180°F temp connector is removed from ground.

If A/C system fails to function, check trinary swich function, also verify power is available from A/C cluch feed to pin 4.

If farna is following... i kept from stating more than i have about the contour fans. Since i am not using them, and have had conflicting info to confuse me.

As an option to look at helping remedy the high current draw, one can use of a Ford Focus PWM fan motor controller. Search, Corvette Focus PWM controller... it should be a you tube video. It seems pretty simple enough and probably as cheap as my VW controller.

Here is a link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbFbSiabfI

One guy found that the contour fans can actually draw around 80A. Jaw dropped. But that is because of how they were wired up. Obviously they are a bit more robust than what i expected for their size.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/02/2019 at 11:46am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 5:48am
Here is a possible option for farna's Contour fan setup... since he had looked into my thread, which is not based on Contour fans, the principles are very similar.

I bumped the values enough for the max 80A current the motors could generate if wiring or faults happen within a given circuit.

Note... this circuit load balances the curren, by allowing one fan source to feed the other fan section, depending on mode of operation.

Like it or not, the a/c fan will be primary, and at high speed when A/C is in operation (clutch is active). When 180° F engine temp switch is active, low speed fan operation occurs.

When hot condition occurs, both fans operate at high speed. The A/C fan will not trip the 40A breakers, because the PWM module will supply enough current by trying to balance the load when both fans are required. Also the A/C should be spinning in normal operation, so when high speed kicks in, there is no current jump from hard starting.

One thing I did do differently is that the circuit now uses dual diodes in parallel for the bridge for high speed operation. Mostly to be overly robust for the high current motors used on the Contour fans.

Here is the optional Contour fan circuit, based on my super circui.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/02/2019 at 7:29am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2019 at 9:42am
Now back to my setup...

Having installed the fan assembly rotated 180°, so the fan connector is located on top for easy access, for removal and troubleshooting, if needed... I decided the huge connector and 4 connection wiring was a bit bulky and gets in the way. Being that I have changed how the fan controller is being mounted, and will function, it makes for the rewiring the harness much cleaner with 2 connection wiring through the harness.

Also i will need to cut out the pressure vent and mount it 180°, since the rubber vent flaps are slightly opened by gravity (the hinges are at the bottom now). The fan operation should suck them closed, but I rather make the vent function as designed for long term functionality.

Once I obtain a new set of connectors, wiring the grounds will be to the body, instead of adding lengths of wire to the control module or relays. When swapping out a possible bad motor control module, no fan override switch is required for my circuit, since the high current circuit breakers are enough to drive the motors, when the module is bypassed with direct connection to motors from the relay controls. A small pig tail connection adapter harness mounted to the body, so the power from the relays can plug directly into the the customized fan wiring harness at the shroud. Because of the easy swap out setup, connections along the fan power circuit are muliplied by 2. So far, I can't see any way the cooling fan system will fail completely, let alone be too much trouble for a quick fix.

My plan is to mount a manual reset circuit breaker / fuse box on side of the battery using a plastic battery enclosure (acid leakage protection) which fits around a group 24F battery, and the relays on the battery side of the radiator side support, which will greatly shorten the distance needed for the fan control relays and fan control module.

So anywho... small delays on the completion of wiring for now, and will be making a 2.5" offset bracket for the Sanden compresser, so it is mounted more upright, instead of one side, due to a dropped down to tilt the unit when mounted on the Jeep bracket.

Had a wee misshap with condensor mounting... the locating pins on the bottom had bent from shipping. Should have compaired measurement of their distance before installing the mounting tabs (I used the specs in the diagram). Made a few adjustments to the pins to correct. Need to find my 1-1/2" Uni-bit, that I thought I was done with using it, to finish the line pass-through for the passenger side, since the stock pass through is blocked by the large condenser.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/01/2019 at 4:46pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic