TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mega HVAC and Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mega HVAC and Cooling
    Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 7:12am
I will eventually get around to revising my fan circuit once more. After fiddling around with fan operation, the fan noise is almost the same between each other. So, I will set up the A/C fan to be switched on at A/C and over temp. A simple swaping of the connections is all that is needed to the circuit, for now.

Even though VW places the fuse current lower than Ford Contour fans, these blase air and draw a considerable amount of current when directly started from a stand still. The OEM VW soft start fan control modular really makes a difference.

Oddly enough, I wonder if the B body Dodge boys are interested, as the fan unit is a cheap and requires few light modification to fit, just i have gone a wee bonkers in not required mods.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2019 at 11:21am
Got the connectors done... though I am using OEM Honda or if one wants to use a metric 7.2mm equivelent terminal, this connector will work. I chose Honda, as i picked up an engine compartment fusebox a while back for repairs on our Honda. Note... these wires are for 50amp circuits, which are about double what each fan will ever pull. The main reason why I used them, is that terminals are high quality, and will work better than after market in the long run. You can pick up replacement pigtails from any auto manufacturer if you prefer.

The red rectangular water proof blocks are for separate fuses on each fan. This way the circuit is still functional even if a fan motor goes bad and shorts out.

Installed my cut out and rotated pressure relief vent. Once the glue dries, I will do the opposite side to fully seal the seam.

Will finish up wiring up the fan wiring to complete the fan assembly for installation and connection. Notice the ground wires are not in place... since I am using a 2 connection connector, and want to eliminate ground wires from inputs, i chose to make ground separate from the harness, to be directly connected at the upper support. Also i will be adding ground straps to the radiator since it is mounted on rubber isolators.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/03/2019 at 4:35pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2019 at 12:28pm
After locally sourcing aluminum tubing for A/C perposes, at advanceauto, the manager, who does buisiness with mom and pop shops, gave me info on a local shop owner that can create custom lines, very much like factory.

So, I will end up contacting the guy and see about having him crimp my #10 fittings for the low presure return line, and the single #8 fitting for the high pressure line.

From what I understand the guy can make up the hard lines in any style, but it seems simple enough to rebraze and create hard lines on my own.

I also looked into PAG oil. The Sanden compressor should be filled with 7 oz of PAG 100 or SP-20 (Sanden spec oil) to start with. Since I am at a larger capacity than stock, I estimate around 26 oz of refrigerant give or take an once. I will measure the capacity of my evaporator to calculate total volume to verify the amount of refrigerant required, as to make adjustment to PAG oil fill. 6 oz seems standard for oem usage for the Forester and others, but my drier and evaporator are larger, so the standard fill of 7 oz should fit for my needs. Note: Some compressors have 6 oz fill of PAG oil, so when doing your own A/C service be sure to verify the volume of oil within the compressor before its installation.

All this extra work, will make the cooling system efficient and help the running life of the compressor.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2019 at 8:40am
After another bout of rethinking block connector fittings and zero restrictions within the system, I have decided to clean up what is going on and why. Note... most of the details are from previous additions which are now removed, and recompiled for ease of understanding.

First the why... Due to the type of receiver and pressure switch combo I am using, I must make sure all #8 connections are true to form for proper function.

So far all block types and their hose fittings have some restrictions over their O-ring counter parts. I did not expect to have to go into forensic detail, on why such issues are as they are, but it seems tollarances are loosely made on some A/C block fitting manufacturing processes.

The oversized block that would not fit my condenser, from the Miata line, is about 1mm too big on its port OD, which seemed to be more than adequate for its factory intended use at the high side output, on the compressor. Though only 1/2 of the hole in the block was properly drilled, which pinched off the opening for full flow. I did a test by blowing through the hole and compared before and after redrilling. A noticable difference in free flowing pass-through. This would not have been seen unless one examines the hole once debrazing and removal of the tube from the block.

Another issue on the same block fitting, the tube end ID to the hose, was slightly smaller and would not pass a properly sized drill bit without force. I had to hand ream out the ID until the drill bit slid in and out with ease. So there was two issues on just a single block fitting, which was to be mounted to the compressor, and would allow more pressure internally within the compressor, than what may be read by a pressure switch further down in the system.

Some compressors have switches mounted at the output port, which are more accurate to the pressure within the compressor's operational specs.

As for the perfect block from the Elantra, it pinches under the hose and is unseen, until the hose is removed by cutting the crimp ferrule. Once the hose fitting us cut just before the reduced size, the flow is unrestricted.

As for the shorter end of the Elantra line, its restriction is at the O ring flare, which seems reduced by the process of creating the O ring nose at the end of the tube.

I assume the reasons for the restrictions on smaller hosed fittings are because most condensers have #8 input and #6 output, so the use of equivelent blocks are required. Just seems odd that the tube diameter is oversized for its fittings and hose type, which can throw off expections of capability by simple visual inspection.

As for the Elantra line... its fine and dandy, no issues with oem specs. Its just for my setup only, a mod must be done to replace the tube end to the hose for proper #8 size, since my setup requires #8 in, #8 out at the condenser.

On the Miata line, the block fitting seems out of spec for normal #8 fitting standards in flow capability, and must be inspected within the blocks port holes, and hose fitting ID at the end. While the #8 O-ring fitting end of the line is perfect, and does not need orfrice cleanup work done for any flow capability improvements.

To remedy my setup, I will attempt to modify the Miata block and its tube. I will remove the port end off the block and braze an #8 O-ring fitting end, and adding more angle, around a 90° bend. Since I have no lathe, its simpler to give brazing a try.

For the Elantra block fitting, I will braze a section of 1/2" ID aluminum tubing as a sleeve, over the removed bead lock section butted with a small section of 1/2" OD aluminum tubing. The other end of the 1/2" tubing will be brazed the same way to a #8 Male O-ring fitting for connection to the drier. Basically turning the block fitting into a hard line connection, for simplicity.

Added cost of $14.00 for the custom setup. If I had kept with the Range Rover receiver, or used an up stream pressure switch, this would not be much of an issue, as the restriction down stream would be part of the #8 to #6 conversion, before the drier, any way.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/30/2019 at 1:05pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2019 at 8:14am
Removed, due to consolidation to recent update.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/30/2019 at 8:42am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2019 at 11:38am
One small update...

After a wee playing around with the drier placement after my wee nudge with the hardline, i figured the small amount of angle did not make much difference to the fitting alignment between the condenser and drier.

So, i played around with the drier placement, after aligning the condenser side hard line fitting to keep from rubbing and creating an obstruction with body and bracketry. Basically looks as oem as one could do, considering how the over all fit without major modifications to route to the drier/receiver. Won't need a hold down clip, since there is enough clearance from any rubbing. The rubber hose section will fit under the arch of the front nose section of the frame easily. Almost as if the arch was made for clearance for such routing.

I tried lowering with a spacer bracket, and it looked a bit wonky, for trying to keep a short distance and direct angle alignment. After looking at using one of the existing battery plate holes for the I6 setup, i found it looking much better tucked up in the opening, even though it will be hidden from sight by the fender. Given that i had hoped to use the hole, for the bulk head pass through for the #6 line, into the engine bay, it made a few second thoughts as to modify for pass through.

Having the drier mounted high against the inner panel, allowed for a nicer curve with a longer hose between the fittings.

Now its a matter to how i will work around the loss of a pass through using a factory hole. Worst case is to follow the condenser hard line back to the front and pass through the factory hole.

Will have to get around to the removal of the bumper brackets and mount the driver side for a final check before finalizing my thoughts on any further adjustments, even though they may be wee.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2019 at 8:29am
Did try rebraizing the block fittings to allow some adjustment on the (long) output fitting to the drier, that will tuck along the corner of the frame and lower radiator support. It will also be partially behind the bumper bracket as it crosses under and around the frame. One can get by without need to adjust the tube near the braized end of condenser output block, by bending the tube near the bock fitting on the condenser. The tube is soft enough to make minor adjustment by hand.

Another reason why I chose this type of condenser, as it has enough pipe at the fittings to allow some light bending for adjustment. Others have fixed mounted bungs or blocks.

Being my first ever rebraize attempt with aluminum, I chose to remove the pipe from the Denso block fitting, which is too large of a diamter for fitment on the condenser. It worked out well enough for me to feel confident in adjusting the rotation of tube in the block. Did about 3°, and probably could have done 5°, but it was not critical to get too close in tucking the tube, as there is very little distance between the fitting ends for butting crimp ferrules, as i assume about 1/4" to 1/2" of hose will show.

I could use T-clamps for hydraulic lines, but many peeps think clamps on hydraulic lines are inferior. To me its an esthetics thing, and is far easier for maintenance when its time to replace a leaky hose. At 10x the cost compared to a crimp ferrule, cost on ones custom line is dictating reasons not reliability concern.

None the less my lines will conform to crimp standerds, even though I have T-clamps every where else.

On a side note... rebrazing small fittings like I have on a first time basis, requires some practice and patience. I failed in assuming one of the blocks for use on the input side of the condenser was braized to keep it at a fixed clock on the block. It was actually force fitted in place during assembly while creating the O-ring tube end. The aluminum seemed much easier to overheat and when trying to adjust the tube rotation in the hole, caused the tube to break apart. I know now not to try that again, and not to let any area that is not the braize to become a dull red. Only th braize should become a redish glow.

At this point a now have a couple of blocks to use in creating a custom block fitting, for the input block fitting on the condenser. So nothings lost, just a wee more work.

The A/C lines were about $14.00 each, which was a good deal for obtaining fittings, which was a wee gamble as for proper length of hose, let alone proper fitting blocks. Making it 50% workable on its own seems fair enough for the effort.

Will mess around with the two blocks to make my custom fitting... will end up sacraficing a fitting to braize with to complete the job.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 2:23pm
I finially found my misplaced specs sheet on the 2000 Forester A/C system, which helped in my selecting a proper condenser.

Note... Sanden SD508 is very similar to the oem Zexel unit used by Subaru. So matching the Subaru Forester condenser to the Sanden SD508 is not a problem, for peeps wondering if I am going too big on my design.

So far the only non matched component is the evaporator, though the drier has no effect on performance, just so happens the VW drier has a larger, volume, which may help with reserve flow.

Since the AMC evaporator is larger, theoretically the compressor should work less, as long as one takes the time and replaces the A/C expansion valve with a R134a compatible version.

Here is the hard to find specs sheet.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 8:19pm
Here are some images of what has been done so far with shroud mods, A/C line fitting placement and routing for drier / receiver.

First the drier... took VW approach on placing it in front of the wheel, and under a support. Mine is right under the I6 battery tray location, for ease of installation and replacement.

The line from the condenser just clears both the lower support at the nose of the frame... about 1/3" clearance. Can be tweaked and secured by a hold down.

The only big mod was to drill the mounting hole a wee over sized for the size of the fastener being used at the block.

I will try a go at reheating the block end, to melt the braze, and rotate the pipe about 3° to tuck it close to the lower edge of the frame, for adding a hold down strap to secure it nicely.

Looks pretty good when viewed up close as it is, plus there is no drilling required to bypass the body structure.

I cut out the pressure vent to the fan shroud for 180° rotation. Will need to make a sheet metal surround to mount the frame to the shround opening.

Here is the opening that I will mount the surround from inside to hold the pressure vent in place to seal with and secure it.

Here is where i removed the bulge for the power cables, and filled to seal. Will drill a larger hole at the depression at the corner, to use a grommet to feed the modified wiring connection through.

The rest is to show the 1/4" square, neoprene padding used to fill gaps along tank weld areas, seal, and noise surpress.

Still needs some areas reglued, as one area bulged out from being missed with the adhesive.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/22/2019 at 11:42am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2019 at 11:29am
Ok, I removed my last few updates... Because I never placed the two A/C lines side by side, and were purchased a month a part, I assumed the output line from the condenser was with #6 fittings, since its hose is smaller diameter than the input line from the compressor.

Until I removed the Denso block fitting from the high pressure line, I then checked the fittings on the line which had the smaller diameter hose. Low and behold the fittings pipe diameters are 1/2" on all.

Even though the hoses are Goodyear Galaxy and have a 13/32" ID, the hoses OD don't match. So, it looks like no mods needed for the condenser to use proper #8 fittings, just the Denso block fitting is unique to its use at the compressor.

I will use the best end to reperpose for a custom line to properly fit at the condenser without restriction or undersizing the line to make fit.

Oddly enough the smaller diameter hose may work for bends, but I rather replace with a proper hose that is thick to make all #8 lines to have the same look, and not befuddle me with looking like #6 lines. After all I will be using both lines at the receiver / drier, which will confuse one when looking down at it, as all the fitings are at the bottom.

Now that my head is clear from confusing smaller hoses are #6, I can work away with the original lines chosen at the begining of the thread.

Will update which end will be used to replace the Denso block fitting on the compressor high side line.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic