TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

best AMC for F.A.S.T./ Pure Stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by n2ojoe n2ojoe wrote:

From the pure stock homepage link I posted:

"For 1955 to 1975 musclecars built in United States and Canadian assembly plants with a minimum warranty of 12 months and 12,000 miles. Factory lightweight cars built for sanctioned drag racing and dealership-built/modified cars are not eligible to participate. Cars must be factory equipped with a minimum of four-barrel carburetion, dual exhaust, and other factory-installed equipment that promotes a high-performance intent and image."

Too bad they require a 4 barrel carb & duals. A stripped 72 304 auto Gremlin could be a lot of fun with a carefully built driveline. And look cool while doing it. It might not be the fastest, but it would get attention.
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 5:45pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 5:50pm
I would think "pure stock" would include all "group 19" options as this is factory and warranty approved. Reading the rules it looks like if it is a "factory approved" option, regardless of who installed it then you would be good.
If this is the case, I'd go for the 1970 Javelin 390 or 360.
I like the AMX but the Javelin gives a better off line start, personal preference.
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 6:51pm
No Group 19 parts are allowed. Also all parts must be year correct. No freeflow exhaust manifolds on a 19701971 and earlier auto cars must use a BW trans. You can do engine swaps. Joes Javelin was actually started life as a 6 cyl car, now sports a 401. Best recipe would be a built 994 trans, 6cyl drum front brakes, no sway bar, 6 cyl front springs, no a/c, column shift auto (lighter than console), 14" wheels (lighter than 15's) radio / heater delete.  Old racer trick, every 100 lbs is 1/10 th second off your ET.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 8:22pm
Unfortunately the curse of "Group 19" has followed AMC for 50 years in the homolgomation world! Group 19 loses out due to warranty issues, ie no warranty on cars so equipped, and also because of the dealer modified nature. Too bad because I could make a good case for it, based on the factory approved thing. I can understand why they did that, with things like Baldwin Motion cars being essentially built a la carte. There is not formula or standard for them so racers could do bloody near anything, but Group 19 did have a set parts list. Tough to know where to draw the line.

If they were allowed I would put my money on a 1970 AMX or Javelin with the 390, but hey, I might be biased! In all seriousness, the rules specifically state no "Dealership built or modified vehicles", which lets us out along with the Yenkos, Baldwin Motion cars, Grant Ramblers(would a 401 Gremlin not be fun!?) etc. 

I would think that the AMX would give better launches, slightly, due to shorter wheel base. Probably a 10th at best, but in racing that counts! 

Fun to think about!

Chris 
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 7:45am
I know that the feds would require manufacturers to submit each indivual version of each engine/transmission combination offered for emissions certification.

So they'd have to submit:
 a 49 state 304 3spd std
a 49 state 304 automatic
a California 304 3 spd std
a California 304 automatic
etc etc ect...

I think that's why very few "specials" like the Rebel Machine 390 were ever offered.

I think it was a question of resources like all AMC issues,
they couldn't rationalize a "special" aluminum intake, holley carb'd 390/401/427 with high port heads and high flow exhaust manifolds since it meant checking off all the boxes, going through all the procedures and red tape.

Easier to just label the AMX/SS's for competition only, no warrentee,
and for production cars just move the bigger car engines down to the smaller cars as-is,
like the Scrambler, and SC360.

It's awesome that AMC catered to that market at all,
but it's tough that the market was so small they couldn't justify sending a strictly performance engine through the system.

How nice would having a big cam, aluminum intake, holley carb 390 available from the factory in 1970 be for racers today?! Ouch

Oh well,
AMC did pretty good by me,
but the "what if's" will kill ya LOL

edit:
Thanks for posting thise pics N20Joe!
Wow they look awesome,
can only imagine how great they sound blasting down the line!

Edited by jpnjim - Oct/21/2018 at 7:50am
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 8:47am
I agree that AMC was a contender in the performance wars considering their late entry into the game. Back in the day when i was street racing, alot of guys underestimated my cars. FAST class is just too competitive for an AMC product to actually be a contender. The fastest cars are running 9 second et's. The Pure Stock Drags appear to me to be  more affordable and more evenly matched. The one downfall on the 1970 and up cars are the carb. You haveto run an Autolite 4bbl. You might be able to cheat a little and use a Ford SCJ Autolite QJet with the large secondaries. My current project 1970 AMX will have an R4B and freeflow exhaust manifolds so i cant run Pure Stock. I might have to drag my 73 Z code Jav out of the backyard and build that.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 9:29am
Originally posted by ADAM12MATADOR ADAM12MATADOR wrote:

. The one downfall on the 1970 and up cars are the carb. You haveto run an Autolite 4bbl. 

I never had an earlier AMC,
but I always thought the 70+ Ford 4bbl was superior in flow to the earlier Carter Carbs.

My favorite part of the Autolite was a Holley will bolt right in its spot LOL

But I have resisted the urge to swap on a Holley and used them in the past  a few times and I thought they were OK.

Were the earlier carbs able to support more HP?

Thanks
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 9:42am
jpnjim, I think the earlier Carters were 625 cfm on the 390 engine. The AMC Autolite 4300 is 605 cfm. I've learned quite a bit by spending time with a fuel/air meter on my car. The Autolites are very lean stock but can be setup to run well after some tuning.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 9:59am
I am partial to the Holley based carbs. The Edlebrock carbs might be legal for Pure Stock Drags since they are Carter based. The Ford Super Cobra Jets used a Q-Jet base Autolite spreadbore. You would need an adapter to put them on a square flange intake. They are hard to find but look stock and flow about 750 / 800 cfm. The Autolites are good but they lack alot of tuneability.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic