TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

best AMC for F.A.S.T./ Pure Stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 10:34am
Getting back to the original question, most of the pure stock racers I have talked to think the 70 AMX is the best platform. The wheel base promotes better weight transfer and less weight, the factory torque links on the rear axle, the newer front suspension, the functional ram air hood, optional 15" Machine wheels/E60 tires, and the high compression 390 are all reasons why. The log exhaust manifolds are a challenge. 
Per the rules, the tires could be stepped up to F60/15 for traction (though I still run E60 polyglas) and the stock 10.2:1 compression could be raised to 11.7:1 (I'm currently 10.8:1). I have fun with the 4 speed, but I definitely think an automatic is the way to go for consistent launches and the benefits from torque multiplication. 

Personally, I think Dan built his 71 Javelin right. He purposely choose the high compression 401 with free flows, bought the lightweight, base 6 cylinder car, and assembled the best combination of parts, maxed out to the rules. It looks great and runs very well.

Edited by n2ojoe - Oct/21/2018 at 1:42pm
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 11:12am
Your car is a beauty Joe, it was great seeing it and talking to you at GAD!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Your car is a beauty Joe, it was great seeing it and talking to you at GAD!

I take that as a huge compliment coming from you Tony, thanks man! I was great meeting you too and getting to see that awesome AMX of yours. Maybe we'll get you to bring it to the pure stock drags one of these years!
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 12:40pm
I saw Dan's Jav at MCACN last year, it is a sharp car.  Joe,what kind of 60ft do you get with your AMX?  I never had the chance to run my "70 AMX, 390 /auto at the track. My stock 69 AMX, 343 / auto went 14.50"s.  My 70 AMX 360 / auto only went 14.70's.  The 2 seat AMX is def a really good platform. How about a 67-69 American 2 door sedan with 343 ?
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 1:32pm
My car has been 1.88 60' a few times, but usually low to mid 1.9's.

I've never been to MCACN, but Rich almost had me talked into bringing the AMX this year (just not enough vacation time left). I'll try and catch a ride out to the show with the Ketchum's.

Edited by n2ojoe - Oct/21/2018 at 1:43pm
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 2:35pm
The SAE paper for the AMX 390 V-8 states 430 CFM for the Carter AFB but that's at 1.0" of Vacuum.
The "industry standard" for CFM of 4-Barrels carbs is 1.5" of Vacuum is it not ?
Hmmm... Guess it would be an early '71 high compression 401.... but still BW Trans...
so 4-Speed, like the sound of an early Rambler Rogue 343 4V 4-Speed... maybe... or SC/360...
Boy, not sure... interesting question...

Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 2:57pm
 When I started looking into having some fun and setting our 68 AMX up for the Pure Stock Drags (2004), NHRA stock blueprint specifications were the guidelines that the PSMCDR used. In running the numbers then, AMC back in the day was playing catchup on how to bambozzle the NHRA, when it came to compression. 68 was the worst year and the numbers got progressively better as the years went on, reaching the pinnacle in 1971. Off the top of my head, max compression would have been around 10.8 in 1968 for a 390, 11.2 in a 1969 390, 12.5 in a 1970 390, and 14.77 for a 1971 401.

I chose to do a 1968 AMX, because that's what I had to work with at the time and I wanted my son and I to begin having some fun. It's been a great ride ever since. we built ours to 10.6 compression.

Right around the time Dan Jensen was going to build his 1971 401 base Javelin, NHRA torpedoed the AM stock blueprint specs and the compression's dropped. 

PSMCDR organizers were getting ready to implement a change anyhow, to quell what was perceived as an unfair advantage towards other makes (not necessarily AMC). They came up with a new rule that all compression would be limited to a 1.5 compression point upgrade on top of advertised compression. that's the rule that stands today, so for instance our 68 AMX 390 with an advertised compression of 10.2 would now be allowed 11.7 max.

Back then and as it is now, for Pure Stock racing, the 1971 401 Javelin and 1970 AMX have the most potential, followed closely by the 71 SC/360 Hornet.

I think the 1972 401 Javelin with Chrysler trans has the most potential for FAST class racing as it has the best shortblock, heads, exhaust manifolds, and transmission to work with. How competitive could it be? Well it's not going to compete with the biggest boys, but you might nip the 10's if maxed out.

I'm very happy and proud of our chosen brand. They offer good stout reliable platforms. They are limited because of non uber hi-po optional offerings as some of the other makes offered, but that's OK. We've got between 350 and 400 passes on our AMX since we began racing in it 2006. When we started I was the driver and my son Trevor was 8. Since 2014 he's been the driver and I'm the pit crew. I could not have asked for more fun dollar for dollar as we've enjoyed over these years. It's far exceeded my expectations for fun and for making cool friends.

We sat out this year for the first time since 2006. My son now in college looked like he'd have conflicts with the race date and the cars overdue for a lot of little maintenance. Hoping to have her back in 2019.

Rich C.

Edited by Ram Air Rick - Oct/21/2018 at 3:02pm
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

The SAE paper for the AMX 390 V-8 states 430 CFM for the Carter AFB but that's at 1.0" of Vacuum.
The "industry standard" for CFM of 4-Barrels carbs is 1.5" of Vacuum is it not ?
Hmmm... Guess it would be an early '71 high compression 401.... but still BW Trans...
so 4-Speed, like the sound of an early Rambler Rogue 343 4V 4-Speed... maybe... or SC/360...
Boy, not sure... interesting question...

The more accepted figure for the Carter AFB's that the 390 would have had in 1968/69 is 585 cfm, from what I've read and been able to gather, using the 1.5' Hg standard.

The Autolite 4300's used on the 70-74 AMC 360/390/401 are 605 cfm.

n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 3:46pm
Thanks for the correction on the Carters Rich, I was hoping you'd join in. 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 4:10pm
I have done a fair bit of research into the whole Group 19 thing and it is interesting and a definite case of AMC trying creatively to make up for their lack of resources. Unfortunately they missed the mark, with the program neither widely used nor being legal for most racing. 

You know, the mention above of the SAE papers made me think of something. I wonder if they would be a basis for a challenge to the rules for Pure Stock? The SAE papers includes almost every Group 19 piece with part numbers, listed as "service parts". The other thing is that I suspect that what they were trying to avoid with the "no dealer modified vehicles" is things like Baldwin Motion cars, Dana, Tasca Ford, etc. Those were specific dealerships serving a limited sales network or area and not supported by the factory. Furthermore there was no standard on the cars as to what was installed, so they would become a free for all. AMC listed the parts as options and they were specific parts available at any dealership, promoted by the factory. Biggest hurdle might be the need for a warranty. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic