TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

STR-11 Crossram ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STR-11 Crossram ?
    Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 7:30pm
I Have an original part numbered AM 4486228 68-69  STR-11 Crossram . I know it is original as I've been running it since the early 80's. Dennis might be able to ask someone , but I think I have a very early top
casting. No STR 11 cast into it by the front Edelbrock. Also on my intake see pic below, the area by the accelerator pump arm has no clearance cast into top for both carbs, as all the other intakes I've seen have . The bolt under the drivers side front float bowl is counter bored and not cast open like the newer ones.
I Don't think I've seen another top like mine.  Has anybody else ?
Also don't have the post count to post in the Ebay section , but the Canadian intake is also cracked by the driver side carb, rear inside stud.  I have a crack in the same spot.

Bob 

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 10:05pm
I know that some of the early Group 19 parts, especially the ones that would be homolgamation parts for racing, did not have the manufacturer's name or part numbers on them. Apparently AMC thought that was important for homolgamation because of a mis-understanding of the rules. 

I hope that helps!

Chris 
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 10:28am
Is yours different than this one??

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
bwamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 11:28am
Dennis,
Yes, Look at the 1st picture under the accelerator pump.  it seems they added clearance for the arm of the accelerator pump and recessed it deeper for the bolt also on the driver side. Possibly to clear a 50 CC Pump arm ? 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 12:10pm
Speaking of CrossRam Intakes...
The Menance, if I may, I have an inquiry for Edelbrock...
Question:
Can the Edelbrock AMC CrossRam Intake Manifold be made
with a "Rear Central D/S Carb Bellcrank Relief Pocket"
to accommodate the Driver's Side Carb facing "backwards"
like on the SBC GM & Offenhauser CrossRam Manifolds
which may provide "more symmetrical mixture distribution"
and "compact" central location of Linkages & Fuel Lines ?
Was or is there a reason Edelbrock did not on the AMC CrossRam ?

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/15/2018 at 12:21pm
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Speaking of CrossRam Intakes...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Menance, if I may, I have an inquiry for Edelbrock...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Question:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can the Edelbrock AMC CrossRam Intake Manifold be made
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">with a "Rear Central D/S Carb Bellcrank Relief Pocket"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">to accommodate the Driver's Side Carb facing "backwards"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">like on the SBC GM & Offenhauser CrossRam Manifolds
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">which may provide "more symmetrical mixture distribution"
<font size="2" style="">and "compact" central location of Linkages & Fuel Lines <font size="3" style="">?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Was or is there a reason Edelbrock did not on the AMC CrossRam ?

<span style="font-size: 12px;"></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;">
</span>

It could have been made that way back in the day if that had been proven to be a better design or if that was what AMC or the race teams back then had asked for. One of the guy's who could probably answer that question retired from Edelbrock earlier this year, and the other person (Vic Edelbrock) passed away in 2017.     

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Gary Gray AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Gray AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2022 at 8:34am
Does anyone know how many of the original & how many reproductions where made of the STR-11.
I have one which I believe is a 2nd gen model.
thanks
Gary
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2022 at 9:27am
I recall hearing back in the late 80's, probably from Larry Mitchell, that they made about 300 of the early and 300 of the late versions. 

Chris
Gary Gray AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Gray AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2023 at 9:47am
Chris,
Thanks for the info - I've been asked a tousand times and never had a good answer. This is at least close if not right on.
Gary
Gary
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2023 at 10:50am
Please take it for what it is, the fallible recollections(mine!) of an offhand comment from Larry Mitchell. Larry is by far the more reliable, but he never cited any source for his information. All that being said, being AMC'ers sometimes this is all we have! 

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic