TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Champion AMC 2 row radiator question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Champion AMC 2 row radiator question
    Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 5:14am
I am about to pull the trigger on one.

Though I have mixed info and need help from peeps with the 2 row design, not the 3 row.

I am not knocking a good product, just getting down to the nitty gritty.

Has anyone confirmed that the 2 row has 3/4" or 1" tubes???

From what I gather they are not 1", so it seems a 3 row would be equal to 2 row, just It would be more restricted by air flow.

There are some other performance radiators that are an honest 1" tube, which will provide better cooling over what I assume many budget oriented radiators offer.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 9:03am
Why not give them a call?

Tom
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 10:32am
OK, I thought since many who have looked into Champion Aluminum radiators, had verified before making a decision, and may know off hand.

I did get info, yes AMC 2 row radiators are 3/4" tube. But not all Champion 2 row radiators are 3/4" tube, some are 1" tube. Though they are for various makes and models.

So, I will look further on my quest, hopefully I will find a reasonable option and post later.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 12:30pm
Well after weeding through... American Eagle is the better option. Look for this part number (AE407) on you Champion Radiator order. It will have the 1" tubes, which are better than 3 row core design. While the standard 2 core from Champion has 3/4" tubes and is no better than their 3 core version.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
rell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 5:13pm
I am also interested in the AE407 but the website says it is out of stock. I called and asked when or if it would be back in stock and was told it was out in February. He said he would check with his boss and get back to me but he didn't think it is available any longer. I will let you know when I hear back.

Chris
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by rell rell wrote:

I am also interested in the AE407 but the website says it is out of stock. I called and asked when or if it would be back in stock and was told it was out in February. He said he would check with his boss and get back to me but he didn't think it is available any longer. I will let you know when I hear back.

Chris

I posted in the AMC general discussion area, about another option which I am greatly interested in.

Also there is other options given by Mopar_guy which are a bit better built and for some serious HP generating engines, as they are even larger tubes, at 1.24".

So any who... I won't be ordering the AMC specific radiators by Eagle.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 12:21pm
For what it's worth, I'm using a 2 row aluminum radiator that I got from US Radiator. Fits like a glove and no issues with overheating, even here in the warm central Florida climate.  Price was right, too! Hope this info is helpful.
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by bobsterfl bobsterfl wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm using a 2 row aluminum radiator that I got from US Radiator. Fits like a glove and no issues with overheating, even here in the warm central Florida climate.  Price was right, too! Hope this info is helpful.

Well, this came about as a simple question, and ended up being a bit of a learning experience.

Many have stated Champion radiator, maybe a bit loosely, but there are are various build styles for usage  requirements.

Luckily a Champion 2 core which has 3/4" tubes will outperform a stock AMC radiator used with stock engines.  Though, it may not be any better than a 3 core design.

Though the Champion / Eagle version which I gave reference to, will work with performance modified engines up to 550HP, as the tubes are 1" and will out perform a 3 row design.

MOPAR_Guy's referenced radiators are for high performance engines up to 750HP, as they have 1-1/4" tubes.

I will be going with the  68-74 B body 383/440 radiator as it will fit with a minor addition of brackets. Which will allow factory transmission lines to fit like stock, and allow for coolant expansion overflow to exit at the proper location.  Yes it is larger, and requires a larger fan shroud, but it will handle 650HP engines well, even though it has 1" tubes.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic