TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shadow Mask

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shadow Mask
    Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 11:48pm
The ‘70 Shadow Mask was a unique option for the AMX. AMC used a 3/8 wide matalic silver tape (I believe) to separate the flat black mask from the primary body color.   What I haven’t been able to discern is how far the shadow mask flat black paint ‘lipped’ over the top of the front fender and door molding edge.

Pictures look to show approximately 1/4” over the lip of the top of the fender .   Are there pictures out there to show this detail?

In addition, where the door jams also trimmed with the shadow mask flat black? I’ve seen pictures both ways.
Greg E.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 1:45pm
I cant answer everything, maybe only cause more confusion. The shadow mask did not lip over onto the fenders. The entire engine compartment was the same black as the top of the car. not sure how far it went down the fire wall before it stopped. I think the mask followed the same lines on to the jam and door if that makes sense. At least thats how it is on my shadow mask car. But its been repainted a long time ago may not be correct.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 5:32pm
Roger, would you post a pix of your fender body line? Thx
Greg E.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 7:20pm
This is the only picture I have right now, car is in storage several hours away. I think the silver stripe runs right along the body line.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 7:37pm
Its about a 1/4 inch overlap. This is an original paint Shadow mask.

70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 7:38pm
Door jam picture.

70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 8:00pm
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 11:21am
James - good pix, detail of paint. They definitely show just how thick the shadow mask sprayout was put on.

Thx. Greg
Greg E.
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:13pm
Your welcome Greg. Let me know if I can help you with any more reference photos.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 5:06am
So the entire engine compartment was flat black also, correct?  Was there a sharp break on the firewall (masked off line), or was it just overspray?  I'm assuming that the floor was body color.

Was the inner fenders painted body color, or was the front of the car painted black before the fenders were installed?

I've also seen people refer to this as 'Matte', 'Flat', and 'Satin'. Is there a better description, like 30% gloss black that would translate to the paint shop?

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic