TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Water temp gauge location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water temp gauge location
    Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 5:11pm
After a bit of reading, I'm wondering where I should connect the water temp gauge sensor. I have wired an electric fan to the temp sensor on the intake, and I planned to wire the gauge to the thermostat housing, but a previous topic said it was bad since it wont read anything until the thermostat opens up, but I figure I'd rather the gauge be there and tell me when it gets hot and be off when it's cold, rather than the fan be there and not turn on soon enough since the thermostat wouldnt be open. Am I correct in this or should the fan go to the T-stat and gauge to the intake?
1973 AMC Javelin AMX, 360 727
1970 Mercury Cougar, 351C AOD
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 7:50pm
The correct answer is " fan go to the T-stat and gauge to the intake". The fan shouldn't run until after the thermostat has opened. I have mine like that and it works perfect. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CoffinMaster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 8:17pm
Okay, and just wondering, wouldnt that put it st risk of not starting the fan if the t-stat was stuck? Or is the position before the gate inside the t-stat?

Edited by CoffinMaster - Oct/10/2018 at 8:20pm
1973 AMC Javelin AMX, 360 727
1970 Mercury Cougar, 351C AOD
RTTComanche17 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTTComanche17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 12:37pm
If the thermostat is stuck open, the engine would never get hot (if moving) and you wouldn't need the fan.

If the thermostat is stuck open, the engine may get hot (if stopped) and the fan should come on when the whole system reaches your fan switch temp.

If the thermostat is stuck closed, there will never be hot coolant in the radiator, thus no need for a fan. The fan can't move enough air to externally cool an engine block.

Gage in the intake, fan switch in the t-stat housing.
1967 Rambler American #1 - junkyard rescue parts car
1967 Rambler American #2 - project car, but it runs!...for now...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic