TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help with Cam selection (again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 9:56pm
Thanks for the suggestions. 

I filled out online forms for both Howards and Bullet so we will see what they have to say.
You can have my Hurst shifter when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Since it is a "Hobby Car" not a "daily driver" may want to consider using a Mechanical Solid Lifter Cam.

I'm not very familiar with solid lifter cams (or any type of cam for that matter...) but I thought they are better for higher RPM ranges.  Why do you think it would be good in my application?

Thanks,
Jack
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 10:58am
There are many choices so it's just an opinion, to get the "definitely not stock" idle sound,
use a solid lifter cam that is for higher rpms and will get "the sound"
and it will also run at higher rpms if and when it is decided to do so, just an opinion...
Yes lash needs checked and adjusted occasionally with Mechanical cams, but with
a "hobby car" that is less frequent since they get "few" miles put on them, relatively.
My car was a street car hobby car, it had a cam for rpms beyond 5500, spec was maybe 6500,
and I really like that when I did go to make 1/4 mile passes, it pulled through the traps in "D"
and it did not bother me at all otherwise while street driving.
Then "freshened" the engine, changed cam to a "smaller" lower rpm cam
and afterward it was very aggravating the few times I went to the track
and it fell on it's face at 5200.... and no real difference with normal street driving...
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 1:00pm
It would be cool if there was a sticky thread where people could put 10 second videos of their idle and which cam they had in their set up, brief build info, etc. To more fully contribute to this question, I would say to call Mike Jones and see if he can grind something to your liking.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 1:33pm
My burnout video with the link in my signature block is with the "smaller" lower RPM cam,
an Elgin Super Stock E1041P , specs were: 218 deg dur at .050", 2,000 to 4,800 RPM Range.
The old cam, hydraulic, I have no video of sadly, and it sounded a lot "cooler" and it had
227 / 246 deg dur at .050", .512" / .529" at Valve... and was a lot more fun, to me anyways...
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 2:38pm
Main reasons I like a mechanical lifter cam for a seldom-driven street car:
- no lifter bleed down, so no start-up rattle (other than the soft clickity-clack with standard lash
- can run a more aggressive cam since seat duration is less as valve doesn't start to move until it takes up lash
- may have better metering of oil to top end (depending on lifter)
- better higher rpm lifter stability 
- sounds cool

... but not sure who's making good solid flat tappets or solid rollers these days and not many off-the-shelf cams?

Hope this helps,RD
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 9:35am
Heard back from Howards and Bullet.  Here is what they are suggesting in a custom cam:

Howards:

.523/.520 valve lift

225/235 @ .050

279/289 advertised duration

112 lobe separation

108 intake centerline

Bullet:
Intake 
236 @.050
.350” lobe lift, .560” with 1.6 rocker
283 duration @.006”

Exhaust
244 @.050
.350” lobe lift, .560” with 1.6 rocker
294 duration @.006”

112 lobe separation 
108 intake centerline

IO 10
IC 46
EO 58
EC  6

Anyone have any thoughts on those recommendations?

Thanks.

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 11:20am
My first thoughts are what is the projected RPM range of these profiles?
A total guess would be 2000+ to 5800+ and you will not have much low end street torque.

Of the 2 the Howards looks more streetable.
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 11:21am
Those sound like pretty big cams for low to mid range power, which is what you said you were looking for. Did they say where the peak HP would be? I'd guess around 6K if those .050 numbers aren't exaggerated for appearance purposes. But heck, if you have a four-speed and gears, you can always rev the thing up at low speeds and scorch the tires that way, especially with a lighter car. Whichever way you go, I'm sure you're going to end up grinning like a righteous idiot every time you touch the gas pedal!
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 11:42am
They seemed like pretty big cams to me as well compared to what I've been looking at.  I gave them the exact specs listed in my original post and noted that I wanted low to mid RPM power.  I think my build specs probably lean more toward high RPM use so maybe they were just trying to optimize that.

I'm going to reply to them and ask what RPM range they are targeting.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic