TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help with Cam selection (again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Cam selection (again)
    Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 12:53am
Thought I would revisit my cam search in a new post.  Thanks to everyone who responded to my last one.  I have a bit more info this time around so maybe it will help narrowing my cam choice down.

Engine is a 72 360 bored .030" over.  
Wiseco PTS539A3 flat top pistons.
SCAT forged H-beam rods with 5.885 length
New main & rod bearings
New double roller timing set
Heads have been reworked with new seals, guides, and springs rated to .600 lift.
Have a Torker SP manifold currently but planning to go to the Performer DP
750 cfm carb 
Planning on headers, glass packs, and 2.5" pipes all the way back
Going to port the heads once I get the new intake
Electronic ignition (probably)
Planning on new hydraulic lifters, push rods, ARP studs, and 1.6 rollers
Have a functional cowl induction hood but no breather at this point
B/W 4 spd (V-code T-10 with 2.2 first and AMC 20 diff with 3.54 positrac)

The Diamond Racing CR Calculator is showing 10.26:1 Static CR with 8.3:1 Dynamic.

This car is going to mostly be a weekend cruiser and realistically will not see a track very often.  So, looking for a cam that gives low to mid level power and still sounds great at idle--don't want it to rattle my teeth out, but want everyone to know it is definitely not stock.

I like the Lunati cams which take advantage of the AMC lifter diameter and kind of leaning toward the 703.  Although the Edelbrock 7132 looks pretty good as well.  Lunati recommended the 704 (probably because of the CR) but it has .569 exhaust lift and I don't know if I have clearance for that.  Also, concerned about vacuum.

I hope to have the pistons in next week and will check my clearance before ordering any cam, but need to make a decision soon.  Does anyone have the Lunati 703 or 704 or the EB 7172 in a set-up similar to mine.  If so, what do you think?  

Thanks.

You can have my Hurst shifter when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 12:23pm
Also, has anyone used the Howard Cam # 311451-08?  

Looks like they also optimize their cams based on the wider AMC lifter diameters.

Jason1180 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason1180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 5:54pm
Call Bullet cams and get a custom grind.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 9:30pm
With the 3.54 you will be wanting the low end torque for the street and your build is sound for higher RPM's so the Lunati 703 would be good but have a look at the 702 also.
I don't have your build and not an expert, but from what you are stating the goals are, the 702 would take more advantage of the fuel/air supply you have and give you the tone/street performance your looking for also.
Just my opinion.
I would don't know enough detail to provide a manufacturer information for a custom grind myself. Just going by advertised specifications.
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2018 at 11:28pm
So how does the "custom grind" thing work?  

Do I need to tell them what duration/LSA/lift I want?  Or, do I just tell them the parameters I am shooting for and they will figure out what I need?

Sorry if that is a stupid question--I've never ordered a custom cam before.  I'm having trouble just picking one out of a catalog, so I know I wouldn't feel confident telling someone how to grind one.

Thanks.
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 9:47am
Bullet is the only way to go!!!! They are very smart towards our line of engines. I got a custom grind in less than two weeks. Awesome cam.
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 9:48am
My Hornet with a 365 inch engine does the 1/4 in 11:30,s. Love that cam.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 10:00am
The cam company will come up with the specific grind details.

They will want to know about your car and engine build. Most of the information needed is in your first post. Car weight and rear tire diameter will also be important details.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 11:03am
Most really mean a "custom order" cam when they say a "custom grind".   The cam manufacturer picks from their library of lobes to suit your engine build, drivetrain specs, car weight, application and desired cam type (hydraulic flat tappet, mechanical flat tappet, hydraulic roller, mechanical roller).   It usually helps if you have a pretty good idea of the basic cam specs you want. Many go this route when an off-the-shelf cam doesn't exist for their application - similar to getting a tailored suit when off-the-rack doesn't fit.

A "custom grind" would typically be a one-off special lobe profile for an all-out race application or a new lobe profile for an odd combination where existing lobe profiles don't work.   Crane used to list pricing in their catalogues for custom-grind development work - a bunch more than a custom order.

Hope this helps,RD
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 11:27am
Since it is a "Hobby Car" not a "daily driver" may want to consider using a Mechanical Solid Lifter Cam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic