TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aussie Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 9:58pm
Final touches on the cold air induction:

Should be all good to test it out at the Nostalgia Drags at the local track next weekend.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2019 at 10:53pm
this is a really cool thread i appreciate you sharing your journey and the lag your seeing from stall to it accelerating is because you need closer to a 5100rpm converter it should flash about 1000-900 rpm below your shift point with a 3 speed( for a drag car). i really like your cowl induction and the homemade slapper bars maybe it was mentioned but what rear axle and gears and if its amc 20 still have you put good axles in it? also i would try 38-39 degrees of total timing if your running over 100 octane that seems to be the sweet spot on amc engines and use the lighest advance springs possible or better lock it out and put a start retard on it.  still really cool the holley sniper unit is tempting i like that data logs thats pretty useful in a race car on its own.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 1:36am
AMC20 with 4.10 gears, Truetrac and Moser axles.

Converter sort of fell in my lap at a bargain basement price, probably something I will need to revisit in the future.

I do need to play with the timing some more,I’m  just running pump gas, which I believe is equivalent to US 93 octane.

Drag shocks for the front are also in the post at the moment. 
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Final touches on the cold air induction:

Should be all good to test it out at the Nostalgia Drags at the local track next weekend.
Looks awesome. Can't wait to hear the results of your next race.

Tom
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 8:56pm
Raced yesterday and it seems that I have achieved something with a new PB, so close to an 11 now:

Looking across a few runs, I'd say it's picked up two tenths and about 1 mph from last time out.

Temperature data is a little interesting though, given that it was a day meeting, rather than the usual night meeting and averaging the numbers. Last time out (night meet) the ambient air temperature from the track weather station was 69 F, manifold air temperature 137 F, so it was  a 68 degree difference. Today the ambient air temperature from the track weather station was 88 F, manifold air temperature 128 F, that is a 40 degree difference.

Seems that I have definitely reduced the difference between ambient and MAT, but given that today was hotter, the cooler air entering the engine was not that much cooler than the previous event, so I'm not sure that the cold air intake can account for the improved performance.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2019 at 8:09am
Oh wow! That's fantastic Darren! That cold air intake really helped a lot! Congrats.
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2019 at 11:28am
congrats.......pretty cool...what is your track elevation???....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2019 at 3:58pm
The track is about 100' above sea level, density altitude at the weekend was around 2000', which is actually quite high for the venue, I have seen D/A down at -600' on one occasion. 

Will be interesting to see if it picks up a fraction on a more typical Wednesday night meet.
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2019 at 4:01pm
sweet....it should pick up  little cooler temps.......the track here is 2700Ft...Summer time DA can be 5000ft plus....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2019 at 4:30pm
Perth Motorplex ?

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jan/29/2019 at 5:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>
  Share Topic