TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strange Sucking Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 8:54pm
Check your muffler, any rusted out holes will cause like sound. Especially in pipe bends where condensation and mud/ road build up will settle over time. A hidden rust hole out of view will need touchy feely or mirror checked.

I have a bad muffler that eventually will be replaced, it's seems are expanded and rusting away.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
ghcoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghcoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 9:04pm
New pipe and muffler last spring. No difference...
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 8:44am
Try the old trick with an index card.  Bring it up slowly to the end of the exhaust pipe with the engine at idle.  If you are sucking at times, the card will move towards the pipe.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 9:21am
I'd run a compression or leakdown test & see what result you get.
AMC Okie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 10:28am
Smog pump and connections??
69 "GO PACK AMX"
73 Javelin 43,000 mile,origanl SURVIVOR
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2004 Dodge 1500 Rumble Bee
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
ghcoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghcoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 10:56am
No smog.

I have done a vacuum test and when it makes the sound the needle does move up and down with the sound. Going by the books it says it is a valve issue. But, that being said as the sound goes away the needle becomes steady.

Doing a compression test I found that 5 and 6 cylinders have low compression. 125 on all other cylinders 80 and 70 on 5 and 6. Did a wet test and compression came up to 125. This means rings going by the books.

There is a noticeable miss until engine starts to warm up then nothing.

No excessive oil consumption. Number 6 plug shows some fuel fouling all others look good. New wires, plugs, cap, rotor, HEI conversion. Still the same issue.

Thanks for all your guys help

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 11:28am
Does it have a CTO valve (or two) controlling vacuum relative to temperature?   Maybe low temperature circuit is leaking? 
ghcoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghcoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Does it have a CTO valve (or two) controlling vacuum relative to temperature?   Maybe low temperature circuit is leaking? 

Nope, all that has been deleted.

I guess I will just continue to drive it and see what happens. Seems like it should be simple. When I figure it out I will report back. Thanks all.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 1:10pm
I have a funny feeling you have a couple of slightly bent or burnt valves. It can allow oil to be sucked into the combustion chamber and darken your plugs, along with loss of compression.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 8:08pm
When was the PCV valve/hose last replaced and the condition of the oil filler cap/hose?
Also that pesky metal tube running from the choke to the intake. They have a habit of rotting off right at the plate going into the intake and inside the intake. If you still have this. This will make an odd air noise that's hard to "see" because everything still looks to be in place. 

Edited by Trader - Sep/30/2018 at 8:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic