TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The Eagle has landed (In my wallet)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Eagle has landed (In my wallet)
    Posted: May/22/2020 at 4:28pm
I've truly enjoyed reading all you have done on this car, but in your latest installment, this comment caught my attention:

"Since I had both the drivers side doors off for body work, hinge rebuilding, as well as complete refurbishment of all their innards, I cleaned, sanded and painted the door jambs, It's amazing the number of HEAVY runs that were in the original factory paint. Whats interesting is that the entire drivers side paint has runs, while the passenger side does not."

The 80 Concord that I had for the last few years, when I was going through the doors I did much the same as you - freshened up the A and B pillars, door latch areas, etc., and noticed the exact same thing - ridiculous amounts of runs, drips and sags on the driver side, and very well laid paint on the passenger side, with nary and run or drip anywhere.  After watching a Kenosha paint shop video on youtube, it appears that while there were automatic guns that handled the roof and exteriors of the doors, it was 2 separate people who handled the the door jambs, underhood, etc,. It looks like both your car and mine had the same 2 people - 1 knew how to lay paint, and 1 either didn't care, or had little training!
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2020 at 2:22pm
I put the whole drivetrain minus rear driveshaft and differential in as a package. The front differential was pre-hung, both cross members in place, front driveshaft was in place and like you, the front half of the exhaust was already in place. Took minutes and I literally did it with my left arm in a sling. 
I wheeled the drivetrain under the car, lowered the car onto stands, then used my gantry crane to lift the engine up a bit and the transmission jack under the transmission to raise that end up, put the bolts and nuts in the cross members and it was in. SOOO easy to get the front differential and front exhaust pipes in that way and even most of the accessories already on the engine. Didn't have to mess with bell housing bolts, lining up a clutch disk and input shaft and so on. And these aren't fun putting transmission AND transfer case in otherwise. 
And this way you have those braces, unique to Eagle, that go between transmission and bell housing and further forward already in place, too. 
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2020 at 1:34pm
Well I haven't posted any updates for I while, but that doesn't mean that nothing has happened to this project, quite the contrary. The rust repair work to the "frame" on both sides has been completed, as well as the inner rocker panel on the passenger side and all internal cavities have been liberally dosed with Eastwood's internal frame coating. Here are some pictures pertaining to other work, and to catch up with where I am at presently.

Here is a picture after I painted the engine compartment, and started installing all the bits and pieces that belong there. After I had it painted, it was evident that the formula that was used resulted in a color that was too red, so after much tweaking I now have a color that is very close to the original color "Russet". I only repainted the uppermost areas of the engine compartment along with the hood hinges, so the car will have a subtle 2 tone engine compartment

Since I had both the drivers side doors off for body work, hinge rebuilding, as well as complete refurbishment of all their innards, I cleaned, sanded and painted the door jambs, It's amazing the number of HEAVY runs that were in the original factory paint. Whats interesting is that the entire drivers side paint has runs, while the passenger side does not.

The engine and transmission have both been rebuilt, and each received some loving that will make them a grade above what they were when the car rolled out of Kenosha 40 years ago. Here is the assembly with all its bits and pieces bolted on ready for installation.

Just like I did on my Ambassador, and so many others have done, I installed the power-train package from the bottom which is definitely the way to do it

Here is the engine all installed, and I am test fitting new A/C lines and such. For those with a sharp eye, you may have noticed that I used the BBD carb for the initial fire up and timing of the engine, but have since switched over to a Holley Sniper BBD along with an in-tank pump, and I am looking forward to convenience of Fuel injection.

Lastly, here is a picture of the exhaust system, which is a mash up of new, reused and fabricated parts and pieces that turned out much better that expected. If there is any interest, I can post further pictures and updates, and if not, I will just post a few pictures of it when it is complete, hopefully before the weather gets cold!
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 9:12am
I sorted through my bin of hinge parts and they are laying on top so can get my hands on them easily. 
Maybe I'll have some more stuff off the Concord wagon by then, too. 
Trying to go through things to get the SX4 ready for AMO. 

I'd much rather been at GAD than here at home with the constant flooding and storms. We gave away our pool and the fellow got most of the deck down this week - but it was up to us to deal with the posts in the ground. I sunk them over 40" in the ground with a couple bags of concrete around each one. Using a chain and my handyman jack to pull them out I have to set 4x4s under the jack to keep it from sinking and when I get each post out - the hole quickly fills to within inches of the top with water. If you walk in our yard your feet WILL get soaked. And that's a couple days with no rain.

Anyway, nice progress on the wagon there. People may not know, think about it, or have forgotten, whatever, that some of the strength is in numbers, as they say. So lapping two panels and spot welding them together is stronger. The floor panels on these cars overlap INCHES - it's a lot. To just bind two sheets together would taken only an inch at most, but there's two or three inches of overlap in many areas with rows of spot welds. Adds strength.
But it also adds places for rust. The floors in these cars typically rust at the OVERLAP, not in the middle. The last Eagle floor I worked on was spotless, perfect in the low spots, the floor pans were really nice - EXCEPT where the panels overlapped. That's where the dirt, dust, sand collect and hold water against the steel. Wet dust and dirt get trapped in the teeny gaps between the panels or sheets and the dirt is like a sponge keeping the floor panels wet at the overlap - and even if you wash it, there's still a bit of chemical, salts and dirt that stay there. 
It was interesting on the other Eagle I patched as the floor looked great down below, and even with carpet out it wasn't bad - but the rust was starting between the floor panels so it was very hard to detect.

Yellow lines are rows of spot welds - look where it needed a patch......here I have  patch laid in ready to weld. It was solid in back otherwise, just one spot started. I cleaned the lower layer up good, used Extend rust converter, then weld-through primer on the lower panel, and on the back of the patch. 
I made a slight bevel on the patch to help since I'm not a good welder with a wire welder.

fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 7:25am
Bill, I will gladly take you up on the offer on the hinges. I will be in your neck of the woods in a month, so maybe I can stop by and pick them up. BTW you missed a good time at GAD this year.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 3:40pm
I still have those hinge pieces if you want them. They are spares to me - I'd still have a couple "just in case" and will salvage what I can as far as hinges from the concord here.
Let me know if you want them and where to send 'em. The main problem is that they are black so wouldn't match the doors. 
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 2:42pm
I haven't posted any updates for a while, but work has continued at a slow and steady pace. I have continued to dig into and repair the rot in the drivers side "frame" rail and have posted pictures on several Eagle specific Facebook pages, so for some this might be a rehash of stuff that they have already seen. One of the things that make repairing the rust so hard, is that being a uni-body car, the frame is made up of overlapping sections of sheet metal stampings that are welded together. Since all of these panels contribute to the strength of the  frame, I felt that it was important to open it up to fix it all, and also to search out and destroy the active rust.

Here is the drivers side after it was pretty much all disassembled. Part of the challenge is separating all the metal stampings without destroying the portions of others that you want to keep, all while figuring out what needs to be kept attached to maintain the structural  integrity of the car. I also took careful measurements  of distances and tolerances between the various pieces, so that when I put it back together, all the parts that are attached to the frame would be in their proper place.

Circled is one of the lower attachment points of the panel that also has the upper control arms attached to it, and while it was still there, rust had eaten up part of it, and had thinned what was left. Since it is a complicated part, the initial plan was to reinforce/build up with my welder but,

It was too far gone and had to go. In this picture, you can see one of the wood gauge blocks that I used to maintain proper spacing between all the parts as they were reinstalled.

With some head scratching, some heat, a hammer, some welding and grinding, this is what I made.

And after it was welded to the car, here is what I had.

With that task done, I concentrated on all the pieces parts that were needed to put it back together.

Here is the inside portion with the new parts all welded in. The raised portion is not some fancy fabrication, but a portion of the old stamping that salvaged and welded into the new part.

With the inside all put back together, I went to work on the outside of the frame. In this picture I have already welded all of the inner parts including the inner tie ear (my made up name for the part), as well as the spacers for the strut rod bracket. I took a lot of measurements to make sure that these went back in the correct position. I also made sure that I painted any part that would not be accessible after it was installed with weld through primer, and re-coated it again where I could after it was welded in.

In this picture is the outer frame skin that has had the bottom curved part attached. Doing so was a real PITA as it is a compound curve and the width is not consistent either. In order to make it fit I did it in 3 pieces, and when it was all done had to make some relief cuts, clamp it in place, and fill in the areas that were cut. You can also see that it has 70 holes drilled in it for plug welds

Even though the primer was "weld through" I had problems getting strong plug welds with the welder that I have when using the weld through primer. The solution that I came up with was to clamp the frame rail in place and mark all the plug weld with a sharpie. I then used a hole punch and made 70 little masking patches where every plug weld would be.

And here is what it looked like after it was primed and the tape removed. Now I will be welding to bare steel, and the rest of the metal will be protected with primer

And this is the result after 70 plug welds and also a good deal of butt welding too.

Also made a new u shaped channel and welded in the plate that the strut rod bracket stud threads in to. This was another part that will never be seen, but it was critical that everything is in the proper place for stuff to bolt back up correctly.

And here is the fruit of more hours of labor that I care to admit to, but I know its fixed right, and now that its done, I can honestly say I enjoyed the challenge, but at the same time, I am glad the passenger side is not as bad.

Edited by fhpdave - May/31/2019 at 3:38pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 9:01am
This wagon will be REALLY cool when done - he's got a pair of electric remote mirrors, NOS hatch hinges, extra transmission if needed, good front axles, good hood release cables (rare for Eagle), NOS exhaust head pipe, and the 1982 engine is better and lighter than the 80 258 was. 
I'll dig up the extra hinges I have, and when I get those taken off the Concord can send them over. 
I have spare speedometers and other stuff sitting around here somewhere. 
I think I have extra cruise parts here, too........... unless I sent those along already. 
I love the color of the car.

Electrolysis can be done on a very small scale using ounces of water, a PC power supply or battery, etc. on a kitchen table, or on a large scale involving 1600 gallons of water, a tank made of plywood sheets stood on edge and lined with plastic, welder for power supply, etc.
I've used it since the early 1990s and put my pages up about then. A Ford Falcon club - i believe based on FL - used the info in one of their newsletters, antique motorcycle collectors wrote for permission to copy the info, and tool collectors have used this method as well. The process does not remove the underlying metal and doesn't change the surface, save for removing oxygen bound to the ferrous metal - unlike blasting which pounds the surface to "remove" rust. This won't touch un-rusted surfaces at all as far as changes in texture, etc. If there's no rust, there's no change to the metal surface. 
The cool part for me is that I can set it all up and walk away and do other things while the rust is removed SILENTLY while I am somewhere else. 
I don't have to stand and babysit it, I don't have to be there as I would with blasting or other processes. 
I DO have to periodically clean the electrodes and eventually replace them. I use old lawn mower blades, rebar, other scraps of steel. The only real cost is the laundry soda and electricity - and geesh, you spend more in electricity blasting, etc. - not to mention media, equipment, tips/nozzles and more. 
If your battery charger won't power up across this setup, you simply put a car battery in parallel. No biggy. 
When cleaning up after - you do want to wear water-resistant gloves as it is messy, but the water can be poured in a gravel drive or in the lawn somewhere. Cleaning the electrodes between batches is messy - wear gloves, mask, whatever. It's not deadly but MESSY MESSY MESSY. 
I've used it for over 25 years and still use it.........

Not a great photo - I have a better one somewhere, but shows the part that was in the bucket compared to the part that wasn't - 

Edited by billd - Mar/17/2019 at 9:03am
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 7:22am
Cool project and it reminds me of the ‘81 Concord wagon I had, which is essentially the same car but 2WD. That was definitely impressive metal work there and I learned something about electrolysis and rust removal - I’m going to try both out. 

Edited by sweatlock - Mar/17/2019 at 9:36am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

That looks really good! It also shows that you don't always need fancy tools to make something. That's why I posted pictures of how I used a router to fabricate new aluminum grill trim.
I hope to meet you some day as we share the same motto "All I can say is that I enjoy the challenge". Thumbs Up Handshake

There's more than one reason I have a well-equipped wood shop in my shop's second floor...... I use the table saw and band saw to cut my zinc bars to size and shape for my plating tank, use oak inside control arms and other parts when I press bushings out and in to prevent the collapse of the control arms in the press, and when wind caught the door of my wife's Grand Cherokee years ago and smacked it against a rusted out old truck in the grocery store parking lot - and bent the edge of the door badly enough it would hardly close, I used two pieces of oak cut to the shape the door SHOULD be, clamped to either side of the bend and kept tightening the clamps until the door was back into shape. (I used the right door as a template, simply reversing the pattern I cut into the oak blocks)
i keep wood scraps around, especially oak, 2x's and so on - for automotive work.

But I have to admit - I've never made a part so complex - and that turned out so NICE, as what Dave's done here with that patch. WOW - just WOW.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic