TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My AW4 swap into a '72 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 1:33am
Grab the tcu, flex plate, transmission harnesses (and the mating connectors cut from the Jeep's main harness) shift cable and kick down cable from the Jeep too. The tcu will be found behind the passenger's side dash panel. It should have a green connector if it's the correct one. After 96 model year they went to a black connector. Those later versions need to interface with the vehicle computer (which of course our AMC's don't have) so should be avoided.

It's not entirely correct to say the AW4 is a Toyota transmission. Though versions of it were used by Toyota and Isuzu, it was originally a joint development of AMC and Borg-Warner (now Aisin-Warner). If nothing else, it makes me feel better to know it has the AMC heritage. Smile

Here in the southwest I seem to find about 1 in 10 XJ Cherokees in the wrecking yards are 2WD, but there are a lot of XJs in the yards around here so that helps. Real problem is most have 200k+ miles on them. I lucked out and found an ex USFS vehicle with only 68k miles on it.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/09/2018 at 1:42am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 4:34pm
Ok, Seems there are few out there. I came up with 173 on 52 junk yard search site , including two in Las Vegas . But the question is how many are the needed two wheel drive ? Most Jeeps are four wheel drive. And at over 3K plus for a rebuilt unit means the more common 700R4 or 200R4 looks like a more doable deal. My understanding is the two wheel drive AW4 are not common. The main reason they even made the two wheel drive versions is they count as CARS on CAFE standards instead of the truck CAFE standard. That makes the CAFE look better. Even if you get a four wheel drive version you still need the two wheel parts to convert it to 2WD on the AW4. Rebuilding will cost what it costs, not cheap for getting some one to rebuild an automatic transmission. Automatics are my weak area, as I never took the class in rebuilding auto trannies and there is a bit of trick to them. One of the reason I drove manuals for over 25 years.  LRDaum
LRDaum
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 7:47pm
I found a couple more 2WD AW4 when I was looking for mine. They're also in the Commanche p/u. Probably not as common in snow country, but here in Az they can be found, though obviously a fraction of them compared to 4WD. Fortunately for us the XJ are at the age and sold in such numbers that they are now plentiful in junk yards, so you have lots to choose from.

I might stop at the local U-Pickit tomorrow to see if they have any 2WD. If so, I'll post details here.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/09/2018 at 7:50pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 6:18pm
Went to U-Pick-It in Prescott Valley, AZ today. They have 19 XJ Cherokees, 4 of which are 2WD with AW4. I'll detail them just in case anyone is interested in going there to get one:

98 Cherokee, no stock # visible, no speedo but had 99k miles in 2005 according to an oil change sticker. Row 312

94 Cherokee, stock # 2986, 288k miles, no oil pan on tranny. Row 312. I took the pan off this tranny myself two months ago to replace my own, which had been repaired but still leaked.

93 Cherokee, stock # 3075,166k miles. Row 315

01 Cherokee, stock # 0396, no speedo. Row 319

So as u can see we do have some 2WD Cherokees available here in the southwest, but most of them have high miles now.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/10/2018 at 6:22pm

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 5:55am
I'm sure my AW4 has around 210-230K on it. Had around 140-150K when I put it in, I've put at least 70-80K on it since... maybe as much as 100K. Don't abuse it much and keep it cool, it will last. I just run an external cooler, no radiator cooler. The cooler I use is actually a medium size engine oil cooler, not trans specific. I think the tubes are a bit bigger as well as overall size than trans specific coolers, since most of those assume being in the return line after a radiator trans cooler. Might not be much bigger, but has worked well over the last 15 years/70-80K miles.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 6:39am
depending on city cars, most jeeps rarely get any off road driving. Seen many get most of their milage as commuter drivers, or family wagons, before the  Magnum came about or higher priced Volvo wagons which were a big ticket item in Califorinia. 

My aunt had a 2wd Jeep back in the late 80s.  Though she had to drive off road to get home, as she had farm land property in the back 40.

Most automatics will survive high milage up to 300K if properly maintained, even back in the 80s,  unless you got a GM TH125, which sucked for heavy usage, such as in mini vans... though many 4 doors ended up having issues as well, before 125k

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 6:55am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Most automatics will survive high milage up to 300K if properly maintained, even back in the 80s,  unless you got a GM TH125, which sucked for heavy usage, such as in mini vans... though many 4 doors ended up having issues as well, before 125k

Ive had 125Cs. And I got 200k+.  And my mailman got 400k+ out of his in a cutlass ciera station wagon. The early ones had a few issues. The later ones were very good and had less issues than the 440T4. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 7:08am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Ive had 125Cs. And I got 200k+.  And my mailman got 400k+ out of his in a cutlass ciera station wagon. The early ones had a few issues. The later ones were very good and had less issues than the 440T4. 

Yep, the 125C is the better, just the 125 from 80 on to 86 sucked.  Had the 125c in my 95 Lumina.  Outside of the governor drive gear being trash (plastic) on the output shaft, that tranny put up with my abuse land it had over 170K.  Had to wire the blasted governor to bypass 1st so i coukd have 2nd ,else I had no 2nd at all. Which was a dog to get onto the highway. Outside of that, both the 2500 I4 and 125c were as durable as an AMC engine, when abused.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 12:24pm

Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Yep, the 125C is the better, just the 125 from 80 on to 86 sucked.  Had the 125c in my 95 Lumina.  Outside of the governor drive gear being trash (plastic) on the output shaft, that tranny put up with my abuse land it had over 170K.  Had to wire the blasted governor to bypass 1st so i coukd have 2nd ,else I had no 2nd at all. Which was a dog to get onto the highway. Outside of that, both the 2500 I4 and 125c were as durable as an AMC engine, when abused.
the 125 wss 1980-81.  82up was LU.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 2:48pm
Great write up!  Hopefully, they will make this a sticky.  The one I wrote is pretty chopped up.
I have a 3.54 rear gear behind the AW4 in the Daughter's Javelin.  Still running and driving great.  I had found a couple of companies that can build the AW4 to handle more power but, I can't seem to find the links now. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic