TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Spirit Dash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spirit Dash
    Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 9:21pm
The original owner of my recently purchased 79 Spirit GT protected the front seats with zebra-colored cloth seat covers, as a result the seats look brand new.  However, he glued matching zebra-colored cloth to the dash and dash pad (when asked why, he said that he was 17 when he bought the car new . . .).   I've removed the cloth from the dash, but the adhesive looks impossible to remove (I've tried 3M adhesive remover, and acetone).  My guess is that I have two choices, either get and install another dash and pad, or have an upholstery shop design a custom cover for the dash. 

First questions: How difficult is it to remove, and then install, the dash in a Spirit?  Next question, which years and models have the same dash as a 79 Spirit GT?  I need black, and the rest of the interior is in great shape, only 34,400 miles on the car.

I will try to see the local custom upholsterer this week to get his thoughts.

Tom
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
danalog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 5:49am
As far as I'm aware, the spirit DL and Limited should have the same interior as the gt. Also, by the looks of it, the concord might have the same interior too.
1972 Javelin-AMX. 360-4v/727.
Butterscotch Gold (D5)
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Tomerekson Tomerekson wrote:

First questions: How difficult is it to remove, and then install, the dash in a Spirit?  Next question, which years and models have the same dash as a 79 Spirit GT?

Hi Tom,

You won't have much trouble removing the dash, I've done several and haven't had real trouble to write about.  Just keep track of the hardware as you go.  I have a few pics available of the dash disassembled if you want to see where you're going (PM me).
I've pulled apart the dash from both '79 AMX and '83 GT Spirits, didn't notice anything from behind that was different (sans ducting for an A/C car).  However, being as everything back there is over 35 years old, you might run into some issues (stuck bolts, broken tabs, missing mounts...etc), especially if a 17 year old had worked on it.Wink

Your bigger issue might be in finding an acceptable replacement.

Obviously the metal dash area (near the windshield) can be repainted.  If the vinyl isn't cracked/split/damaged otherwise, it might be best to have it re-colored.
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 10:48am
If you can post a pict, we may have a dash for you.
Blessings
Richard
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 2:26pm
IF needing just the pad, this one has a good pad, plastic is cracked, so can remove the pad if interested $70 + Actual Shipping.

IF complete dash we have a couple with hair line cracks (one has 1 other has 2) at the mounting screw at the windshield, but not broken off and will still mount up well.  $120 + actual shipping.

www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 8:18pm

Here you are, exactly what you asked for...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/1979-amc-amx-black-dash-pad_topic96671.html

2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic