TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exterior Door Handle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exterior Door Handle
    Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 10:25pm
Hello all, I've run into a strange problem with my door handle. I thought perhaps the rod that connects to the handle had fallen out at some point, but the door handle actually broke, and so the rod can't be held in place any longer. Instead of spending the 100 dollars on a new handle and having a very shiny new handle and one old one, I thought maybe I could use some extra parts and weld something on that would be a similar shape. However, I need to know how long that part needs to be for the rod to fit correctly. So does anyone happen to have this very specific bit of knowledge? Or perhaps a picture of the inside of their door that is clear enough to see how long that bit should be? Thank you.

BBO390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 10:41pm
Not sure what kind and model handle you need but maybe someone here has a good used one. 
69 BBO AMX 390 auto 1968 Rogue V8 68 AMX 343 AT 52A Project
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 5:58am
For what car? Any pictures?
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 11:27am
Most door handles are made of POT METAL.  They are next to impossible to weld.
Handles have a lot of stress on them and other methods , epoxy etc will not work in those situations.
Again, model and YEAR and someone may be able to help.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
CoffinMaster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffinMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 12:35am
It's for a 1973 Javelin. I realized it was pot metal after talking to some classmates, and I tried to weld some other pot metal for reference and it didn't weld at all. I'll probably just end up buying a new one sadly.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 5:06pm
If you were closer, I'd give you a used door handle. But you have to take the whole door to get the handle.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 5:56pm
Jeeps used those too along with any AMCs 1968 and up. Not all that hard to find a used one. Do be aware there are both left and right hand versions . Rear doors of an old eagle station wagon are most likely a good source for the donor door handles. They are the same front to back.Only thing is some have a spot for a door lock key and some do not. The ones with a spot for a door lock key are little harder to find. I think even the universal auto parts in most big auto parts stores use to have them on the parts rack ,as they were that common at one time. Not sure about now. Some International Harvester truck used the same door handles too. Beside Jeeps a number of other non AMC/Jeep vehicles seem to use of the door handles too.  LRDaum
LRDaum
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 7:33pm
Check out this thread"
http://theamcforum.com/forum/door-handles_topic65088.html

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 7:46pm
In the case of coffinmaster, his 73 Javelin uses large body door handles. I see a lot of jeep door handles available that will work on small body AMC cars.

Oddly enough, I have no clue to when and what cars the door handles changed, but I have some that fit large bodies and are not factory correct before 75. They are AMC OEM, but may only be from 75 to 79 AMC large bodies, and some Jeeps, and trucks.

I did post a thread on door handles a bit back. Noticing that Triumph used them on the TR3, and in Australia and Canada has semi tractors with said handles.

So I am stuck with the wrong texture handle on my 71, and if wanting your car factory correct, the APD ones are it. It really burns me up that the original owner had purchased NOS handles and put the wrong ones on the doors, while storing the correct ones which I ended up selling before noticing. Of all things every NOS part was correct for the year and body. Just his choice had to be done before 86, when he accumulated all the stuff.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic