TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1976 AMC Sportabout -stalls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 AMC Sportabout -stalls
    Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 12:30pm
I recently purchased a 1976 Sportabout and it ran ok and kept an idle but had been sitting for a long time prior to purchase.  I flushed the radiator (which was pretty clean), changed the water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, fuel pump, new belts, and some carb hoses that were dry rotted, spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gasket (was leaking) and grommets on the top and new pcv valve, and heat sensor by the thermostat.  My thought I was making it better and it should run like a top now... no so much :) ..now it runs for 5-6 min first start up then dies...afterwards has to cool a min and only runs 1-2 min on remaining start ups.. any clues as to what I need to check?  Please keep in I am not a mechanic just learning..

Thanks
David
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 1:27pm
Check the fuel filter. They can plug up quicker than expected. Also try running it with the fuel cap off first to rule out a tank vent problem.

Edited by maximus7001 - Sep/13/2018 at 1:30pm
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 3:34pm
the other thing that I've discovered is to make sure you are not running an ethanol blend fuel, especially in a hot area like you are in.  carbs in general, and the Carter YF and BBD carbs in particular, have percolation/vapor issues that alcohol blended fuels magnify.  I have been working on an 80 Concord for the last few months, and did all the work (and then some) that you've listed as having done on your Hornet, and had the same issue - ran fine for awhile, and then stalling, surging, and not being able to re-start until after it sat for awhile.  Purely on a lark, I needed fuel, and pulled into a station that had one pump with non-alcohol blended fuel.  I was nearly on E, so I put 15 gallons in it, and started up - it literally ran better before I got out of the parking lot. That was 2 months ago, and I haven't had an issue since, except for the 1 time I put 10% ethanol fuel back in it...and bam. stalling, surging and hot restart problems came roaring back as soon as the ambient temp was over 80 degrees outside.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

MaxiBlue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MaxiBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 8:21pm
I'm with 73Gremlin401 on this one.   My 73 Gremlin 232, YF carb hates ethanol blend fuels.  I have side pipes and can even notice a distinct change in tone and it even misses slightly when it has ethanol.  You get used to how your exhaust sounds when it's right under your ear...  Put in any grade pure gas (doesn't have to be premium even) and it runs much better.  The fuel filter and fuel cap ideas are also very valid.
David1972 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 10:55pm
Thanks for the great info! I changed the fuel filter and will grab some non ethanol gas
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2018 at 11:04pm
could be a bad coil after it heats up it acts up you can check them with a ohm meter or just replace it
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 3:33am
I promise you it's a bad Prestolite ignition module. That is precisely what they do when they go bad: the start and run until the module gets hot, then they shut off dead as a doornail until the module cools again. 

I bought my 1977 Hornet from Craigslist. When I called the owner to ask if I could look at it, he told me it would only run for a few minutes before stalling and would not restart for several hours. I knew immediately it was likely the Prestolite module, so I bought a module before I even saw the car and brought it with me when I went to look at the car. I started it, and sure enough it stalled five minutes later. I plugged in the new module, started it up, and it kept running. I bought it and drove it two hours home with no problems. That module lasted several years.

Your module has gone bad.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
David1972 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 10:15am
Thanks I am grabbing a coil and will look for the ignition module -can hurt to have new parts in it
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by David1972 David1972 wrote:

Thanks I am grabbing a coil and will look for the ignition module -can hurt to have new parts in it

Just stick with the 1 fix at a time routine - throwing a whole bunch of parts at it at once may fix it - but then you won't know what it was that actually fixed the issue.  Gasoline is cheap and you need it anyway, so start there.

I do agree on the Prestolite issue - if it's barfed it's resin all over the inner fender, that's a sure sign it's on it's way out.

The other thing to check, even though this doesn't fall under the symptoms you are describing, is to check the vacuum advance on the distributor. The Prestolite setup is notorious for ruptured diaphragms in the distributor, pull the hose from the source and suck on it - if there's no resistance from the distributor, you'll need to replace that as well - but again, this has zero to do with your symptom, but will go a long way to make the car run better overall.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

David1972 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 12:26pm
thanks .. yes I agree about the parts ..but so far they have been cheap so figure swap them out.  Glad you mentioned about the resin as there is black resin on the inside of the fender inside the engine compartment  and I wondered what that was!  thanks  I ordered another one but nothing instore so will await its arrival.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic