TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

6 Barrel 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 12:58pm
Mopar, cut to fit, paint to match... Wink

6speedamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6speedamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 2:15pm
How about an 8 barrel?...lol...not for sale and I have never seen another one nor has anyone else (AMC guys) I have spoke to...Its set up for 48ida Webers...Getting the new carbs done as I write this and going to go on top a 401 in a 72 Gremlin X...Here is my inspiration!

Edited by 6speedamc - Sep/14/2018 at 2:18pm
64290Americanconv-ForSale
69Jav390-DadboughtNew!
69BBBJav3904spModpkg-ForSale
69BBBAMX
SC/R-A,RWBMachine,TAJav
70BBB3904spAMX-ForSale
70BBOAMX
70BBGDonohue
SC360,72GremlinX3905spd
72P.C.Jav/AMX74AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by 6speedamc 6speedamc wrote:

How about an 8 barrel?...lol...not for sale and I have never seen another one nor has anyone else (AMC guys) I have spoke to...Its set up for 48ida Webers...Getting the new carbs done as I write this and going to go on top a 401 in a 72 Gremlin X...Here is my inspiration!

Cool cut and graft job.... Looks like a home brew pan with grafted Mopar setup runners.

Seen a full setup from an old 70s car mag. It was in an AMC Hornet or Grem. Just remember some AMC logos

My uncle had many from late 60s to early 70s when he did power boat racing. I hated noise from shop work so I did not stick around, let alone he was not so keen on having a kid be around active machinery.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 12:22pm
Understanding is this is one of a very few Traco Intake Manifolds for 1968-69 TransAm Javelins
when 2 4-Barrel Carburetors were allowed, like when Chevy had the CrossRam 302...

pwrslide View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrslide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 4:33pm
Nice...I really wanted to do a similar setup on my Matador with CAN-AM style staggered velocity stacks through the hood. 
pwrslide View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrslide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Understanding is this is one of a very few Traco Intake Manifolds for 1968-69 TransAm Javelins
when 2 4-Barrel Carburetors were allowed, like when Chevy had the CrossRam 302...

Very cool vintage piece! Multiple carbs are it for me
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 6:14pm
I can't remember where I got this pic, (would give credit if could remember) but I want to do this someday! I even have three aluminum intakes sitting waiting until I can find a talented enough person to take on the project!

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
70amxpaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 6:26pm
That is really a cool intake with 3 2's....the linkage should be interesting to figure out. I would purchase one if made available. 
1970 red AMX 390 4speed AM FM rally PAC go PAC tilt rim blow black leather service block 60 over Canton pan Ross piston Indy intake Eddie heads Crane roller cam kit Ford 9 posi roll bar 65000 miles
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Looks like it has short runners and a large plenum.
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:10pm
Over on the CRG Camaro Research Group Forum, where I found quite a bit of good info
about CrossRam Inatkes and Carburetors I came across this post in a "Traco Fans" thread
about the AMC Dual 4 Barrel Inline Intake Manifold pictured above, posted by a Traco employee...
Pretty amazing first-hand "was there when it happened" stuff man...
There is quite a bit of interesting TRACO info and articles posted there...

And a couple "choice" snipit quotes from Traco Employee "Pigpen" ( Mr. Edward (Gene) Owen )

"I'm sorry but it's been way too long for me to remember the torque curves for TRACO's T/A engines (or any for that matter),
 but 475-490 HP was a good number for the Chevys, on TRACO's dyno...
 The AMC T/A (304) engines were a little better, around 510-520 HP on the Dyno..."

"Yep, 40 years is too long to remember HP stats, at least for me.  The only thing I'm sure of is that
the AMC (304) engines put out a little more than the Chevys."

CRG Forum Post by "OG69Z", with reply by "Pigpen" (Traco Employee):

Hello Gene, aka Pigpen,
     First, I’d like to thank you for your time and efforts to share a part of your life with us on this forum. Your first hand experiences can and do lend a hand to the legendary name of Traco.
     Growing up in Southern California during Traco’s Trans-am days, I can attest to not only the “street” reputation, but also of the “mystic” that surrounded anything Traco’s name was on. 
      I was fortunate in 2005, to acquire and restore a 1969 AMX that had been raced in the 70’s. When found, it was equipped with several Traco specific components. The unique Traco two four barrel intake manifold being the most prominent. Our forum has a brief description and history on the car and the Traco manifold. You can find it posted under entry #9 here:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8069.msg66670;topicseen#msg66670

As posted, I feel fortunate to have received some great recollections from Stewart Van Dyne concerning Traco’s AMC program, and primarily the Traco intake.  I hope you may be able to add to the history of this special intake manifold.
     As I understand it, the intake was initially engineered for the Trans-am program. Photos of a similar intake with a single four barrel top have surfaced showing use on the Trans-am Javelins. I have not been able to find any clear photos of the Dual Four  being used on the Javelins though. Do you have any recollections of this Dual Four Intake?  Stewart remembered dyno times with the manifold, and believed it was tested or briefly used on a Javelin before the rule change. He also thought  it may have later been tried on the Matador, but I believe he was away from Traco by then.
     As stated in the forum post,  it’s a terrific running manifold. 
      On another note, you might recall a Traco designed AMC lifter retainer. It shows typical Traco execution, beautifully formed of stainless steel. I am still using it in the AMX, and wouldn’t think of running an AMC without one.
        Again Gene, thank you in advance for any tales you may have concerning my intake, but most importantly, your contributions to this forum.
Best Regards,
Robert

Response from Pigpen ( Mr. Edward (Gene) Owen ):

Yes I was involved with the design and testing of that manifold along with many other people at TRACO. I'm surprised Stewart remembers it, he was up to his ears in Offys and had little time for anything else, he was TRACO's Offy expert, and later proved to be one of the foremost Offy experts in the industry.

A little background; Many of the earlier TRACO track engines were built using Weber carbs, 1 cylinder / 1 carburetor, easy to jet and tune, lots of breathing capacity.

The Chevy factory supplied TRACO with a dual in-line 4-barrel prototype manifold (not the Cross Ram) on which we spent a lot of time gluing in runners at the bottom of the plenum to equal out the flow, eventually the factory modified their pattern to match what we'd done and a number of the manifolds were produced. We also performed a similar series of tests for the Cross Ram, which Chevy used to make improvements.

From what we learned on the Chevy manifolds and our Weber experience, we designed the AMC manifold to mimic (as much as possible) a 1 cyl / 1 Carb design, but with a common plenum (rules is rules). That strange plenum design (you mentioned) was the result and worked quite well.

The 304 CID AMC Trans AM engines had been tuned to the maximum using a single 850 Holly (or was it 800), so when we attached the dual 4-B manifold, which allowed for a serious increase in breathing, we found that the added horsepower reduced the life expectancy of the engines from 1 to 2 races to about 1/4 race. They were fine for the drags, but the Cam and lifters would have to be changed for any serious track use. About that time, the rule about using 1 4-B was issued, pretty much ending the work on that project for Trans Am. The Matador, under NASCAR rules, could only have a 1 4-B set up.

What Stewart mentioned about the cam bearings was right on, the bearings were compressed and spun right out of their journals, welding themselves to the cam. We tried a few things and finally ended up using a special Aluminum Bronze alloy for the cam bearings.

I do remember the first time that manifold was dyno tested on a 304, The torque curve just kept climbing and climbing, everyone in the shop was cheering and yelling "Go Baby Go". I don't remember the exact horse output, but it easily broke the 1.7 horse per CID rule of thumb for a normally aspirated track engine.

Pigpen

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/27/2018 at 8:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic